Isn't the Grass always Greener?

Canadian Girl

Dryer sheet aficionado
Isn't it true that when you're working, you envy those that are ERed. And people who have ERed AWHILE envy those that work (particularly those that are ENJOYING their work)? It seems that the Grass is ALWAYS Greener on the 'other side' regardless of your situation. Is this true for anyone?

You're joking, right? :LOL:

Hmmm - been ER'd for over 6 years and no, I never envy anyone that enjoys their work.

You see, I can do pretty much whatever I want. I don't have to worry about whether someone else is willing to pay me for it.

There are some serious drawbacks to work for hire even under the best of circumstances. Some folks make out well and get to cherry pick their work because they are in high demand or held in super high regard by their customers or employers. But they STILL have to deal with customers and/or employers!!! That's a pretty large hassle factor. And their time is still not truly their own.

Audrey

Canadian Girl said:
Isn't it true that when you're working, you envy those that are ERed. And people who have ERed AWHILE envy those that work (particularly those that are ENJOYING their work)?  It seems that the Grass is ALWAYS Greener on the 'other side' regardless of your situation.  Is this true for anyone?

I fear you have just smacked the wasp nest.   :eek:  

My those in ER have mercy on you.   :D

Canadian Girl said:
...And people who have ERed AWHILE envy those that work (particularly those that are ENJOYING their work)?

No way do I envy anyone who is still working, regardless of how much they enjoy what they are doing. That doesn't mean I don't respect them, or even admire them if their work improves the lot of mankind. But envy them? No way.

Canadian Girl said:
Isn't it true that when you're working, you envy those that are ERed. And people who have ERed AWHILE envy those that work (particularly those that are ENJOYING their work)? It seems that the Grass is ALWAYS Greener on the 'other side' regardless of your situation. Is this true for anyone?

I think it would be realy nice to be ER'd but I haven't gone for it yet. So I wouldn't say that I envy those who ER'd. I know some people who really really enjoy working. Often I admire their dedication, self discipline or whatever, but I wouldn't say I envy them.

For example, I know a lawyer who is rich, has no debt, is good looking, healthy, has a nice home and cabin, and has a good marriage. He makes a lot of money because he has amazing self discipline and thus incredibly efficient. He also enjoys his job. His parents are still living and only recently did his very aged grandparents die so he will probably live a long life. Do I envy him? Not really, I wouldn't trade my life for his (though his life is a curiosity to me). I like my life warts and all. And my life is not as comfortable as his.

I guess what I am trying to say, (pretty much unsuccessfully), is that satisfaction comes from inside and making comparisons between your life and anyone else's is not very helpful.

anyone who thinks the grass is greener on the other side has never laid sod.

Martha said:
satisfaction comes from inside and making comparisons between your life and anyone else's is not very helpful.

i agree with that 1000%. that goes for both happiness and for boredom.

if you can't find it within, you go without because nothing outside will make more than a temporary difference. think lion, scarecrow & tin woodsman. then click your heals three times. there's no place like home.

Martha said:
I guess what I am trying to say, (pretty much unsuccessfully), is that satisfaction comes from inside and making comparisons between your life and anyone else's is not very helpful. 

Martha - this is my problem...I have not inside...no spirit as they say.  I guess people always made comparisons to others growing up.  Need to work on getting spirituality.

Canadian Girl said:
Martha - this is my problem...I have not inside...no spirit as they say.  I guess people always made comparisons to others growing up.  Need to work on getting spirituality.

I don't think there is any mystery to it. You start by making a conscience effort to appreciate all of the good things in life and take a moment to revel in them as often as possible.

Canadian Girl said:
 Need to work on getting spirituality.

CG, could be something to pursue. I know the time I have spent in religious/psychological/meditative activities has been a great use of my time. If you push in these areas you will probably get results and they will be true for you, so comparisons to others will be of only intellectual interest.

I agree with Yakers and that Lazygood4nothinbum

lazygood4nothinbum said:
nothing is more adventurous, nothing more thrilling, nothing is more demanding, nothing more satisfying than self-discovery, introspection, the journey within. everything else is distraction.

As a soulless atheist who doesn't even know the meaning of "spiritual," I have to disagree.

First, you can find happiness in materialism.    Especially if you explore it in depth.   I know serial entreprenuers who have pulled off multiple IPOs, and they are as happy and satisfied as any beach bum could be.

Second, the universe, the world, society, and even your neighborhood are wonderfully complex systems that could be studied for a lifetime.

Forget "spiritual."    The key is immersion and depth of understanding.   And play.  IMHO.  :)

Martha said:
satisfaction comes from inside and making comparisons between your life and anyone else's is not very helpful. 

That's so darn true it's worth saying again!  So......"what she said."

wab said:
As a soulless atheist who doesn't even know the meaning of "spiritual," I have to disagree....First, you can find happiness in materialism....    Especially if you explore it in depth...even your neighborhood are wonderfully complex systems that could be studied for a lifetime...Forget "spiritual."    The key is immersion and depth of understanding.   And play.  IMHO.  :)

spirituality can be such a dirty word and in today's extremist society, a dangerous one. i prefer the word introspection which seems to carry less weight yet hold maybe even more water, but probably i mean the same thing and i'm not against using dirty words. though i hardly think that even buddha, who looked inside and saw no soul, no atma, would be considered nonspiritual. perhaps he was just a soulless spiritualist (or just really good at delving inside).

while you can have happiness in materialism, i.e., one does not require poverty to be happy, happiness, itself, is not found there; but a child's distraction from misery is. a silly smile on a face wiped clean when someone breaks the jester's toy. true happiness shines even when the toys break. but a distraction is just that; it is neither antidote, remedy nor cure.

happiness shines even through the most miserable of times. and so we see both happiness and sadness in both poverty and riches. neither poverty nor riches cause happiness. and without happiness, one is miserable with either.

true that exploration of our outer world can lead to inner understanding though it is sort of like going over the north pole to reach antarctica. i suppose there's nothing wrong with reinventing the wheel as long as you're er'd and have the time. mystics for millennia and hippies since at least the 1960s have been discussing good vibrations way before string theory came along. yes, somethings take outside observation. certainly it solves the what-should-my-hobby-be dilemma.

i certainly agree with your notion of play. just like when puppies chase each other in play what they are really doing is exploring their territory. and if exploring our world makes us happy, then it only goes to follow that when we play with ourselves, we find happiness. q.e.d.

Canadian Girl said:
Geez, CG, you remind me of an ancient poster named Ted. It always bugged the heck out of him that us ERs were wasting our lives away not supporting his economy.

I can share the pleasure of a friend who'd rather teach high school math & science for the rest of his life than ER. He's having a good time pursuing his avocation.

At the same time I don't envy him. I like having my days largely undefined and my time free to pursue my interest of the moment. IMO having to make a regular commitment to a job is even worse than working.

Back
Top Bottom