July 30th, 1983 40 Years ago today

Sue J

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Today is the 40th anniversary of moving into our home. Ten years ago on July 30th, 2013 (30th anniversary) I posted this - https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/july-30-1983-thirty-years-ago-today-67710.html

We are still here! We've done a few more improvements, a new kitchen in 2019 and the deck renovation this spring. But the biggest "improvement" to our lives in this house is that now we have two grandsons (Nov. 2018 and Aug. 2021) who live just a mile away and spend plenty of time here with us. They stay overnight and I tell them this was your Daddy's home when he was a little boy. The 4 year old grandson loves the clothes chute I mentioned in the 30 year post.

At age 28 in 1983 we moved here and had long term plans but certainly not this long! I could not have imagined anything past our 30 year mortgage and future kids growing up. We are quite happy here and the place still works well for us. DH still likes doing the yard work. I don't know if we will make it to 50 years here in 2033, but I hope we can.

Last edited:
That's wonderful news. Glad you are still enjoying your home!

Today is the 40th anniversary of moving into our home. Ten years ago on July 30th, 2013 (30th anniversary) I posted this - https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/july-30-1983-thirty-years-ago-today-67710.html

We are still here! We've done a few more improvements, a new kitchen in 2019 and the deck renovation this spring. But the biggest "improvement" to our lives in this house is that now we have two grandsons (Nov. 2018 and Aug. 2021) who live just a mile away and spend plenty of time here with us. They stay overnight and I tell them this was your Daddy's home when he was a little boy. The 4 year old grandson loves the clothes chute I mentioned in the 30 year post.

At age 28 in 1983 we moved here and had long term plans but certainly not this long! I could not have imagined anything past our 30 year mortgage and future kids growing up. We are quite happy here and the place still works well for us. DH still likes doing the yard work. I don't know if we will make it to 50 years here in 2033, but I hope we can.

Please forgive me for "one-ups-manship" but I'm typing this from The Old Homestead. This is the house my mom and dad brought me to from the hospital where I was born. I've lived here off and on for 76 years. Not one year has gone by that I didn't at least walk through the place (whooops! I take that back - 2020 - the year that was COVID, we did not make it back to the mainland.)

DW and I moved to the Old Homestead when we got married. We moved back to it after we decided we didn't want to live in the country any more. We lived in it for 17 years and then moved a way for 8 years - then came back just before moving to the Islands. Now, in the Islands, we come back every year and live in the Old Homestead for the summer.

Some of my old toys are still in the attic and there are memories of family (and cats past) all over the place.

I've mentioned before that I can feel my BP go down when we enter the place. Familiarity and memories combine to make this a haven - even though we love our new adopted home and plan to live out our days there (Lord willin' and the creek don't rise.)

Sorry, Sue J, I should have congratulated you on your milestone. May you reach 50 years and beyond!

Shocking to me that 1983 was 40 years ago! Still seems kinda recent. I guess I’m getting old!!

Congrats Sue! You'll make it to 50 years in 2033.

Like you, I was 28 in 1983. We built our first house in 1984 and our current house in 1993/1994.

Home maintenance can be a chore as we get older, but I'm finding that it isn't too bad if spread out over a longer period of time, with the right tools, or if I hire someone to do the work.

Congrats on finding the right home in the right place so long ago. Not something many of us have been able to do.

Congratulations!! We’ve only reached our 22nd year in our home. It is the longest we’ve ever lived in one place, and we will likely stay here until we can’t navigate the stairs anymore.
We’re in the process of having two of the first trees we planted when we moved in removed. Two Bartlett Pear trees that have lived their lifespan and are breaking apart in storms. Sad to see them go.

Congratulations Sue J!
We have something similar, we bought the house from my folks that I was raised in, our kids grew up here, and now our grandkids spend family time here.
Single story 1960 ranch home, we hope to age in for as long as we wish, and can care for.

Back
Top Bottom