Kink in the Old Retirement Plan

I had something similar happen, only it was my current job being advertised in the WSJ. It was a bit disconcerting until I confronted my boss about it and learned they were looking for a replacement so I could be promoted. Would've saved me a bunch of grief had they told me in advance. ....

Ouch!!! Did they apologize?

It sounded like you didn't want it so why do you care? You know that there is enough going on to precipitate two levels of your management to leave suddenly. I'd be more interested in having conversations with them (individually) congratulating them on their retirement and finding out what the hell it means. They could both be coincidences but I doubt it.

True, but given enough pay, I'd grind through it for a couple of years.

I have had conversations with both. Retirement would come up in about half of the meetings with both of them. My boss's boss was known to be retiring sometime this year. It was just a matter of him setting the date. My boss basically said she was burnt out and no longer enjoyed the work. I get the feeling she may have not wanted to deal with the new supervisor. So, nothing really sinister going on.

Probably. But while I can understand your feelings of being slighted, post #11 in this thread may make you feel better.

It does. My wife was more upset about it than I was, mainly because she thought I'd be upset. And knowing we can survive my "retiring" 4-6 months earlier won't hurt us, makes me feel better too.

True, but given enough pay, I'd grind through it for a couple of years.

Maybe you'll get lucky and not get the job, then you can retire and enjoy yourself. You know the old saying "don't wish for something, you may get it".

Update. Over the weekend, there was an ad in the paper for my boss's job. No one mentioned it to me before hand. Do you think this is an indication of where I?
Your earlier emails almost sounded like you didn't want the job, but what exactly have you told them about your interest or lack thereof re: the job? I have to assume it's come up in performance appraisals or similar discussions.

Your earlier emails almost sounded like you didn't want the job, but what exactly have you told them about your interest or lack thereof re: the job? I have to assume it's come up in performance appraisals or similar discussions.

For what it entails, I'd prefer my boss to stay on for another year and then I'd help with the transition to a new one. I also want to avoid getting Attila the Hun for a boss, and being promoted would stop that.

Nothing has been discussed about career advancement for years. There is very little movement at top levels here. We're just seeing the start of the Baby Boomer retirement. They do know I'm planning on retiring in a couple of years, but no date has been mentioned.

Maybe you'll get lucky and not get the job, then you can retire and enjoy yourself. You know the old saying "don't wish for something, you may get it".

Or I do get offered it, but refuse it because it doesn't pay enough. That could be either good or bad for my remaining years.

I was in a similar postion two years ago. I did not apply for my bosses job as I knew that I would not get it and I was not willing to relocate.

The silver lining was that within six months the company, and my new boss decided to eliminate a level of management. I fell into a very nice golden handshake that allowed me to retire earlier than I had previously planned. I no longer enjoyed my job or MegaCorp.

So, stick around, keep your ear to the ground, and hope for some kind of goldern handshake or termination agreement.

akck said:
For what it entails, I'd prefer my boss to stay on for another year and then I'd help with the transition to a new one. I also want to avoid getting Attila the Hun for a boss, and being promoted would stop that.

Nothing has been discussed about career advancement for years. There is very little movement at top levels here. We're just seeing the start of the Baby Boomer retirement. They do know I'm planning on retiring in a couple of years, but no date has been mentioned.

If I was the person doing the hiring and I knew you would be gone in a couple of years I would be inclined to look elsewhere. I would not be surprised by the ad at all if I were you.

Or I do get offered it, but refuse it because it doesn't pay enough. That could be either good or bad for my remaining years.

Since you can leave anytime you're in a powerful position... I'd go with the "How about I don't take that job, but you increase my pay to what it would be if I did... otherwise I'm out"

talk about the best of both worlds:cool:

If I was the person doing the hiring and I knew you would be gone in a couple of years I would be inclined to look elsewhere. I would not be surprised by the ad at all if I were you.
If that was the plan (and it could well be), I'd have the courtesy to let any and all potential internal candidates know before looking outside and posting an ad regardless of any career discussions we may have had. And I've actually done exactly that several times. What's the downside of treating co-workers at any level with some decency and transparency?

If that was the plan (and it could well be), I'd have the courtesy to let any and all potential internal candidates know before looking outside and posting an ad regardless of any career discussions we may have had. And I've actually done exactly that several times. What's the downside of treating co-workers at any level with some decency and transparency?

Thanks Midpack. That's exactly my feelings. While I really wasn't surprised about the ad, they would look better had they informed everyone what was happening, especially since they tout promotion from within.

Thanks Midpack. That's exactly my feelings. While I really wasn't surprised about the ad, they would look better had they informed everyone what was happening, especially since they tout promotion from within.
Just because they are running an ad doesn't mean that they won't fill it internally. They may just want to see what is available from the outside. If a superstar shows up, they would go with them. If they aren't overwhelmed, you may still get a visit.

You didn't say anywhere that I saw about how old you are. If you are too close to "normal" retirement age, they may take a pass on you because they want someone that can "grow" with the organization. If you're 63 they are pretty sure that you won't still be around to go two or three levels above your boss' level. They won't put it that way but age discrimination is alive and well. From a corporate succession planning point, I can't say that it isn't all bad either.

Since you can leave anytime you're in a powerful position... I'd go with the "How about I don't take that job, but you increase my pay to what it would be if I did... otherwise I'm out"

talk about the best of both worlds:cool:

Thanks, but that won't work here. Threats to quit don't work. What might work is quitting and they ask you to stay, but there's the chance they won't ask.

I really need to put in at least another year in order to retire, but it is good to know I can retire 4-6 months earlier than planned. I've been able to put up with a Wicked Witch of the West for a boss for a year, so I figure I can do it again. Besides, if I put in and don't get, there's always a chance I get the Best Boss in the World and can retire as planned.

Just because they are running an ad doesn't mean that they won't fill it internally. They may just want to see what is available from the outside. If a superstar shows up, they would go with them. If they aren't overwhelmed, you may still get a visit.

You didn't say anywhere that I saw about how old you are. If you are too close to "normal" retirement age, they may take a pass on you because they want someone that can "grow" with the organization. If you're 63 they are pretty sure that you won't still be around to go two or three levels above your boss' level. They won't put it that way but age discrimination is alive and well. From a corporate succession planning point, I can't say that it isn't all bad either.

True, but in most places I've worked, they usually give internal candidates a shot first. They do that here on occasion too.

Normal retirement for me is 60 and I'm about 2 years out. Higher level turnover was almost non-existent, but we are starting to see the effects of Baby Boomers retiring. While I understand why they may want someone who can be around a lot longer, there is something to be said for minimizing disruption of two higher levels leaving at the same time. If they pick the wrong person, they could face a mass of early retires and resignations.

True, but in most places I've worked, they usually give internal candidates a shot first. They do that here on occasion too.
Even if I'd made up my mind to go outside and pass on internal candidates, I'd have let the candidates know my intentions and been prepared to tell them why they were not being considered and what they needed to do to be considered next time. IMO, it's the decent thing for a Manager to do, and he/she owes as much to current employees.

You shouldn't have been blindsided unless you've already made it very clear you were not interested, and then I'd have simply told you as a courtesy.

Even if I'd made up my mind to go outside and pass on internal candidates, I'd have let the candidates know my intentions and been prepared to tell them why they were not being considered and what they needed to do to be considered next time. IMO, it's the decent thing for a Manager to do, and he/she owes as much to current employees.

You shouldn't have been blindsided unless you've already made it very clear you were not interested, and then I'd have simply told you as a courtesy.

I wasn't totally blindsided because with a new department boss, I expected they would advertise. I agree common courtesy would have been for them to keep us informed and it's not as if they didn't have the chance to do so.

I was in a similar situation, where the job was advertised and all internal candidates were encouraged to apply, but told there would be an external search anyway. As it turned out, there was an internal candidate who was favored to get the job, and in the first six months he made sure to get rid of all the other internal candidates who wanted his post. Your company politics may vary, but things aren't always obvious.

+1

Normal retirement for me is 60 and I'm about 2 years out. Higher level turnover was almost non-existent, but we are starting to see the effects of Baby Boomers retiring.
I have no idea what industry you are in but I suspect you are lumped in with "about to retire anyway" people. You are expected to be a good little plow horse and dutifully do your job for a couple more years to let your new (much younger) bosses come up to speed. Excuse my blutness but I suspect you are considered expendable. I suspect that they didn't talk to you about getting your boss' job because they never thought about you getting it or wanting it.

Of course, I'm 60 and my company considers me essential to their operations. :ROFLMAO: Actually, I used to have an "important, senior management postion" in a large international company; but in a company reorg about 10 years ago, I was informed as to how important I really was. Fortunately, I just happen to have the right degree and the vestiges of a scarce skill set so I can get billed out to unsuspecting clients. I'm FI and I don't care if they run me off. The w*rk is easy and I can't spend all the money they give me. If this job wasn't so easy and flexible, I'm sure I would have retired long ago. God save me from anything resembling my past life.

I have no idea what industry you are in but I suspect you are lumped in with "about to retire anyway" people. You are expected to be a good little plow horse and dutifully do your job for a couple more years to let your new (much younger) bosses come up to speed. Excuse my blutness but I suspect you are considered expendable. I suspect that they didn't talk to you about getting your boss' job because they never thought about you getting it or wanting it.

Of course, I'm 60 and my company considers me essential to their operations. :ROFLMAO: Actually, I used to have an "important, senior management postion" in a large international company; but in a company reorg about 10 years ago, I was informed as to how important I really was. Fortunately, I just happen to have the right degree and the vestiges of a scarce skill set so I can get billed out to unsuspecting clients. I'm FI and I don't care if they run me off. The w*rk is easy and I can't spend all the money they give me. If this job wasn't so easy and flexible, I'm sure I would have retired long ago. God save me from anything resembling my past life.

I work in government if that makes any difference. While my choice would have been to delay all of this to the point where any outcome wouldn't matter, self-preservation has kicked in and applying will throw a kink into their plan, if they have one.

I've never considered myself essential in any job. I've seen too many people who thought they were, only to be looking for another job. I did have some comfort when one company I left ended up hiring two people to do the all of the functions I did there.

In my current job, I know there are people who can replace me, but not many will do it for the salary range I'm in and would likely have only half my skill set (job actually pays well for half my skill set). So one factor in their thinking may be that I won't be cheaply replaced.

In my current job, I know there are people who can replace me, but not many will do it for the salary range I'm in and would likely have only half my skill set (job actually pays well for half my skill set). So one factor in their thinking may be that I won't be cheaply replaced.
I suspect you are giving them more credit than they deserve. This is especially true since your boss and your boss' boss have left. The next level above that probably has no clue what you do and doesn't really care.

Yes, I have a problem with my cynacism; but with everything going on in the world today, I can't keep up.

Back
Top Bottom