Inflation

My DW and DD have commented that prices for some "same-for-same" items at Trader Joe's in southwest Florida are 15-25% higher than in SC and Chicagoland. I don't have the specific items, but they are savvy shoppers and I trust their observation. They reported that there were no items here in the sunny south that cost less. Maybe it is logistics, maybe it is a snowbird affect, maybe it is some type of "inflation".

About 7 yrs ago , when in Hawaii, Oahu to be specific.
I stopped in a ABC store and the mile was over $10 / gallon.
Compared to my home Aldi store it was $1.xx / gallon.

But that is not inflation. Just different regional prices.

I've noticed a lot of craft beer going for $80 to $100 for one 24 count case of 12 ounce bottles at my local beer store. I'm pretty sure no beer is worth that much, but apparently someone is buying this stuff, lol. Some of the cheap stuff went up about 8 % a year ago.

Come to Wisconsin. We'll get you into a sixer of quality craft beer for $7.69.

Edit: Now that I think of it, I recently bought a case of Sam Adams assorteds for $24.99 from Costco.

About 7 yrs ago , when in Hawaii, Oahu to be specific.
I stopped in a ABC store and the mile was over $10 / gallon.
Compared to my home Aldi store it was $1.xx / gallon.

But that is not inflation. Just different regional prices.

Yes. Paid $5 for a gallon of milk at Costco the other day. Don't know what the ABC store charges now (heh, heh, haven't really been in one since I was a tourist 15 years ago.) BUT as tourists, we always thought the exaggerated prices at ABC were okay because they allowed us to eat the cereal we brought with us and save the cost of a breakfast at exaggerated prices in the hotel or elsewhere in Waikiki.

Locally, what I've been seeing for quite some time is inflation in prices of, for instance, canned goods. Not only are prices going up but sizes are going down. The shipping companies used to blame their inflated charges to rising fuel costs - now they blame Covid. Most things are "imported" from the mainland or elsewhere so shipping costs add a lot. That may be what I've been whining about for 10 years, inflation wise. The high cost of Paradise is real - but still worth it, though YMMV.

... Just different regional prices.

Sure. I don't think anyone would argue with regional pricing for things in Oahu. Or Guam, or Alaska. Personally, I wouldn't consider southwest Florida to be a different region from the southeastern US, so I was surprised at the difference in prices. Same retailer, same products, vastly different prices.

Over the Covid lockdowns I observed prices going up a lot for my grocery shopping, but in the last two weeks they've come back to pre-pandemic levels. This was especially noticeable at the local butcher shop, that has some really good deals now. I contrast that with articles like this one about employers not being to find employees:
https://www.npr.org/2021/02/15/9663...some-employers-wonder-why-cant-i-find-workers

My younger brother is an independent truck driver and has found lots of lucrative side jobs doing work other than truck driving (most involve heavy equipment operation of some sort).

Even the CBO rated the stimulus package as both reducing the number of jobs, and lifting people out of poverty which would seem to make inflation more likely.

While I think the Federal Reserve will keep inflation in check, what I hear as far as jobs data reporting seems to put a lot of pressure toward higher inflation in the future few years. It is an interesting time for sure.

According to USDA...
In 2020, food-at-home prices increased 3.5 percent and food-away-from-home prices increased 3.4 percent. The CPI for all food increased 3.4 percent over this same period. In general, food price inflation in 2020 was much higher than in 2018 (0.4 percent), 2019 (0.9 percent), and the 20-year average (2.0 percent).Jan 25, 2021

Lots of things disrupted the food supply in 2020, including stockpiling food.

The biggest source of inflation for me over the last 3-4 years has been taxes. Sales tax is at a record HI, over 10%. Car tabs are more than doubled. Property tax is up again. Now the guv wants a wealth tax and a new state [-]income[/-] capital gains tax (Capital gains are no longer income. Who knew?)

I can fight back a little. There is a Costco that is a few miles farther from me but is in a different county. The sales tax is about 2 percentage points lower. But, unless I want to move to a different area, I am stuck with the property tax going up and the higher car tabs. "It's all for good causes". Well, I would hope so!

Oh, the main reason for the higher car tabs is a big mass transit initiative that passed a few years ago. Alas, due to less driving and less public use of transit, they project being over 11 Billion dollars in the hole over the next decade. So they are asking the state legislature to help out. Lucky us.

So, the #1 cause of inflation in my life is government taxes. :eek:

Come to Wisconsin. We'll get you into a sixer of quality craft beer for $7.69.

Edit: Now that I think of it, I recently bought a case of Sam Adams assorteds for $24.99 from Costco.

Wow, $25 a case for Sam Adams sounds cheap. I haven't been checking Sam Adams lately but it's one of those $39.99 a case beers, probably. Thank God my local place has some great sales on craft beer. Half price sometimes. I never pay more than $25 a case for the good stuff. Just not worth it to me. We have Yuengling in bottles for $19.99 a case, which I do often buy, when I run out of the on-sale craft beer. Latest find : Blue Point Winter Ale. Full price $45 I think, on sale for $19.99. Excellent stuff, imho.

Wow, $25 a case for Sam Adams sounds cheap. I haven't been checking Sam Adams lately but it's one of those $39.99 a case beers, probably. Thank God my local place has some great sales on craft beer. Half price sometimes. I never pay more than $25 a case for the good stuff. Just not worth it to me. We have Yuengling in bottles for $19.99 a case, which I do often buy, when I run out of the on-sale craft beer. Latest find : Blue Point Winter Ale. Full price $45 I think, on sale for $19.99. Excellent stuff, imho.

Wisconsin has the lowest state excise tax on beer in the country, 6 cents a gallon.

1 pound jar of peanuts went from $1.89 to $1.95 at Aldi a month ago. Seems like a normal inflation amount, with or without covid. Still getting great sale prices on certain food items here and there, and so I stock up. But eggs were $1.60 a dozen large 2 weeks ago. Up from $1.19. Milk is up from $2.09 a half gallon to $2.35 a half gallon.

Pretty much everything at our local HEB stores has had price increases the past 2-3 months. Far too many examples to list here, but the price increases in many cases aren't trivial. The largest increases are in dairy, deli, and frozen.

Surprisingly, what hasn't gone up much in cost, as far as I can tell, is fresh produce. Not sure why.

Some food prices near us have definitely gone up. One of the local dollar stores, 99 Cents Only, actually has very nice produce and variable upscale items on closeouts, so it is easy to see what is not a $1 anymore. Portabello mushrooms have gone up from $1 to $1.50 a package. For people on a tight budget that is quite a big percent jump. Little rice / veggies curry type side dishes used to be $1 a pack. The latest were $2. Our favorite dark chocolate bars used to be $1, now $1.50. But there are still a lot of items that are great buys at $1, like summer squash was 2 pounds for $1, fresh Brussels sprouts for $1 a pound, assorted fancy chutneys for $1 each, bags of 8 or so small avocados for $2.50, and a big bag of fresh mint for $1.

Okay, while still anecdotal in nature, and keeping in mind that my drink of choice is diet cola, 3 years ago, I got upset with costco because they raised their 36-12oz case from $10.59 to $10.99. A few months back there were a series of increases that ended up at $13.49. Just a couple of weeks ago, it went to $14.79. I don't know what the percentages are, but it's a bunch. YMMV

My healthcare MediGap policy announced a new premium, 9% reduction.

I was going to buy a large hamburger buns for a good burger at dinner time. Price was too high. About $3.50 for 8 buns. Decided to use a small one I have stored in the freezer.

Took a long trip yesterday. Started early, came home late. During the day, most of the stations along my trip raised prices about 20 to 30 cents, just in that one day.

Arghhh!

A dozen basic grade A large eggs $1.99 today at the discount place.

February CPI just released is 7.9% year-over-year, matching economists' prediction.

Next month, I suspect it may be even higher due to oil price.

Decided to paint the master bath. Its been years since I purchase paint, thus my sticker shock of the $43/gal price for mid grade Behr Home Depot paint. Seems like it was about $20/gal last time I painted anything.

Just got back from Lowes, bought 1 gal deck stain. Last year $34 this year $47, not good.
Oldmike

Okay, while still anecdotal in nature, and keeping in mind that my drink of choice is diet cola, 3 years ago, I got upset with costco because they raised their 36-12oz case from $10.59 to $10.99. A few months back there were a series of increases that ended up at $13.49. Just a couple of weeks ago, it went to $14.79. I don't know what the percentages are, but it's a bunch. YMMV

The supermarket where I buy my zero sugar drinks has raised the base prices, but they still have sale prices that have not change. For example, the non-sale price of a six bottle pack of Coke Zero has gone up from $4.39 to $5, but about once every 4-5 weeks it goes on sale 5 for $11, the as they have been doing for several years.

Back
Top Bottom