Is this "really" a 2% credit card ?

New card that claims 2% cash back (1% when you buy, 1% when you pay).

Of course, I never carry a balance and pay month charged.

There's "always a catch" with these cards - I can't find one here - anyone have any experience ?

First I thought it only paid the 2nd 1% if you paid over time - but looks like you can pay balance off every month and get second 1%.

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/creditcards.do?ID=DoubleCash

A brief look at the web site did not reveal what type of card it is (MC, VISA, something else etc)

-gauss

A brief look at the web site did not reveal what type of card it is (MC, VISA, something else etc)

-gauss

Just applied. I'm "near certain" it is Visa or MC, and not Amex.

Other card was considering was Fido card, as many others supported. Only reason I didn't go with them was Amex occasionally isn't accepted, but that is rare.

Oh, and that reminds me. Isn't it about time you stared wheeing?>:D

I have some DCA'ing to do...

Amethyst

I just felt like doing something wild and reckless that day, I guess, so I got a credit card.... :LOL:

My most recent card is the Amex Preferred Cash (there is an annual fee, but mine is waived as an active duty military guy). Even with the annual fee, the cash back is better than the Amex Cash card that has no annual fee. The Preferred has 6% back on groceries, 3% on fuel and 1% on all other purchases. From our grocery/fuel purchases for the previous 12 months, we will get back about $360 on groceries/fuel alone. I can't really say "no" to free money!

I do chase card offers and take advantage of the ones I can. The DW and I also got separate cards for Holiday Inn rewards that each get $50 statement credit after first charge as well as a free night after a year.

My 12 month overall cash-back rewards/bonus will probably be pretty close to $1,000 this year.

Oh, and that reminds me. Isn't it about time you stared wheeing?>:D

I have some DCA'ing to do...

Amethyst

:2funny: Well, pretty soon! So far, my portfolio balance is over 99.4% of my all time high but hasn't quite exceeded it, yet. So I am holding my breath like everyone else, to see what the market does today.

So how are people still liking this Double Cash card?

Have a major purchase and it could be nice to have. Get 1% generally on a BofA Visa with some special categories which earn more.

I've had this card since November 2014 and so far it works as advertised with no hidden issues.

Its my primary card, no issues on the 2% if you pay it off monthly.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I guess so! My original post about it is here .

I just felt like doing something wild and reckless that day, I guess, so I got a credit card.... :LOL:

Wow. I missed this also. W2R, you are one wild and crazy woman! LOL!

Well I was hoping Citi would switch me from a Platinum AAdvantage MC that I got a few months ago for the miles to the Double Cash but they can't switch between an AAdvantage and a regular Citi card.

So it would have to be a new credit card application and I froze my credit. So it would cost maybe $30 to unfreeze them. Hmm, I'd have to make $1500 in purchases to get back the $30 as 2% cash back ...

What do people think of the airline cards?. The main thing that appeals to me is the free checked luggage. If leave Hawaii I pretty much always go for at least a week, so I end checking luggage, and generally make 2 stops in the mainland so $75 per flight.

On the other hand they charge a hefty fee for most cards after the 1st year, and given my choice between earning a mile or get 1% cash back I'll generally want the cash..

The people who play the game will just get the card for like the 50k miles they offer and then cancel before the annual fee becomes due. First year AF is usually waived for these offers.

Most airline cards charge $95 a year. Some "executive" ones are like $450 but rarely worth it.

So if you're used to paying $75 per flight for checking luggage, I guess it could work out.

The more expensive cards will actually rebate $200 worth of airline fees so it brings down the annual fee from $450 to like $250. They throw in a couple of lounge passes too.

It is very tempted to do the keep for 1 year trick. I had a trip in Feb and one next week. I was going to sign up until I read the fine print and you have to actually purchase the tickets with the card to get the free luggage... So next time I'm thinking of the trip I'll have to get one.

I have had it a while, no glitches at all. I have used the 2% reward a few times and it is really easy, a couple clicks online and it is applied to your card balance, really easy.

Well I was hoping Citi would switch me from a Platinum AAdvantage MC that I got a few months ago for the miles to the Double Cash but they can't switch between an AAdvantage and a regular Citi card.

Yes this is a problem for me too. I am considering having them switch me from AAdvantage to whatever random card they can then switch to Double Cash.

In the meantime it is Barclay Arrival MC all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

My citi card is old and charges about $75/yr. within the year DH and I will be flying first class to Hawaii from PA and staying 2 weeks, not decided on which islands, probably Maui and Hawaii. We'll use our timeshare there. It's not a cheap vacation, it just is already paid for. We have the miles to book two tickets free. Yay!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

The people who play the game will just get the card for like the 50k miles they offer and then cancel before the annual fee becomes due. First year AF is usually waived for these offers.

American Airlines had a brief window in which they offered 75,000 miles for their Visa AND their Amex. Yeah, we got both. Both are gone now.
Back when I was traveling a lot for business, combining the miles/points from actual travel plus the credit card points got us some pretty good deals. Now that most points are a straight unction of what we spend, 2% cash back is a better deal.

I have had the Citi Doublecash card since December. It works as advertized...1% on charges and 1% on payments. We use it for everything we can!

It is very tempted to do the keep for 1 year trick. I had a trip in Feb and one next week. I was going to sign up until I read the fine print and you have to actually purchase the tickets with the card to get the free luggage... So next time I'm thinking of the trip I'll have to get one.

They say that, but in my experience their systems don't appear to be smart enough to distinguish between those that holds cards vs. those that actually used the cards for the flight. I've never paid for luggage, even when using another card. The clock may be ticking on this, but I'm happy for now.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great deal. One question. Do they automatically credit your rewards to you after you have a certain balance OR do you periodically go online to redeem your rewards?

Sounds like a great deal. One question. Do they automatically credit your rewards to you after you have a certain balance OR do you periodically go online to redeem your rewards?

If you are referring to the original post, no, what they do is offer you a choice, put towards your statement, mail you a check or deposit it into another account. This is from memory as I see the options but really just glance over them because I always just click the button that says apply to card. It is a very simple online process.

I don't have the Citi Doublcash card, but I sure like the way my Amazon Visa card handles rewards. On Amazon, at checkout, the rewards balance is right there and can be applied.

Just now I noticed that I had $19 of rewards and so I bought a free $18 video game that I had my eye on. I love it! Who would have thought I'd ever be posting about credit card rewards. :LOL:

If I didn't shop at Amazon so much, I could probably get them to send me a check but that wouldn't be nearly as much fun. My free video game is on its way! :D

I got rejected for the Double Cash. Put in 0 for salary and $90k for other income.

I didn't unfreeze my credit.

They will mail me a letter with reasons I didn't get approved.

Back
Top Bottom