Landline to cell phone

BooBoo

Recycles dryer sheets
I would like to "port" my landline to my cell phone and drop the current phone service with TV/Phone/internet provider. Has anyone done this? Just call the current provider?

We ported our landline to cheap plan on T-Mobile using an old cell phone we had. Worked okay but we were then able to port the number to Google Voice, which appears to be free and also forwards calls and texts to my cell. Completely happy with that solution.

Conversely, I just cancelled my landline twenty years ago and kept my totally different cell phone number, which I've kept through a few different providers.
That works, too...

I would like to "port" my landline to my cell phone and drop the current phone service with TV/Phone/internet provider. Has anyone done this? Just call the current provider?
My brother did it. Not sure of the process, but he did, saving family phone number we've had since 1972.

DW did it about 10 years ago. I don't remember the details, but she is NOT Tech Savvy, so it can't be that hard.:hide:

I ported my father in law's number to a Verizon Prepaid account ($35). I paid for one month and then ported to a cheaper MVNO.

You will need to verify that the carrier ports land lines. Many MVNO cannot port a landline.

There are other threads on this topic if you want to search and read through other responses.

The most important part - DO NOT CANCEL your current service until the port is verified to be completed.

Once you cancel, your number is a free agent, and near 0% chance of getting it back.

For the rest, as mentioned, call the provider you are porting to.

-ERD50

The most important part - DO NOT CANCEL your current service until the port is verified to be completed.

Once you cancel, your number is a free agent, and near 0% chance of getting it back.

For the rest, as mentioned, call the provider you are porting to.

-ERD50

^^^ This.

Yes, talk to the provider. I switched our lake home from wireline to VoIP a few years ago but was unable the port the number. The problem as explained to me was that our local rural co-op telephone company did not participate in the agreements necessary to port numbers. So that was a dead stop, no workarounds. Good luck.

Yes you can port it to a cell carrier first by setting up an account with them and ordering a sim card. Do you plan to port it on to Google voice which is free? If so Google charges around $20 for porting to them and then it's free after that. You would then download the Google Voice app and have the number ring via the app on your cell along with your regular cell number. I've had it set up that way for many years now. Don't call your current provider, work with the cell carrier to port the number.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom