Joni Mitchell is in a coma

Interesting. I would have thought Big Yellow Taxi would have been her most popular. But that's a good one too. My favorite is Coyote.
Six of one... :peace: I was thinking about radio popularity, but don't recall any of her music being popular on the radio. I wish her the best.

Six of one... :peace: I was thinking about radio popularity, but don't recall any of her music being popular on the radio. I wish her the best.

Nope, you're right. "Help Me" made it to no. 7 on the charts, "BYT" only made it to no. 67 (the later Live version made it to no. 24). Good ol' Google.

I was lucky to see Joni live in Bethel NY, at a concert entitled "A Day In The Garden". My former BIL was a huge Joni fan, and convinced me to drive 4 hours for a long day trip to see her. I always liked her Court and Spark album. I believe the year was 1998.

It was standing room only. I got the brilliant idea to tell people in front of me that my boyfriend was up front, and managed to get a bit closer to the stage. :LOL:
I got close enough to see her teeth when she sang. I hung out for 2 songs and then returned to where my BIL was standing, further back. He couldn't believe I had the nerve to do that.

We crashed in the car for a few hours before driving back home the same day.

It was all well worth it !

It was standing room only. I got the brilliant idea to tell people in front of me that my boyfriend was up front, and managed to get a bit closer to the stage. :LOL:
I got close enough to see her teeth when she sang.

I love Joni and think she's beautiful, but you probably didn't have to get all that close to see her teeth.

Ok , now you made me do it...I just listened to the album "Court and Spark"...three times. I think I still have the vinyl someplace...hmmm. Genius.

I love Joni and think she's beautiful, but you probably didn't have to get all that close to see her teeth.

:LOL:

Yes, I also think she is beautiful, and such an amazing talent, both as composer and performer. I guess you could say she is 'toothy', but it works somehow, makes her distinctively alluring, rather than being distracting.

I recall listening to her early works, and thinking, how can a person so young come up with such 'life experience' songs? I feel the same of Dylan. Her later works are great too, but by that time it kind of makes sense to me that one could write like that (assuming they are a genius of course).

Oh well, hope her health returns. Here's a very, very early video of her (17? - edit - nope 22-23) - you get a sense of her future greatness, and (IMO) is just stunningly beautiful:

I love how she changes the tone of her voice on certain syllables, I think that is what makes her sound distinctive. At ~ 2:08 in that video - just like me-e-e-e- (when she goes lower for the last 'eee', her tone changes).

And the Blue album - what a masterpiece. I never did see her in concert though.

-ERD50

Last edited:
I got into Joni's music much later, in the 1990s, with the Turbulent Indigo album. That superb collection features a low, sultry, reflective voice; I was surprised to learn that her early voice/range was much higher. (I trust the cigarettes have something to do with that.)

But the killer Joni performance, for me, is the one below. (An interesting comparison to the version linked by easysurfer above.) It exudes the message that she's been through a lot, and is a survivor. Hope she pulls through.

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing this.

Back
Top Bottom