Is TSA Pre-Check worth it?

At some airports, the pre-check lines are longer than the regular lines, but they do still move faster than the regular lines. This has happened to me frequently in the Washington DC area, and also less often at my home airport of San Diego. Military and civilian DoD employees can get pre-check just by using the number on the back of their CAC (federal ID card) as a known traveler number, so in cities with a lot of federal employees and military personnel, you will see longer pre-check lines. I've groaned when getting in the longer lines, but have still beat colleagues who got in the shorter lines without pre-check.

If you do get pre-check, you should still pack your liquids in a baggie that you can easily remove from your carry-on. Sometimes pre-check lanes are closed and there are also airports and terminals that don't have a separate pre-check line for some of their gates. E.g. in San Diego, for a flight that leaves out of gates 1 or 2, there's only one security line. If you have pre-check you get a pink card that means you don't have to take off shoes or jacket, but you still have to remove the liquids and laptop from your carry-ons because they're all going through the same x-ray as the non-precheck luggage.

As someone else pointed out, a good way to get pre-check is to see if any of your credit cards offer it or global entry as a benefit.

I fly regularly for business (3 more months) and get Pre check all the time. It's great. It would be worth it to pay for from the time saved in line.

Some of the smaller airports we have used either funnel the Pre-TSA people into the regular line (on a fairly regular basis), or, (at one airport,) have moved the Pre-TSA over to the adjoining terminal during slower times-both terminals in one line (causing an extra 100 yard walk to the correct terminal after screening).

It is usually quicker to wait in the regular line, in the correct terminal.

Thanks everyone for all the information! Did someone say something about a glut of passengers last spring? Maybe I just landed in the middle of that during my June 2016 trip. Even though it was mid-week, the airports were jammed.

Most people aren't going to go to the TSA pre line. It takes some effort to be pre approved, and now that the program is up and running, airlines are no longer supposed to be awarding that status to their frequent fliers. If you are old enough, however, you may get it automatically.

Another satisfied customer here for TSA pre-check. We got Global Entry 2 or 3 years back and we enjoy the pre-check experience.

WE have been getting it for free most of the time. Maybe at age 62 they are not worried:))

If you travel at least once a year, for sure worth it. I was able to make an appointment at the nearest airport and was in and out very quickly. Just then make sure you register your TSA number with your airlines and have it in place before you get your boarding pass - if for any reason it doesn't get printed on the pass you do not get to go TSA.

On average you will save an hour per trip (30 mins each end). I have had it about 2.5 years now and I will renew. Whenever we travel I book the tickets so my DH is on the same record locator, and he always then gets Pre as well (so only one fee paid). High end CC's will also credit you the fee (Platinum, high fee cards). Those cards are pricey, but if you use all the benefits they can work out well - and this is one of them.

I think perhaps the agents are nicer because they aren't having to explain 30 times a minute to take off your shoes, throw out that water bottle - they are dealing with people who mostly have been to the rodeo before, and also people who aren't aggravated from standing in line for an hour and frantic that they are missing their flights. So, it might sound snobbish, but a hidden benefit is the TSA line is really the "less riff-raff" line. Business travelers, frequent travelers, less twits.

I also like not having to take out my toiletries (the 3-1-1 baggie), especially since I try to only ever go with carry on, so all my stuff is very strategically packed.

Yes on occasion the TSA will have a line, and can be not that much better wait time than the regular line, but that's pretty rare.

Not sure we travel enough to justify it. I have considered it for DH. Taking shoes off is an issue for him. His shoes have to be tied and untied and he is not flexible. Shoes are not an issue for me...I wear shoes I can slip on and off and with my yoga practice I am very flexible...can easily stand on one foot. Last time we travelled I was given a card that allowed me to keep my shoes on at one of the checkpoints. Unfortunately I couldn't give the card to DH instead.

Most people aren't going to go to the TSA pre line. It takes some effort to be pre approved, and now that the program is up and running, airlines are no longer supposed to be awarding that status to their frequent fliers. If you are old enough, however, you may get it automatically.

I never applied, and have had it since it started. Maybe it's because of the million + miles of flight distance I have done on a few airlines, or maybe because they consider me "old"?:D

I'm 49 and have been given TSA pre-check whenever I've flown (a few times a year) for the last 3 years. Idk exactly why but I think I know what started it.

My son, DIL and I went to DC and they had my birthdate wrong on the WH tour list. They made me wait in a bullpen and for some reason it took them about an hour to verify who I was (never been arrested, not even had a ticket). I've been TSA pre-check ever since that vacation.

A little late to the thread, but wanted to add my two cents. While the system is not perfect, I am glad I got the TSA Pre-check. I find this system to be less aggravating than the regular lines and does simplify things most of the time. People in the regular lines can be pokey, unsure of what to do, and things tend not to move along at times. I skimmed through the PreCheck lines at Dulles once when I was given that status at random. The regular line went on forever. That situation made my decision for me. Been FIREd three years now and I try to reduce aggravation whenever possible. I have been ramping up the travel plans and will gladly pay the money and drive the 45 minutes to the site when it comes time to renew. I plan to get the Global Entry as well. I see it as money well spent!

We both have Global Entry and love it. Great for domestic flights (pre-check) and very fast re-entry into the US. It's $100 for 5 years - only $15 more than pre-check alone. You by pass the passport lines and you also get a short line for customs. One problem is that most foreign airlines (such as BA, Lufthansa, etc.) - flying direct from US airports out of country - do not participate in pre-check, so you have to wait on the regular TSA line. Domestic airlines flying out of country - United, Delta, etc., do.

The process for Global Entry is a bit more involved and invasive and we saw some folks get tossed out of the interview after giving the interviewer static - like why do you need to know that? :facepalm: :nonono: Never, ever, give these folks a hard time - they have no patience with trouble makers.

The last few flights I have taken I have gotten precheck without paying anything...

A couple my DW did not get it so I went with her.... our last flight we both got it and it was OK on our flight there... but on our return flight they literally closed it down when we walked up to it... there were people in line and they said 'we are closed'... however, we did not have to take off our shoes or anything else...

I would only do it if I were taking a good number of flights... we rarely fly right now so I do not... when we do start to fly more, I will probably go for it...

We got TSA Pre-Check in 2014 and most times, it takes less than 2 minutes to get through security. Our longest line time was about 15 minutes, but that was when the regular lines looked to be 45-60+ minutes long. When we renew, we might get Global Entry, but it would require that we travel to a hub city to do so.

In our experience, they are more courteous and try to move the line along quickly. Most delays are caused by people who received a free pre-check and don't know what to do. For instance, I carry just my wallet and phone in my pockets and wear running shoes. They go immediately into my backpack while waiting in the line past the ID check. I see people all the time, emptying their pockets at the x-ray machine (even though they're being told to empty pocket in line), and then removing their shoes at the metal detector. These delays take maybe 1-2 minutes, so most others don't get upset by them.

Oh, and don't forget to add your KTN to your airline profiles and call/update online for any ticketed travel.

Last edited:
We've been designated TSA pre-check our last three flights for some unknown reason, even though we're not officially enrolled. Can't figure out why so much good fortune unless, possibly, because we've had so many passport re-entries into the USA this year due to a large volume of international travel they figure they have more than enough info about us?

Or maybe just a teaser to get us hooked going forward? ;)

Last edited:
The big deal for us with TSA pre-check lines is: don't have to take computers out - we often have two. Not having to take watches and belts off. Not having to take shoes off is a biggie too. Leaving quart bag of liquids in hand luggage. It's just so much less disruptive.

It's also the less invasive scanner if anyone cares about that.

Funny, we've not benefitted from the less invasive scanner and had to use the "puff" one.

One additional benefit for us. Returning from a trip to Germany this past summer, the backup at US Customs was immense. After getting the luggage there were only two lines, each easily had >100 people already waiting. I figured it would be at least another hour, but looked around and saw a sign over in one corner that said TSA. We walked over and, true enough, it was a Customs exit for TSA holders. The agent didn't even check,just asked and let us through.

DH and I enrolled in TSAPre this autumn, after a trip to Chicago where we were randomly (?) assigned Pre for free on both ends of the trip. The lines were shorter, and the convenience of remaining dressed was worth it for me.

The last few trips we made, the regular line had to go through the body scanner while in the pre-check line we only had to use the metal detector. Nice advantage there, as audreyh1 mentioned.

Also, the last time we came home through JFK we breezed through as usual by using the Global Entry kiosk instead of the long, long line for regular customs. Then when we picked up our bags we were waiting on a big security screening queue and a man in an ordinary business suit with a little security badge clipped to his pocket came up and asked if anyone was pre-check.

We said yes, along with just a few others, and he asked to see it on our boarding passes. Then he directed us to an unmarked door and gave us verbal instructions "through there, turn right, down the hall, make the first right, up a long escalator, then left at the top" that got us to our connecting fight probably half an hour before everyone else in that queue.

We found it helpful because my wife had a knee replacement and it reduced standing time. However, not all airlines (British Airways) are enrolled so you still have to go through the regular lines even if you have PreCheck.

Never enrolled or paid for it but in 2014 did 3 round trips across the pond and to Africa; ever since then it's been precheck boarding passes. Still have to empty pockets most places, just unload everything into backpack as approach. I see precheck as a nicety but not sure I'd pay for it. My xanax regimen for long flights starts before security so I just sorta roll with it.:angel:

I initially had PreCheck due to my elite status with Delta. In 3 years I only didn't get it twice. Then, when they discontinued the complimentary PreCheck for elites, I missed it on 4 of my next 6 flights so I went ahead and paid the $85. I generally fly between 90 and 110 segments/year and most of those are nonstop, direct flights so it's well worth it to me.

I fly very little so wouldn't pay for it. I tend to get it anyway on the few flights I do take, probably because I don't fit any terrorist profiles and traveled a lot on business and for pleasure for many years. Typically I fly Business Class on long hauls, which also has a short TSA line with mostly experienced flyers in it.

From what I've read, the freebie status was started because there weren't enough people who paid for Pre-Check to justify the separate lines. I have to admit I was one of the newbies who padded up shoeless and with my Freedom Baggie and computer out for inspection the first time, but I caught on fast.

Back
Top Bottom