Code share flights -where do you check in?

jesaco

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello everyone. anyone have exprience on a code share flight?. I booked at delta for me and my wife to Italy (Delta one). after selecting seats and payment, we received email confirmation from Delta. It was booked with delta, the plane is Air France.
However. I have my seat assignemnt in the confirmation but my wife does not. it says "select seats" on my wife's and when we tried to select seats again, the delta site would not allow it. Delta customer service has no answer why my wife has no seat assignment. Someone mentioned to call air france (since its their plane flying, strange why Delta and AF have different booking numbers also) and AF gave us assigned seats But Delta website still says my wife still has no seat assugned. also,when I called Delta to ask where to check in, they said I have to go Delta counter to check in at the airport. Our flight is in JFK in New york and Delta counter is in Terminal 4 while Air France is terminal 1. There is no way you can walk from term 1 to 4 at JFK airport.
My question is where do I check in? Delta or AF? calling Delta is useless with confusing answers. any advise for those who flew on a codeshare flights on this. Thanks

JFK Terminal 4 is international. You're going to check-in at the international terminal with Air France.

I too would be confused. njhowie, If Terminal 4 is the international terminal, why does the JKF Airport map show Air France check-in at Terminal 1? Even the AirFrance lounge is at Terminal 1. jesaco, I'm quite sure you actually check in at the desk for the company that actually provides the flight. So once you determine where Air France does check-in that should be the location to go to.

Look online for the same flight that is departing today - it will tell you what terminal it will will be flying from. You can also use Delta app to check-in 24 hrs before the flight - it will tell you on the boarding passes what terminal and most likely gate before you are going to airport.

I too would be confused. njhowie, If Terminal 4 is the international terminal, why does the JKF Airport map show Air France check-in at Terminal 1? Even the AirFrance lounge is at Terminal 1. jesaco, I'm quite sure you actually check in at the desk for the company that actually provides the flight. So once you determine where Air France does check-in that should be the location to go to.

I stand corrected...I see Air France is also located in Terminal 1 at JFK.

In my flying experience, you check in with the airline that is operating the flight. In this case, Air France.

In my flying experience, you check in with the airline that is operating the flight. In this case, Air France.

Correct. Tomorrow we have tickets to fly from DCA on British Airways tickets. British Airways doesn't even fly to/from DCA. So there is no other possibility, but to check in with the airline actually operating the flight.

When I purchased a Delta flight that had the second leg operated by KLM, there was a link to KLM's page where I could choose seats and there was a different 6-character record locator for that portion of the trip. You might check the online reservation in your and your wife's Delta accounts and see if you can find anything similar that points to Air France.

I agree that you check in at Air France.

In our experience the computer relationship between the lead carrier and the code share can be a little clumsy, but it is best to focus on the code share airline, as people have said. IIRC DW had a seating issue last month on the AF code share flight following our DL flight from the US to CDG. I think she just called AF to straighten it out.

Most airport "Departures" boards that I recall seeing have a sort of scrolling flight number section, showing the code share's flight number, then, briefly, the flight numbers that other airlines use for that flight. So "AF1234" flashes, then "DL5678" and so on. Maybe a couple more. That is a good way to verify that you're looking at the right flight.

Last edited:
Agree with the others, check-in on the day of travel will be with the carrier you're actually flying on. Checking-in online 24 hours prior will be with Delta but to be honest you can probably also do it with Air France also. You'll notice Delta and Air France have different flights numbers for the same flight but in reality they'll two of the same which you'll see on the departure board at the airport.

Also, many times when you book with a code share carrier they won't allow you to pick your seats until 24 hours prior. I had this issue last year with Swiss Air which was purchased through United.

I also just purchased tickets to Italy. Flight is with KLM but was actually purchased through Delta.

Thank you for all the answers. They have been very helpful. I think I should go to terminal 1 since Air France fly on that terminal. I can check in 24 hours before the flight on line but I am concerned if I check in with Delta (where I booked the ticket) their App shows my wife has no seat assigned. (although Air France app shows seat numbers for both of us). calls with Delta were useless as they are clueless as to why my wife has no seat assignment in their App. My flight takes is in a week and crossing my fingers. I'll try on-line check-in with Air France and not with delta.

Back
Top Bottom