Legacy investment for GGGrandson?

Kiddog78

Confused about dryer sheets
Our sweet elderly neighbor & friend wants to leave a legacy (my definition) inheritance to her infant GGGson. Her trusted FA is recommending a prepaid ($10k) IUL policy from Minn Insurance Co. She did show me the policy & asked what I thought. I've no knowledge in this area, but did opinion this is likely an expensive vehicle. That's not really a concern for her, and this does maybe meet her goal. Any alternatives that might accomplish the same goal?

How about an UTMA account(controlled by Grandma) at Fidelity/Vanguard/Schwab that can be invested in a low cost total stock market fund that will really give the Grandson a legacy without all of the expenses. IUL is not a great investment except for the very wealthy to shield assets.

VW

I think it’s a great idea for a grandchild. As long as it has cash value for borrowing against in college or later years.

I’ve used prepaid cash value life insurance policies for my daughters and their families. While my wife and I are alive we own the policies and could use the cash value to borrow against if we ever needed it (unlikely). Otherwise these are significant face value permanent policies that will protect their families while giving them (or us) a vehicle To borrow against for paying for college.

How about an UTMA account(controlled by Grandma) at Fidelity/Vanguard/Schwab that can be invested in a low cost total stock market fund that will really give the Grandson a legacy without all of the expenses. IUL is not a great investment except for the very wealthy to shield assets.

VW
This! Cash value life insurance is very rarely a good idea unless you are selling it.

Our sweet elderly neighbor & friend wants to leave a legacy (my definition) inheritance to her infant GGGson. Her trusted FA is recommending a prepaid ($10k) IUL policy from Minn Insurance Co. She did show me the policy & asked what I thought. I've no knowledge in this area, but did opinion this is likely an expensive vehicle. That's not really a concern for her, and this does maybe meet her goal. Any alternatives that might accomplish the same goal?

The "trusted FA" is trying to earn a buck.

who is the life insurance policy on, or for? who is the "insured"

I ask, because if it's gggrandma, ten grand buys whatever amount of life insurance that gets paid to a trust for the gggrandkid, well, that's not so bad.

It were talking about a 10k policy on the kid, no bueno, in my opinion.

I'd rather the money in a 529 or UGTM (each has pro/con) funded with an s&p index fund.

Trusted FA earns X from the policy, is my first guess.

Oh, and ... this is not an FA that should be trusted and his relationship with the neighbor is not a fiduciary relationship.

Having worked in life insurance and owned a whole life policy since my early 20s, I think that is a horrible idea. Whole life insurance is good for some insurance situations but less so as an investment.

There are limited situations where whole life insurance is a good solution (like to cover estate taxes on a family business or family farm or for business partners) but college savings is not one of those applications.

I have a portion of an inherited Roth IRA earmarked for my gransdon. While I have it aggressively invested one could easily just put the money in SPY or a total stock ETF or a world stock ETF.

If she has tax deferred saving she could do a $10k Roth conversion to a new Roth with the GGGson as the beneficiary and then invest in in one of the suggestions above and watch if grow. It will more than likely outperform the whole life policy and still be tax free.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom