LEO Just retired...

Welcome and Congrats!
You’ll find this forum very supportive and informative.
Semper Fi

So, I tried the FIREcalc and it showed 100%. I guess it's good to go then?

Good2Go:
Congrats on your retirement and thank you for your dedicated service. Looks like your planning paid off for sure. I guess I do not know enough about your retirement plan; although, not sure why you are not eligible for SS, unless you didn’t pay into the system? Either way, with a $13,500 monthly pension plus your assets ……you are Good2Go [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Good2Go:
Congrats on your retirement and thank you for your dedicated service. Looks like your planning paid off for sure. I guess I do not know enough about your retirement plan; although, not sure why you are not eligible for SS, unless you didn’t pay into the system? Either way, with a $13,500 monthly pension plus your assets ……you are Good2Go [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Thanks, buddy, appreciate it. We, public safety, don't pay into the SS system - just paid into our retirement system. I might get a little bit SS college jobs before LEO career. However, will get a nice 2% COLA pump from the get-go in April. It's good2go!!!:LOL: Received an SS statement every year showing that I'll get $200ish a month later. Not even half a tank of gas on my truck.

Last edited:
Thanks, buddy, appreciate it. We, public safety, don't pay into the SS system or SS tax with my agency. I might get a little bit SS from the previous agency and college jobs. However, will get a nice 2& COLA pump from the get-go in April. It's good2go!!!:LOL:

Easy way to find out. Go to SS.gov and set up an account. They will show you your career SS earnings. If for some reason you are a few credits/quarters short, go out and get an easy part time gig until you have enough quarters to qualify. Basically you need 40 credits. 4 credits per year so ten years of SS reporting. Good luck.

Thanks, buddy, appreciate it. We, public safety, don't pay into the SS system - just paid into our retirement system. I might get a little bit SS college jobs before LEO career. However, will get a nice 2 COLA pump from the get-go in April. It's good2go!!!:LOL:

Yeah, I retired 30 year US Navy and did the civil service thing. Ironically, we are also at about the same retirement income (except I am 9 years your senior) until I decide to take my SS then fun really begins😂😂😂
Take care

Yeah, I retired 30 year US Navy and did the civil service thing. Ironically, we are also at about the same retirement income (except I am 9 years your senior) until I decide to take my SS then fun really begins😂😂😂
Take care

Us military folks always forget to add up the housing money we received all of those years. Also most 20+ folks I know are receiving at least some VA disability which is also tax free. The thing that I like to mention to non military, non LEO people is that all of our pension information is public record along with the payscales. No secrets. Just do your time and collect the pension check.

Us military folks always forget to add up the housing money we received all of those years. Also most 20+ folks I know are receiving at least some VA disability which is also tax free. The thing that I like to mention to non military, non LEO people is that all of our pension information is public record along with the payscales. No secrets. Just do your time and collect the pension check.

Yeah, no disability here lol.

Yeah, no disability here lol.

I'm currently in the review process for disability retirement. Likely will be approved within 6-12 months with all my documented IODs. Still going through treatment. Just have to wait and see.

I'm currently in the review process for disability retirement. Likely will be approved within 6-12 months with all my documented IODs. Still going through treatment. Just have to wait and see.

So are you still active? I hope it works out for ya!

So are you still active? I hope it works out for ya!

I just retired end of February with regular service retirement. When/if they finalized the disability retirement, they'll do an adjustment and retroactively reimburse the fed/state income taxes.

Congratulations! Now is a good time to be getting out big city police work. I retired after 42 years of street service. Don't know where you worked but I do know it wasn't Texas!
Hope your retirement goes better than mine..Thought I was ready to go but I was wrong..Didn't make the kind of money you did but I would have done it for free..Enjoy your newfound freedom!

welcome, congratulations and thank-you. I spent 35-yrs working public safety comms,the last 28-yrs at a regional 9-1-1 call center. you ARE among friends here.

True, I was just another clown in the circus. Miss some of the crew but the dog and pony show is getting ridiculous and crowd is getting rough.

I thought it was getting weird 40 years ago when I got out. I had no idea. Oh my!

You richly deserve every cent. I used to hear that this was a three part deal. Making it, Saving it, and Keeping it. This is a good place to get help on keeping it and protecting it now that you’ve done the making and saving part. Thanks for your service!

Good2Go - Congratulations! Thank you for your service and welcome aboard! I’m not a big contributor here but greatly appreciate the insight and information kicked around in this forum. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom