Jumping in to the Class of 2013...

Mimilulu

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi, I've been reading this forum on and off for the past few years but this is my first post.

Over the past several months I've been having a kind of chess game with my boss... him telling me there's not enough work to justify 40 hours, trying to find some assignment to "fill up my time" and they are all bad fits.

So, on March 1, I requested to reduce my hours to 20/week. My husband (58) and i (56) have been planning to retire late in 2014, when at 60 he will qualify for his company's retirement health care plan (expensive but comparable to what we have now).

We have 2 homes, both paid for (one we purchased, one we inherited) and both need some projects, so the move for me to half time works out well - I would be available to be home for any contractors but still have a bit of income to make the last push...

Back to the request for part time - this was at first accepted (in theory) but the boss needed time to think and this week, 3.5 weeks later, the request was denied. Not only that, but my position is being terminated. They are creating a new job title for 40 hours and I was offered that option, which I declined.

So my last day of work is April 26th. And they are making it a job elimination and not a resignation so I may be eligible for unemployment.

Since I have now 4 weeks to get my act together I'd appreciate any advice you experienced folks can give - and meanwhile I'll be posting more - especially in about a month!

Welcome to the forum and the class of 2013! (today was my last official day).

Welcome to the forum. Have you run your numbers through any retirement calculators to determine if you need to work at all ? Firecalc (link at bottom of page) is a good one that uses real historical values to determine if your situation would have led to a successful retirement in the past.

One you know if your the likelihood of success for your portfolio, pension, social security, expense combination you'll be in a better position to figure out whats next.

Since you are close to when you wanted to retire this may actually be a blessing in disguise to help you avoid "one more year" syndrome :)

Congrats.
As many relatives have found, these down-sizes (for whatever reason) can be a real blessing in disguise.

Uh, consult a lawyer that is well versed in the ADEA (Age Discrimination Employment Act) and be prepared to take action when your job is "eliminated".

Many companies do the little trick you just described and think they can get away with it. I think you can possibly get a years severence in a settlement.

Last edited:
Uh, consult a lawyer that is well versed in the ADEA (Age Discrimination Employment Act) and be prepared to take action when your job is "eliminated".

Many companies do the little trick you just described and think they can get away with it. I think you can possibly get a years severence in a settlement.

You may be correct. But let's say the job is truly not needed any longer, why would a company be held liable since they offered the employee a new position? I'm also assuming at equal pay in my question.

Back
Top Bottom