Ireland?

I am thinking of traveling to Dublin in July and have a bit more mundane question.

What's the power/electric situation there? Will I need a converter for my US gadgets? If so, any recommendations?

I am thinking of traveling to Dublin in July and have a bit more mundane question.

What's the power/electric situation there? Will I need a converter for my US gadgets? If so, any recommendations?

There are different kind of adapters... and depending on the electronics you may only need a plug adapter... **Most** modern electronics automatically handle the higher voltage, 50hz. But not all. You'll need to look at the power plugs you have. Some more sensitive equipment might need a transformer type power adapter.

If it uses USB to charge - you can buy a simple plug-to-usb adapter - and charge everything with that.

Looking at my laptop plug, for example - the brick portion of the plug says its rated for 110-220v, 50-60hz... so I'd only need a plug conversion adapter - not an adapter with a transformer. My other devices (camera, cell, tablet, etc) all have usb chargers.

Regarding electricity in Ireland. It's 220v while the USA is 110v. However, many electronic devices such as laptops, iPads, etc. will support the range of voltage and will work. You'll just need a cheap UK plug adapter because the sockets are different. Check the voltage requirements on your gadgets first. If they don't support 220v you'll need a converter.

Note: many Irish sockets have a switch. Make sure it's on to avoid wasting time...plugged in, but not powering.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom