Isle of Wight

cj1717

Recycles dryer sheets
We are thinking of traveling to the Isle of Wight off the South coast of England.

Has anyone been or know if its a good destination?

We would fly into Heathrow and take a train to Portsmouth, ferry to the Isle of Wight and unsure how to get around the island.

Any thoughts on where to stay?

Tks in advance!

My nan took me to the Isle of Wight in 1971. It was quite lovely and there were peacocks. That's all I can remember about it. Sorry.

There is a train that runs down the island. The station is walking distance from the pier. Also, at Smallbrook Junction, you can catch the Isle Of Wight steam train.
Here is the Wkipedia link about the line.:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_Line,_Isle_of_Wight
If you are adventurous, look up Haven Falconry and fly some birds. Unfortunately, the owner passed away, but his wife runs it now.
I have attached an excerpt from a trip story.

Attachments

• Isle of Wight.pdf
    248.9 KB · Views: 18
IIRC, it was one of Queen Victoria's favorite places, and where she died.

Also the world's first radio station was established there by Marconi.

Are accommodations expensive? This is the source of my concern

Every summer we can rent a cottage
In the Isle of Wight, if it's not too dear

We did a day trip there when we were staying in Plymouth... enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it.

We regularly go to off the beaten path places and get a rental car.

Also the world's first radio station was established there by Marconi.

Thanks for the Marconi reference. Hotel Portofino made a funny passing reference. Pretty amazing guy.

Yes, I believe that is the case. Also, more recently, it was the “ Queen mother’s” (I.e. Queen Elisabeth’s mother) favorite place too. Or at least that is what locals told me when I lived in Bournemouth back in the early eighties. Some of her old digs may be open to the public now?

We are thinking of traveling to the Isle of Wight off the South coast of England.

Has anyone been or know if its a good destination?

We would fly into Heathrow and take a train to Portsmouth, ferry to the Isle of Wight and unsure how to get around the island.

Any thoughts on where to stay?

Tks in advance!

We live in Cowes on the IOW, the island is a bit like the mainland UK circa mid 1990’s when it seemed like people used to be more happy [emoji4]

There is an extremely reliable bus service all over the island from Ryde bus station if you choose to catch the hovercraft over from Portsmouth.

We recently did an out of season staycation through Away Resorts in one of their Rockstar lodges with hot tub. Nice walk down to Whitecliff Bay even in November it was beautiful. It’s also close to Woodford’s butchers in Bembridge too for a traditional pork pie and sausage roll. Very addictive! Just past the windmill which is also worth a look around.

Of course Freshwater Bay is always a favorite with it’s turquoise waters or an open top bus tour to the Needles where they tested missiles during the war. Hop on the high speed rib to get the best view of them from Alum Bay.

Loads to do here and each beach looks different to the previous one so I think you’ll love it! I guess I’m biased though.

Back
Top Bottom