Introverts: what are your hobbies?

emmaswan

Dryer sheet aficionado
As a card-carrying introvert, I love spending time alone by myself, with my thoughts, and with SO. During the pandemic, I rediscovered some old hobbies and found some new ones, namely:

(1) walking
(2) looking for spare change while walking
(3) finding cheap eats around us
(4) blogging every day and really enjoying it

I'm looking to pick up new hobbies (preferably one that I can do alone or with SO) and would love to hear ideas from this group!

I have way too many hobbies. I do a lot of fiber arts (spinning, dyeing, knitting, crocheting). I also garden and cook a lot. I read quite a bit. Pre-pandemic I did a fair bit of travel. I used to homebrew and occasionally judge at beer competitions but I haven't for a couple of years now.

Playing non-violent video games by myself (mainly Animal Crossing). Intently searching the internet for info on various topics that do not bore me (this month: JFK assassination, MH370 airplane disappearance). Posting here.

-Amateur radio/shortwave listening/part 15 broadcasting
-Building electronic gear and blogging about it (closely related to the above)
-Photography
-Working on, and traveling in my campervan

The next are not so much hobbies, as ways I spend my time -

-Working on, and riding my bicycle
-Hanging out with my cat
-Hanging out with my best friend
-Drinking endless cups of tea
-Wondering why I keep going to the bathroom (closely related to the above)

Birding (and traveling for same), cooking, gardening, reading.

Reading
Crochet
Exercise: walking, biking, kayaking, Pilates
Genealogy
Volunteer activities, especially at my church
Gardening

Kayaking
Canoeing with my dog
Fishing
Motorcycling (on and off road)
Hiking with my dog
Flying small planes
Woodworking

I spend a lot of time online at this and another financial forum.
I play various games on my phone.
I sell collectibles on ebay.
I exercise.
I do most of the cooking in our house.

I believe if a person can find anything of interest to them, then pursue it to the next level. For myself I enjoy the outdoors and everything about it and the many things we can do alone outdoors.
I too have learned to enjoying just learning about things and I can do it online. It is amazing how I enjoy researching etc. but I wouldn't call it a hobby.

A garden is a great thing to watch and look after and is fun.

Last edited:
I don't think I really qualify as an introvert. I spend a lot of my free time with my circle of retired friends. But my hobbies are golf and working on classic or unique cars, and I am down to one car to mess with. So it's been more golf and less car stuff.

I have a small terrier (male) and we walk a lot, maybe 2 miles a day on a good day.

Reading
Cooking
Gardening (spring and summer)
Time on the forum (sometimes too much!)
Taking care of DGS one day a week
Walking or going to small local gym
DH and I go for nice drives 1-2 times a week, usually no more than a few hours, sometimes a day trip

Less of an introvert than I used to be. Cribbage (card game) at a senior center once a week. Cooking. Getting DVDs from the library. Reading once in a while, usually human history or natural history. Used to do home brewing. Open unformatted discussion group at senior center once a week, I really enjoy this one. Avoiding my neighbor. Fixing stuff around the house. Decluttering. And much more.

My activities are more and more non-competitive. For instance, I used to belong to a running club but stopped seeing the sense in trying to beat a time plus the people were not a relaxed group and clickish.

Some current activities:
Exercise - running, walking, stretching
Plein Air watercolors and drawing
Gardening - almost all ornamentals (the lemon tree is practically dead, too much fretilizer maybe)
Investing - have an active methodology that trades in asset classes (Vanguard index funds) maybe 3 times a year
Reading - mostly fiction, mysteries and crime novels
Wordl - have not gone over 6 guesses yet but someday it will get me ... :rolleyes:
ER.org - starting silly threads

If you're out walking anyway, you should sign up on iNaturalist. I can spend hours slow-walking my property looking for plants, insects, lizards, etc. It is surprisingly fun to identify a species you've never noticed before, plus your observations can be used by the scientific community for research.

https://www.inaturalist.org

As a strong Introvert I enjoy most of the same things my extrovert friends enjoy. The difference is that at the end of an activity with other people, my extrovert friends are ready for another such adventure immediately if not sooner. I am ready to do something personal such as read a good book, print a photo I particularly like, or putter around in the garage. Lately, I have been thinking of taking up painting, probably with water colors.

Last edited:
1. Working on my old cars, everything from frame up. Hot rodding them: swapping suspensions, engines, transmissions, rearend, interior stuff, body repairs, etc. Basically anything except final paint mainly because I don't have a paint booth. I don't really like sheetmetal work and paint, but do them as part of the process up to final paint.
2. Working on house and yard projects. House repairs or improvements, yard plants and maintenance, keeping house equipment maintained or repairs. Almost everything that needs to be done around the house.
3. Reading, mostly internet forums that I am interested in (like this one).
4. Increasing my financial knowledge.
5. Regular car maintenance.
6. Going to car shows with friends.

I've been really enjoying watching interesting technical engineering, self-reliance and repair videos on Youtube. Everything from generators, HVAC, solar backup solutions, pool and property maintenance, auto-repair, preparedness, science and space technologies, finance stuff.

So much to learn and so little time.

My main hobbies are:

(1) Online forums such as this one.

(2) Strat-o-Matic baseball, a hobby I began playing back in 1973 but only took it up again in 2006 after a long layoff. I play with cards and dice, not the PC version which came out in the 1990s during my layoff.

(3) I play some bridge on line, but only to play hands against robots, not with other people.

(4) I play Scrabble about once a week with a good friend, in person.

I used to have 2 social activities with other people. One was square dancing, but in 2018 the caller passed away and I wasn't interested in continuing with another caller. The other was school Scrabble with several area schools, but Covid ended that 2 years ago (along with teacher retirements). I don't plan to return to that even if the schools resume the clubs (and get teachers to run them).

As a strong Introvert I enjoy most of the same things my extrovert friends enjoy. The difference is that at the end of an activity with other people, my extrovert friends are ready for another such adventure immediately if not sooner. I am ready to do something personal such as read a good book, print a photo I particularly like, or putter around in the garage. Lately, I have been thinking of taking up painting, probably with water colors.

Watercolor is a deceptively difficult medium. I think this is because you cannot easily correct mistakes as you can with opaque media (like oils or acrylics). But it is a lot of fun if you are not critical of your many first attempts. Try to buy good quality materials i.e. artist grade paint and good brushes plus good paper. You don't want to struggle against inferior tools.

Here is one web site that I think is fun to visit. It also has a materials section. Shari is a well known Canadian artist (Montreal) and posts often: https://shariblaukopf.com/
She has some freebee videos too and you can see some stuff on youtube.

Reading
Walking
Gardening
Yoga
Learning Foreign Languages
Baking. Currently, I'm learning how to make gluten free bread. Not an easy task.
Going down rabbit holes researching whatever has caught my interest.

Back
Top Bottom