Johnny Depp - Amber Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jury awarded Depp $10 million in compensatory damages and $5 million in punitive damages and awarded Heard $2 million in compensatory damages and $0 in punitive damages. So net, net $13 million to Depp, subject to appeal.

Not sure if I care much either way, but I still think Depp is a very wierd dude and did some awful things.

Both people involved live a very different lifestyle than I would ever would. But I do appreciate the challenge when wanting to provide evidence that things said (or alluded to) about someone may be untrue.

In my humble opinion......people lie. I have been involved in a very unfortunate situation when someone lied about a "significant other" of mine for their own purposes. These lies were fairly "easy" (if you define easy as years and thousands of dollars) to prove as totally untrue, but the accusation alone cost him a job he loved and a local reputation that could only be repaired by moving 1,200 miles away.

I do not care who won this trial. I only want the verdict to represent truth. And I wish that people would not assume that the spoken word (by anyone) is always truth.

Last edited:
I do not care who won this trial. I only want the verdict to represent truth. And I wish that people would not assume that the spoken word (by anyone) is always truth.

But, but, but, but...... maybe it's their truth :confused: Ok. Sure. You Betcha!. :rolleyes:

Jury awarded Depp $10 million in compensatory damages and $5 million in punitive damages and awarded Heard $2 million in compensatory damages and $0 in punitive damages. So net, net $13 million to Depp, subject to appeal.

Not sure if I care much either way, but I still think Depp is a very wierd dude and did some awful things.
Johnny did awful things,?a comment made by someone who wasn't paying attention

Wish I would have done the same as you.

IMO, overall verdicts were a disgrace.

Oh well ... :blush:.

How so...did you see any trial coverage. The jury listened for weeks and deliberated for several days. Pretty sure they know more then a casual observer.

Last edited:
How so...did you see any trial coverage. The jury listened for weeks and deliberated for several days. Pretty sure they know more then a casual observer.

My opinion ...

To win a defamation case is a really high bar. Especially with celebrities. In this situation there were 6 statements and 4 of them were ruled by the jury as defamatory.

The jury had problem following instructions. When the verdict was supposed to be read, the judge sent them back in as they didn't put any compensation and damage amounts.

Then in only about 18 minutes later, the jury had already decided the amounts. Favor for Depp ... $10 million here for compensation, $5 million there for punitive (was too much as above the amount allowed) then $2 million to Heard.

I saw on TV that Heard's team may file an appeal based on inconsistent verdict. Since the jury felt Depp was defamed by all 3 statements by Heard (implying that she probably lied and the op-ed was a hoax), the went ahead and turned around and said she was still defamed on one statement. But how can she be defamed if she had made a hoax all along?

I do admit that Depp's team had much better lawyers. They rope a doped Heard's team into making it all about who is more likeable.

But in my opinion, that op-ed was much less defamatory than the statements by Depp's lawyer with his statements.

My opinion ...

To win a defamation case is a really high bar. Especially with celebrities. In this situation there were 6 statements and 4 of them were ruled by the jury as defamatory.

The jury had problem following instructions. When the verdict was supposed to be read, the judge sent them back in as they didn't put any compensation and damage amounts.

Then in only about 18 minutes later, the jury had already decided the amounts. Favor for Depp ... $10 million here for compensation, $5 million there for punitive (was too much as above the amount allowed) then $2 million to Heard.

I saw on TV that Heard's team may file an appeal based on inconsistent verdict. Since the jury felt Depp was defamed by all 3 statements by Heard (implying that she probably lied and the op-ed was a hoax), the went ahead and turned around and said she was still defamed on one statement. But how can she be defamed if she had made a hoax all along?

I do admit that Depp's team had much better lawyers. They rope a doped Heard's team into making it all about who is more likeable.

But in my opinion, that op-ed was much less defamatory than the statements by Depp's lawyer with his statements.

Really, so if someone falsely accuses you of sexual assault that's not ok for your lawyer to say it's made up and a hoax. Jeepers....On the count where they found for Heard there was some confusion over who actually called the police and how many times they were called and how many people were involved. Did you actually watch any of the proceedings? Watch Heards two days of direct and cross exam and then tell me what you think.

Thanks for an interesting conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom