Is paper really that expensive?

So I go to CVS and buy a pack of gum with my "Care Card." The register regurgitates 10 feet of (mostly worthless) coupons. I'm not exaggerating too much here - maybe just a little.

One of my drugs is free so I don't pay CVS anything for it. But I still get one of those mile-long receipts! I think I have used ONE of those coupons in all the years I have shopped with them, only because I forgot to buy something with the purchase and that same item was magically among the sea of coupons. Usually, the coupon is for the item I just bought!

I have not used any cash in the USA during the last 20 months.
Everything (even 69¢ of broccoli) goes on a credit card.

A few years ago I decided to do the same. If I get any change I save it for Salvation Army at year's end.

Now I get impatient when I see someone trying to make exact change for a cashier. My friend refuses to use a credit card and claims he saves more money by being forced to use real dollars. I point out the extra $'s from rewards but to no avail. :rolleyes: :)

I have pretty much stopped using ATMs any more. But this is mostly due to not spending as much cash as I used to. When my weekly square dancing ended in July of 2018 (the caller became ill and sadly died 4 months later), that took about half of my monthly cash usage away. I get a check every month from someone who owes me money, so when I deposit it, I make a split deposit and get my total monthly cash that way. I happen to prefer mostly $10 bills, so I need a teller to give me the correct denominations.

At BofA, I recall the ATM asking me if I wanted the receipt email only or print or print+email.

It's like Olive Garden only giving one olive on a plate (hello... its called OLIVE Garden)... most of the customers don't eat them so OG ends up throwing out a lot of olives.

No, they don't throw them out; they put them in the garden.

I use ATMs fairly often, monthly at least. Seems to me that many of them ask if I want a receipt instead of printing one automatically. That would be a better solution.

Wells asks if you want a receipt or email or none.

I would say tooth to tail: ordering paper, storing paper, installing paper, etc. Its not just the paper. Its the time and labor far more importantly. Plus a floor full of receipts does not kend an air of upscale banking. I knew a guy who maintained Atms. He had to respond to "out of paper" alerts day and night. $$

at my branch the store manager or selected employee refills the ATM at the start of the day. My branch is the Regional HQ so maybe an outlying branch outsources it?

So I go to CVS and buy a pack of gum with my "Care Card." The register regurgitates 10 feet of (mostly worthless) coupons. I'm not exaggerating too much here - maybe just a little.

My guess: The paper in an ATM is virtually 'free' by comparison to what it costs Chase (or whomever) to INSURE that their machine NEVER runs out of paper. The bonded folks who service the machines probably cost $35 a call to stuff the machine with cash and change out the paper rolls (long before they need it - just in case.) YMMV

No you are not exaggerating much wrt the length of those coupon receipts. To add insult some counties around here impose .05 bag tax if you want a bag to cut down on paper and plastic waste. Picture me walking out with my arms loaded with “stuff”, no bag, and a 10 foot receipt ribbon trailing behind me!

I have a choice and opt that I don't want one. What would I do with it really?

Reminds me of the time I listened to a Radio Jock and he suggested looking for ATM receipts that showed large balances...I found one with about 200K listed on it and when I went out to the clubs and chatted up some girl I pulled out the receipt to write my phone number on it. I'm ashamed to say that it actually worked.

No doubt you can find this stuff for way less elsewhere, but.... at one of the local grocery stores they have a section devoted to paper 'gift bags'. The small ones are $4.95 (about the size of a lunch bag). And the big ones ( 2 feet by 2 feet) are something like $8.95 and $9.95). They're just glossy shiny paper with colorful designs, and 2 straps on top. Un believable.

So?
For me, ATM usage is free.
But, on the other hand, I only use an ATM about once every 3 years.

Funny. :) I ALWAYS have cash in my wallet. I feel naked without it. I visit the (free) ATM about twice a week and always take my receipt!

Mike

We use ours weekly. Our ATM offers email, print or both receipts. DW insists on a receipt, I think it’s a waste of paper. So I’d be privately pleased if our bank eliminated ATM paper receipts, makes sense to me for several reasons like environment, bank labor, etc.

I’m curious where all you infrequent ATM users get your pocket money?
The ATM. USAA's policy of refunding ATM fees got me thinking that, since it's a credit union, it's really my money they're refunding, so I decided to take out the maximum every time I use an ATM. Consequently, I don't need to go very often. I keep most of the cash in a secure place at home, and use it as needed.

1. Most banks are greedy money grubbers.

2. The case of 10 reams of printer paper I purchased for $9.99 on sale a few years ago is now $29.99 on sale so the price of paper has tripled (or the value of a paper has dropped by 2/3).

Who still takes ATM receipts? The Chase app keeps track of all transactions instantly. No need for paper. If you need a receipt for business purposes, you can always print it out.

Back
Top Bottom