International stocks question

I see my fly poop analogy was a little too much for you boys.

I offer the barchart website as an easy way to follow those Markets. I've been leaning towards the Developed Mkts as opposed to the Emerging Mkts. But I haven't bought anything specific to supplement the Intl tilt in the SP500.

Even VXUS returns 14% YTD. I'm thinking of moving my money there. Forget about VEA and VWO. One stop shopping for this gal.

Even VXUS returns 14% YTD. I'm thinking of moving my money there. ...
Wise. It's up recently, but per JP Morgan: "It will fluctuate."

Just curious: What is your home country equity bias? 50% VXUS & 50% US total market would mean no bias, since US is about 50% of the investable market worldwide.

We are at about 35% international right now, mostly VGTSX. I have seen data that says this is the sweet spot for minimizing volatility.

I think there is an argument for 50/50 though, particularly now with the unusually strong dollar. I have a small test portfolio with DFA funds that is 50/50.

Most of this investing stuff is pretty clear if you believe the academic research, but the usual suspects (Bogle, Bernstein, Ellis, etc.) are really all over the map on home country bias. :(

I'm less than 20% of my portfolio, but more VEA than VWO. If I can believe Vanguard portfolio analyzer it says I'm 57% in stocks. I doubt it. So maybe I'm about 30-40% in international.

Last edited:
I have below 50% in US. But being in Europe, I have a slightly different perspective.

Just two trackers right now: an all-world one, and an emerging one. May wind down the emerging one, it was a temporary thing with US being richly valued.

I have 15 % of my equity part in international, its been a dog. But i set it and im forgetting it.

If you truly want to set it and forget it, that's fine. But you could also take note of the fact that these things run in cycles.

Just as an example, one of my holdings is DFE (Europe Small Cap). Up 27% for one year, way better than its benchmark. A long term approach is great, but trends can be very useful.

You might want to consider adjusting your settings from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom