iPhone 6 battery issue

6S+ 98% Peak performance capacity. If reboot my phone when I am finished using it, it will maintain battery several hours.

I did the same and I don't believe it. Once I get lower than 60% capacity, the battery goes to 30% in a couple of hours without use - it never did that 6 months ago.

I don't quite buy what apple is saying about the capacity. it May be 96% of the original but the discharge curve seems to have changed. Also it seems to self discharge when capacity is lower.

Fortunately about 3 weeks ago I scheduled a replacement with Apple and I am about to leave in the next hour to get it replaced. Will post again in this thread with my observations with a new battery

Follow-up report, made appointment and showed up at the Apple store on a Friday afternoon expecting it to be empty. Was very surprised to see it PACKED. Since it has been a very long time since I set foot in a Apple store not sure if this is normal or not. Quite possibly the crowd might be due to it being Good Friday.

In anycase, got my phone back after an hour of handing it over - which was quite impressive considering the number of people who had showed up with the very same request.

After about a day of use, the iphone 6 feels like a new phone, the screen freezing up momentarily when I scrolled has gone away. The phone feels very responsive compared to the same phone on an old battery, and the battery does not drop by 60% overnight - only about 15% which is to be expected.

I think I can easily get a couple of more years of use out of this phone. I am loathe to spend $800 to $1k on a _phone_ that needs replacing every 2 years.

So yeah - $29 was well worth it! YMMV

Follow-up report, made appointment and showed up at the Apple store on a Friday afternoon expecting it to be empty. Was very surprised to see it PACKED. Since it has been a very long time since I set foot in a Apple store not sure if this is normal or not. Quite possibly the crowd might be due to it being Good Friday.

In anycase, got my phone back after an hour of handing it over - which was quite impressive considering the number of people who had showed up with the very same request.

After about a day of use, the iphone 6 feels like a new phone, the screen freezing up momentarily when I scrolled has gone away. The phone feels very responsive compared to the same phone on an old battery, and the battery does not drop by 60% overnight - only about 15% which is to be expected.

I think I can easily get a couple of more years of use out of this phone. I am loathe to spend $800 to $1k on a _phone_ that needs replacing every 2 years.

So yeah - $29 was well worth it! YMMV

Thanks for the follow-up. The symptoms on my IPhone 6 are similar to what you described. I'm reading max capacity at 91%. It's about one year old. It gets used as an Internet access device extensively (while we're on RVing trips) so the battery has been depleted and recharged very frequently, sometimes more than once a day.

I'm going to go to Google and find my closest Apple store and make an appointment.

Last edited:
I'm still running iOS 10.3.3 on my iPhone 6 due to all the battery craze. This summer I'll likely replace the battery, and with a recharge during the day and having a battery case, it has met my needs so far. Idk: is it really worth it to upgrade to the latest version of iOS 11 whatever that is ?

Thanks, Rich

Thanks for the follow-up. The symptoms on my IPhone 6 are similar to what you described. I'm reading max capacity at 91%. It's about one year old. It gets used as an Internet access device extensively (while we're on RVing trips) so the battery has been depleted and recharged very frequently, sometimes more than once a day.

I'm going to go to Google and find my closest Apple store and make an appointment.

It took about 3 weeks since I visited the apple website requesting a replacement to getting one. I got a follow-up call in a week from an apple rep telling me it was going to be a 2-5 week wait until a local store had the battery in stock (it took 2 weeks) -he also said that I did NOT need an appointment.

Well subsequent to the callback from AppleCare (or somesuch), my local store called me and asked if I wanted to make an appointment and I am glad I did - while I was waiting a lady showed up without an appointment and was told it would be a 3-4 hours wait. So definitely make an appointment!

Another observation: about 20% of the people who had come in for battery replacements left with a new (refurbished/new?) phone as the Rep claimed that the touch sensor had issues. I was not as lucky (my screen had a small crack at the very bottom - and I would not mind the trade). Still I had a new battery for a nominal amount a phone that felt new!

I'm still running iOS 10.3.3 on my iPhone 6 due to all the battery craze. This summer I'll likely replace the battery, and with a recharge during the day and having a battery case, it has met my needs so far. Idk: is it really worth it to upgrade to the latest version of iOS 11 whatever that is ?

Thanks, Rich

There were a number of security patches in the new updates - so I would upgrade. Although wait a few weeks since 11.3 was just released on Thursday and there may be undiscovered bugs.

Got my 6 battery replaced yesterday at Best Buy, paying the $29. So far, so good. This after battery went from 100% to 11% without any use sitting in my car for four hours a couple of days ago. From 12pm yesterday to this morning, battery went from 40% to 11% with quite a bit of use. Much better.

The phone had become somewhat useless as a smart phone prior. I didn’t trust electronic boarding passes, couldn’t use google maps longer than about twenty minutes in Boston last weekend, Uber was a battery suck. Now, I hope to have a useful tool again. (I got by fine without it last weekend, made me think about going back to a simpler, less expensive phone).

Last edited:
I double checked the battery life improvements in 11.3 and it definitely states that for the iPad they did something to help protect the battery if one is prone leaving it on the charger for long periods of time.

iPad charge management

• Maintains battery health when iPad is connected to power for prolonged periods of time, such as when it is used in kiosks, point-of-sale systems, or stored in charging carts.
I don't know if this applies to the iPhone but since it specifically mentions the iPad, I suspect it does not.

Here is Apple's explanation of how they manage batteries:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208387

Last edited:
........ Sooo after being a lifelong Apple person I switched out to Samsung Galaxy phone and am very happy with it. This was 6 months ago so this news about the battery being intentially slowed down by Apple is somewhat vindicating for me that I was not nuts...that my phone truly had an issue. However, I will never go back to IPhone. Samsung is so much better, user friendly and far out performs Apple :)

+1
I got an iPhone 3 when they came out, and an iPad about a couple months later. I upgraded to an iPhone 6 as soon as it became available, and have upgraded iPads twice. In December ‘16 the iPhone 6 started having the battery drain issue, dropping from 90+% to 20-30% in a matter of less than 2 hours while not being used. I’d also been having other issues with it, like ghost typing because it was designed so flimsily that the phone actually flexed, and a few other issues. I finally got fed up with the hassles, and upgraded from the iPhone 6 to a Samsung Galaxy 7 in March ‘17. Absolutely LOVE the Galaxy, so much so that when it’s time to upgrade our iPads (soon!), I’m dumping Apple and going with Samsung tablets. I seriously doubt I could ever go back to an Apple phone.

+1
II finally got fed up with the hassles, and upgraded from the iPhone 6 to a Samsung Galaxy 7 in March ‘17. Absolutely LOVE the Galaxy, so much so that when it’s time to upgrade our iPads (soon!), I’m dumping Apple and going with Samsung tablets. I seriously doubt I could ever go back to an Apple phone.

Thanks for your thoughts on the Galaxy. What do you find it does better than the iPhone 6?

How does it integrate with your other devices and computers?

I am curious about that because, though I like Apple and have not had the problems you have mentioned, the prices of some Apple equipment are getting scary. And they seem to be abandoning the Mac which puts another dent in their Ecosystem (a big reason to get all Apple equipment).

OTOH, Apple is very security conscious and that is an important issue also, IMHO. And the Apple Store has saved my bacon several times, at no additional cost to me.

After reading this thread earlier in the year, and not having any real battery issues with my iPhone 6, I decided to wait and see. In recent weeks I started to notice a more rapid discharge, particularly when the charge got below 70%. It would drop from 70% to 50% with only a few minutes usage.

So, I made an appointment at Best Buy. 1 hour and $29 later, I now have my phone back with a new battery:)

FWIW, the battery health app was showing 92% capacity, as did the diagnostic test at Best Buy. So, IMHO, it is a useless app

Back
Top Bottom