Jeep Patriot -- any experience?

MovingtotheCove

Recycles dryer sheets
We are looking at a used Jeep Patriot 4 x 4 as a back up vehicle for a bit more hauling space and 4 x 4 in case of snow, etc. We know its 4 cylinder engine is a bit low on HP but that is ok for the type of driving we need it for. Just wondering if anyone has any input or comments about Jeep Patriot model...it does have an automatic transmission. Thanks.

A friend just bought a jeep compass and really loves the good gas mileage and the much improved comfort. not the old army jeep. says it gets 32 mpg. I am thinking about looking at one myself.

A friend just bought a jeep compass and really loves the good gas mileage and the much improved comfort. not the old army jeep. says it gets 32 mpg. I am thinking about looking at one myself.
No Jeep averages that kind of mileage according to the our gov FWIW...
Gas Mileage of 2012 Vehicles by Jeep

fueleconomy.gov also says my 2002 buick century gets 26 mpg, but I know for a fact it will get 29 highway. you have to talk to people who own one or get a review on the internet to have a good idea. Also I am just repeating what my friend told me and I think he is pretty dependable. On the other hand the site says the jeep compass gets over 25 mpg which for a four wheel drive is good by itself.

fueleconomy.gov also says my 2002 buick century gets 26 mpg, but I know for a fact it will get 29 highway. you have to talk to people who own one or get a review on the internet to have a good idea. Also I am just repeating what my friend told me and I think he is pretty dependable. On the other hand the site says the jeep compass gets over 25 mpg which for a four wheel drive is good by itself.
I agree 25 mpg for 4WD is good, but it's not 32. I don't know anyone who owns a Compass, but I know several Liberty owners and the mpg they got was very low, low 20's on average. And it's not unusual for owners to report best exceptions or high estimates instead of actual (not human nature to under report mpg). And we've also had cars that got higher mpg than sticker, and others that were lower. There are several "real world mpg" sites, here's just one http://www.truedelta.com/fuel_economy.php?brand=17&model=711&terrain=&drive_style=&mix_ht=&mix_sub=&mix_city=&mix_hwy=.

Best of luck, only trying to provide some info...

Last edited:
You don't buy a Jeep for gas mileage........:) Jeep is an iconic brand, Jeep lovers are fanatics. However, there are a fair number of more reliable brands to consider who have 4WD........

Since you only need reverse, you may be able to find a good deal.

But seriously, what is a "back up car?"

It is correct...not primary vehicle...did find one and got a great deal on a 2008 Patriot 4 X 4. Love it. Great mileage and ride and still has 4 X 4 for snow, etc. Reasonable insurance costs and good hauling capacity. See if it will give us what we want for the next 4 or 5 years....has 60K miles now...yes, Jeep is a unique American brand.

Back
Top Bottom