Is there any sort of always on continuous step tracker for Fitbit?

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
When I put on music and use my hand weights while I do salsa or bachata steps I would like to keep track of my step count as I go along. i must pause moving too long if I am to click through on my device or my Iphone. Plus, all the checking uses battery and it has occasionally stopped counting because the battery went into red zone.

I only need this at home. And only really need steps.

My device is Fitbit one.

Ha

What do you mean "always on". Your fitbit is always on and tracking steps (though side-steps when dancing are often not counted FYI). You have to "stop and look" at any of the indicators (even the watches) to see how many steps you have. No "heads up display" or anything exists at this time to give you real time tracking. Continuous tracking on your phone is a battery intensive option that I never bother using. I like that the Charge HR etc only need two clicks at my wrist to get the steps to come up (I have it set for time as the default) but it can be set up so that tapping it shows step count.

Not a direct answer, but....I use a standalone pedometer which tracks steps and calories for walking and stairs. It will also "count" dance steps, but the mileage would be off, since stride length would vary. It eats one coin battery per year. https://www.amazon.com/Omron-HJ-321-Tri-Axis-Alvita-Pedometer/dp/B007ZWIJR2 .

Nothing against the fancier trackers, but I never got into them. I'm a lifelong pedometer user (literally....got my first one for Christmas at age 13). I would do the same weights and stretches in the gym regardless of any readout - I do them for strength and flexibility, not to burn calories.

Amethyst

Do you mean that the display of steps is always on so you can look quickly and see your step count?

If so, I do not think so. Seems the battery does not have the energy that I would think it should have.... even you mention that it takes a lot of battery to click through...

I did look at the community and this feature has been requested for long over a year.... they wanted to have continuous display of HR, which is what I would want... they say it is capable of doing it, they just have to change the software....

So far, it seems like they do not want to change...

Do you mean that the display of steps is always on so you can look quickly and see your step count?

If so, I do not think so. Seems the battery does not have the energy that I would think it should have.... even you mention that it takes a lot of battery to click through...

I did look at the community and this feature has been requested for long over a year.... they wanted to have continuous display of HR, which is what I would want... they say it is capable of doing it, they just have to change the software....

So far, it seems like they do not want to change...
This is waht I was asking about. I guess a continuous Blu-tooth signal would demand too much power.

Thanks for your answer.

When i realized that I cojld use this step based method even indoors in my small space, I forver gave up interest in bulky, single purpose tools. So I thouight, wow it woiujld be cool if I coud go by a display and know whete I I was WRT my step goal.

Ha

Last edited:
This is waht I was asking about. I guess a continuous Blu-tooth signal would demand too much power.

Thanks for your answer.

When i realized that I cojld use this step based method even indoors in my small space, I forver gave up interest in bulky, single purpose tools. So I thouight, wow it woiujld be cool if I coud go by a display and know whete I I was WRT my step goal.

Ha

I would just like it to display, without blu-tooth.... I do not think the small display on the device would be taking up that much energy... heck, watches go 5 years without a new battery....

When I put on music and use my hand weights while I do salsa or bachata steps I would like to keep track of my step count as I go along. i must pause moving too long if I am to click through on my device or my Iphone. Plus, all the checking uses battery and it has occasionally stopped counting because the battery went into red zone.

I only need this at home. And only really need steps.

My device is Fitbit one.

Ha

When I used Fitbit it counted my steps during my workout routines (low impact aerobics with hand weights), as well as any other activity involving steps.

I lost my original fitbit and went with a HR Charge to replace. Not much more. Don't really care about the HR as it's far from accurate (not terrible, but not medical), and was only $10 more than the non HR-Charge.

Benefits over the original are Time (so acts as a watch) and also a real time numeric count, not that little row of dots. Also includes Miles, Cals, and Floors up.

But I really like knowing whether if I'm at 9999 or at 8001!

What do you mean "always on". Your fitbit is always on and tracking steps (though side-steps when dancing are often not counted FYI). You have to "stop and look" at any of the indicators (even the watches) to see how many steps you have. No "heads up display" or anything exists at this time to give you real time tracking. Continuous tracking on your phone is a battery intensive option that I never bother using. I like that the Charge HR etc only need two clicks at my wrist to get the steps to come up (I have it set for time as the default) but it can be set up so that tapping it shows step count.

Not quite - you can always perch your iPhone or iPad or whatever is the Fitbit display and watch it while you work out. If I remember correctly the Fitbit app display was more or less realtime.

Back
Top Bottom