Lactose Intolerant

calico1597

Recycles dryer sheets
I've just been diagnosed as lactose intolerant, not thrilled with the news but will work at being compliant. I've noticed there are tablets to take before eating dairy products. Anyone use these? You take one before consuming dairy products. If you're still chowing a half hour later take another tablet. Sounds awesome to me, especially if out for pizza or a Mexican meal with friends.

DW is lactose intolerant. She takes the lactase tablets available at Costco when eating dairy and has learned to gauge how many to take. It is surprising how many products contain milk - you really need to read the labels carefully and in restaurants, assume dairy content to be on the safe side.

Some people with lactose intolerance can eat a small amount without problems.

I have pretty much give up dairy entirely. I have difficulty with the milk protein casein and also don't digest milk fats well.

In addition to the tablets, you can buy Lactose free milks. Breyers also makes a Lactose free Vanilla Ice Cream. Both taste fine. The products always say lactose free, but that's not exactly true. They are regular milk and ice cream with an added enzyme that, like the tablets, helps you digest the lactose.

DW is lactose intolerant. She takes the lactase tablets available at Costco when eating dairy and has learned to gauge how many to take. It is surprising how many products contain milk - you really need to read the labels carefully and in restaurants, assume dairy content to be on the safe side.

The Costco lactase tablets do the job and are half the cost (or less) of anywhere else. It's a generic substance. Like the prior poster, you figure out how often (and how many) you need to take them. I used to take one every time I ate dairy but I have discovered over the years that that is overkill. You just have to see what works. I have been able to go from breakfast through dinner on one pill. If my tummy starts to feel a little crampy, I quickly pop another pill and things quiet down within 15 minutes.

I also know someone who takes at least 3 pills if they are eating any dairy and sometimes even that doesn't work!

Did you know English muffins have milk in them? You have to pay great attention to food labels if you are very sensitive.

The lactose pills work great.

I keep a few of the ones wrapped in foil in my purse in case I suddenly need one for an ice cream emergency :)

Ben and Jerry’s Dairy free ice cream...best ever! Also, anything certified vegan is dairy free. As a long-time vegan, I lost the ability to tolerate any dairy so carry the pills whenever traveling. If I eat anything that I’m not certain/convinced is dairy free (like a slice of bread or crackers) I take a pill right away. It amazes me how pervasive dairy is in processed foods. Still get a mild stomach ache but the pills seem to prevent an explosive upset.

Those pills do work well. Not 100% but much better than nothing.

Also, there is lactose free milk and even lactose free ice cream. But I've only seen vanilla lactose free ice cream, no other flavors.

DW is lactose intolerant, but not acutely. She drinks lactose free milk daily but mostly avoids dairy products like ice cream and yogurt which she used to enjoy. I’ll have to ask her if she’s tried the pre-tablets. Fortunately items with small amounts of dairy don’t seem to bother her a lot so far.

For me, the lactose intolerance came about gradually. In younger years, no problems with dairy. Then became more intolerant over time. Now, even if I eat a cookie that is prepared with milk, without those tablets, I can tell the cookie was prepared with milk.

I've just been diagnosed as lactose intolerant, not thrilled with the news but will work at being compliant. I've noticed there are tablets to take before eating dairy products. Anyone use these? You take one before consuming dairy products. If you're still chowing a half hour later take another tablet. Sounds awesome to me, especially if out for pizza or a Mexican meal with friends.

I am surprised you needed to be diagnosed.... I figured it out on my own...

Now, I am not that bad as I can eat ice cream and drink milk (usually for cereal when I do use it) but only once in awhile... if I do either for a few days in a row I am paying the price...

Cookies and other things made with dairy does not seem to affect me... at least I have not yet determined if they do...

Severely lactose intolerant when younger, used the lactose pills for several years.
I stopped taking them just to experiment, and now I can eat yogurt and cheese without problem, but milk and ice cream have to be limited.

I'm pretty sure lactose pills will just make things worse, but the lactase pills contain lactase which will convert the lactose into the sugars glucose and galactose.

Lactase is an enzyme, so it is simply a protein.

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-540/lactase

Your pancreas secretes enzymes into your stomach that will break down (digest) proteins that you eat including any lactase that you take in pill form.

Last edited:
I use the pills before meals with cheese, milk products , pizza. They work for me. I'm self diagnosed. Got better after trying
no dairy, and when trying it again, problems start again. Going on 13-14 years, and the pills help, but only up to a point. Generic are A-OK for me. Walmart has some fair priced ones we use.

Back
Top Bottom