Is this the earliest Christmas ever?

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I was in Costco Sept 29 and saw the first Christmas display, a Brewer’s Advent Calendar. I’ve seen Christmas displays in early October but September is a first for me.

Attachments

• IMG_3298.jpeg
    IMG_3298.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 53
Seems to be the new trend. Halloween displays started going up at the end of August.

A Brewers Advent calendar has nothing to do with Christmas or Advent.

Last edited:
Seems to be the new trend. Halloween displays started going up at the end of August.
Yeah, and I saw Halloween cookies in Target 2 weeks ago. There’s no way they won’t be stale long before Halloween.
A Brewers Advent calendar has nothing to do with Christmas or Advent.
Well, it has about as much to do with Christmas as most other retail displays and promotions.

We have had Christmas displays (trees, etc) in our Costco for the last two weeks, at least.

I've seen Christmas ads on TV already. I think it was for Menards.

Costco has had holiday stuff up for weeks - perhaps as soon as labor day? They usually trend earlier than other retailers though, and their holiday stuff disappears often a few weeks before the event.

You cannot roll up on 10/31 and expect halloween candy to still be there, unlike, say, Publix.

Lowes has had Xmas trees and stuff up . . . I think it was still Sept not certain.

I was kind of glad to see it as tired of the Halloween skeletons already. Ugly IMO, but I am not a decorator.

I am surprised the inflatable yard decorations keep getting more and more popular as I think they are not very attractive but to each their own.

Last edited:
Halloween candy started hitting the stores in July or maybe early August. Hallmark has always rolled out their Christmas ornaments around July because I often get one for my birthday in August (got a Haunted Mansion one this year). Christmas stuff was out at BJ’s yesterday.

We bought two of those 5lb bags of Halloween candy from Costco last week. Good stuff (Reeses, Twix, Snickers, M&Ms).

Chances of it sticking around to Halloween are nil.

Costco has had holiday stuff up for weeks - perhaps as soon as labor day? They usually trend earlier than other retailers though, and their holiday stuff disappears often a few weeks before the event.

You cannot roll up on 10/31 and expect halloween candy to still be there, unlike, say, Publix.

Yeah, I was seeing spooky Halloween stuff 1st of Sept!

I am surprised the inflatable yard decorations keep getting more and more popular as I think they are not very attractive but to each their own.
The inflatables are likely popular in very windy areas where setting up Styrofoam decorations and similar just get blown around. The inflatables can be anchored in the ground securely. If it gets too windy, they can be deflated to lie flat on the ground. I do agree most are not very attractive, but they are functional (and expensive!).

The Christmas season in the Philippines begins on September 1, with Filipinos decorating their homes and playing Christmas songs.

I saw big displays of Christmas ribbon at Costco this summer, figuring it was more for those creative, crafty folks who start making things early.
Went there two weeks ago and the Christmas displays were full on, Halloween was a small corner of that. We bought our big bag of candy, but got the non chocolate kind that we don't like.

Costco has always been ridiculously early with Christmas merchandise.

What I’m noticing is a deluge of snail-mail charitable solicitations from every nonprofit that’s ever gotten a dime from me.

I was in Costco Sept 29 and saw the first Christmas display, a Brewer’s Advent Calendar. I’ve seen Christmas displays in early October but September is a first for me.

Might be a regional thing. I used to work at a Hecht's (now Macy's) department store. We started putting up the Christmas tree displays in September. And that was in the early 1990s. It was LATE September as I recall, but still September.

The thing I really hated was how the "Back to School" advertising would start around July 5. :facepalm:

The thing I really hated was how the "Back to School" advertising would start around July 5. :facepalm:

That always bothers me too but I realize colleges often start up in August and southern schools do also.

This isn't a new trend. I've been seeing Christmas sections in stores pop up in some stores as early as September going back many years. Kmart comes to mind at least 10 years ago. There's no Kmart here anymore, and I haven't paid attention if it was every year or what other stores have done it.

That always bothers me too but I realize colleges often start up in August and southern schools do also.
Well, not just southern schools. Most of the schools here in Illinois start in August. Back when I was in school, the first day was always by the end of the month of August. And start dates have edged up over the years. So those back to school ads starting just a month earlier aren't an issue.

Interestingly, the first college I went to started in Sept.

Last edited:
I've been seeing Christmas sections in stores pop up in some stores as early as September going back many years.

I've not noticed that around here, but then again I rarely go into retail stores other than Lowe's or Home Depot or grocery stores.

Seeing Christmas decorations a few months early is one thing, but being subjected to Christmas music in, say, October is a bridge too far IMHO. Way too far. I do not want to hear any holiday music until Thanksgiving, or at the very earliest mid-November. I would walk out of any store that was playing holiday music in Sept or Oct.

Seeing Christmas decorations a few months early is one thing, but being subjected to Christmas music in, say, October is a bridge too far IMHO. Way too far. I do not want to hear any holiday music until Thanksgiving, or at the very earliest mid-November.
I agree with this. They make it so you're sick of hearing it by the time the holiday actually comes around. I think most places start the day after Halloween at this point.

Of course nothing is worse than Disney World where the Halloween party starts in early August and the Christmas party starts a day or two after Halloween. Nothing feels more like Halloween than a 98 degree, 90% humidity day in central Florida in August.

Hobby Lobby opened a new store in The Villages, Florida on August 28, they had an fully stocked area in the store with Christmas decorations, trees, etc. Of course they had a big sale on Christmas inventory.

Back
Top Bottom