last home purchase ... house or condo??

KWblack,
Do you feel the stairs are good or bad for your health?
My wife wants a 1st floor master but, I don't care and don't mind stairs.

KWblack,
Do you feel the stairs are good or bad for your health?
My wife wants a 1st floor master but, I don't care and don't mind stairs.

I think it's been good for us. At first I was breathing hard going from the 1st to 3rd level but after a while I didn't think about it. We did have to do some shifting around when DH got his hip replacement and when I seriously sprained my ankle and had an air cast but not that bad. I didn't go looking for a 3 level home but glad I didn't rule it out.

We are totally happy with the 1500+sf home we own in our CCRC. probably not too attractive at age 40 or 50, but available for those 55 and older.
All outside maintenance, winter and summer... snow, lawn and trees and shrubs HOA fee just went up from $125/mo, to $150/mo. First increase since 2004.

No worry about the future,as when we're ready, automatic move to apartment, assisted living, rehab, nursing home or Alzheimer unit.. all on campus. All handicapped friendly, w/ elevators where necessary.

Not the little house on the lake, but all new, reasonable cost, and nothing to fear for the future... either moving or money.

A little more here:
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/selling-and-renting-97570.html#post2240167 post #12.

If there's a "campus" type CCRC in your area, it may be worth a look.

Last edited:
I think it's been good for us. At first I was breathing hard going from the 1st to 3rd level but after a while I didn't think about it. We did have to do some shifting around when DH got his hip replacement and when I seriously sprained my ankle and had an air cast but not that bad. I didn't go looking for a 3 level home but glad I didn't rule it out.

Our neighbors in Florida are a retired couple ages 80 and 77. They own a very nice stilt house (the area floods occasionally)..........so there are quite a few steps to get up to the living quarters. They told me last year that they are fine with the steps, as the exercise they get going up and down daily is a good thing, and keeps them healthy and in good shape. I understand that some people with poor health could not do what they do, but I hope to be able to do what they do when I reach their age.

Stairs are not always just a choice. Knees, hips can become injured or wear out. My MIL would not have been able to stay in her house without the fortune of having an elevator after a hip injury.

I lived in a snowbird condo 4 months out of the year, and our primary residence is a 3800 sf house on 5 wooded acres on a lake. Total opposites on the maintenance spectrum. At the house, I probably spend 30-40 hours per week on house and grounds upkeep. At the condo, the only maintenance that I did was change the smoke detector batteries.

That said, I found the condo to be confining. No workshop, only a 1 car garage, only 1 tv, no home office.

But a decision on house vs condo should be made on what you anticipate your needs to be years down the road. We sold our condo because of the above reasons. Now we are going to sell our house because of the maintenance. I want to buy a small house that has little maintenance yet gives me a little of what our current house has. Something that will fit what I believe our needs will be 10 years down the road.

I feel about the same way. I don't think I could be happy in a condo for the reasons Ronstar cited, plus the noise/close neighbor issues. So if/when we move out of the house we are in, it will probably be to a smaller house, where I can still have a little space for a workshop and a garden, plus more privacy than I could probably get in a condo unit. Yes, I know a house involves some maintenance, but I need to keep active for as long as possible anyway, so I don't mind doing a few maintenance chores, as long as they are not overwhelming.

Back
Top Bottom