John Mauldin's weekly e-letter

It's good to be Mauldin...

Thanks, Wzd, I haven't read Mauldin for about a year and that dose should hold me for another year or two.

It amazes me how much he gets away with writing abotu what everyone else says-- even to the point of excerpting several paragraphs-- and then has the nerve to call it his own newsletter. But I guess it's worth what we're paying for it.

Oh, that desert island of his Boomer families? It ignores the immigration factor. As soon as we need more workers, we'll import them-- legally or illegally.

Some Boomers will keep working because (a) they can't afford to retire since they haven't saved enough to support their lifestyles, or (b) they want to keep working. I don't think anyone will worry about the nation's associated demographics when they approach their personal retirement decision.

I'm partway into "The New Retirementality". Book report to follow.

Yes, he does seem to quote/excerpt a lot. And sometimes I swear I read what he wrote somewhere else....But since I don't read a lot of financial stuff, and since his newsletter is light reading..... It usually give me a topic to think more about, and I usually find something new to followup on, but I have to agree that I wouldn't pay to read it.

In this case, as others have pointed out earlier, we are not the country in the worst shape by a long shot. For us,I think that the demographics will sort itself out because as you say, workers will keep working because they didn't save enough. The definition of "enough" will increase to make this so.

Immigration - that is a real can of worms. We import lots of workers to do jobs we don't want to do, and often this involves illegal immigrents. At the same time we have made it more difficult for foreign students to come here and both learn and contribute to our universities and companies. Does anyone else see a problems with an immigration policy that allows menial laborers, but blocks inflow of intellectual capital? Maybe it will help the desert island scenerio; maybe it will make it worse in the long term.

Reading/thinking about politics depresses me. I think I will go play volleyball for a couple of hours at our local indoor sand volleyball facility (really - they have those here!).

Wayne

Mauldin's newsletter was too depressing and I usually look forward to his junk mail.

Re immigration. Right on. We used to have an immigration policy that emphasized immigration for the enhancement of the American future now it is for short term gain. No lasting advantage there.

I'm not sure we have an "immigration policy". At least not one which has a "snowbell's chance in hell" of working on any basis. Bush should be ashamed.
Doubt if he is though.

JG

I usually read John Mauldin weekly and have read his book "Bulls Eye Investing". Personally I find him interesting. He is slightly bearish of center. His "muddle" through economy for the foreseeable future makes sense to me. That means that we will have short term bull and bear markets that will not beak all time highs. In this type of market index investing will not be successful. I could change my mind if the Dow forges ahead of its all time high. My investment strategy now is basically covered calls. I make a relatively safe 8-10 percent that way.

As for his opinion on Social Security, I agree with him. I think illegals put stress on the social security system that equals out any long term gains. Mauldin also believes that buying power by future retirees will be eroded by increased wage demand of the younger people working. Thus inflation will follow.

Back
Top Bottom