Is this something worth doing...(question about stoves)

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My wife “there’s something wrong with the stove” I think- great what now. She demonstrates when you turn the smaller back burner on our 6.5 year old electric LG stove the large front burner comes on also. I’m thinking this is dangerous someone could get burnt.

We bought this stove because the last stove that came with the house decided to not shut off. That’s was not good either. I am thinking it isn’t worth getting repaired ... I really don’t want to mess with a high voltage appliance.

There are times when I don’t want to own anything.

Last edited:
Is this the glass-top? This may not be a bug, but a feature.

We have a GE glass stovetop and the right two burners work that way (the icons on the dial shows the burners colored in like 3/4 of an ellipse). If you turn the dial further it will light just the one on the top.

The reason for this functionality is for an oval shaped spaghetti/pasta pot - so it can heat the whole thing as it sits across two burners.

Then again, maybe you don't have the glass-top and the LG really does have a problem. In that case, I agree with you - don't repair, just don't use the top burner....or, better yet, just tell your wife "Honey, didn't you know...this is for a spaghetti/pasta pot"!

Buy her one like this, then you can make use of it:
https://www.amazon.com/Rachael-Ray-Porcelain-Nonstick-Covered/dp/B00JYHN00M

Last edited:
Yes glass top and I see the likely part looks to be $155 (no guarantees) so figure $170 all in with shipping.

Get the oval pot and play it off to DW as a feature - 100% guarantee it works. :cool:

A perfect time to trade up to a new induction unit!

A perfect time to trade up to a new induction unit!

+1 we love our coffee induction unit. Always wanted one, but they were always expensive. During the last remodel, we dumped the builder’s grade range in favor of an $800 Frigidaire induction-convection range. Although it seems cheaply built and and brand gets mediocre reliability in consumer reports, it works very well for us. The induction top heats the food and not the house, essential here is SE Arizona were the temp runs 107F.

If I had an electric stove that needed repairs or replacement, I would upgrade to an induction unit in a heartbeat. The only reason I haven’t replaced my gas cooktop with induction is that wok cooking works best with a flame.

If I had an electric stove that needed repairs or replacement, I would upgrade to an induction unit in a heartbeat. The only reason I haven’t replaced my gas cooktop with induction is that wok cooking works best with a flame.

I agree. My wok works pretty good with the induction unit though. Induction is definitely the easy to go. Less fire hazard than flame. If I want roasted peppers I do them on the grill. I used to do roast them directly on the gas burners.

My wife “there’s something wrong with the stove” I think- great what now. She demonstrates when you turn the smaller back burner on our 6.5 year old electric LG stove the large front burner comes on also. I’m thinking this is dangerous someone could get burnt.
LG original name was Lucky Goldstar. At only 6.5 years, your cooktop has run out of "luck".

Do not pass go, do not spend $170 on parts.
It should lose a turn, and be put in landfill Jail.

Is this the glass-top? This may not be a bug, but a feature.

We have a GE glass stovetop and the right two burners work that way (the icons on the dial shows the burners colored in like 3/4 of an ellipse). If you turn the dial further it will light just the one on the top.

.....https://www.amazon.com/Rachael-Ray-Porcelain-Nonstick-Covered/dp/B00JYHN00M

OP - go online, and get the manual for your stove if you don't have it anymore (who keeps those ?).

As already said this may be a feature, if so it will be in the manual.

Why replace something that is working perfectly (if it is a feature).

The idea that this might be a feature has stuck in my mind. If it is that, then turning the dial all the way will set one burner only.

Thanks for bringing this up again, Sunset.

Back
Top Bottom