Less Tender Cows

I think it depends on how you define "chewy" - it is not totally black and white.

Way too much info on food before it hits the plate.:( That kind of discussion at the table would result in me feeling sorry for dinner and ending up with a salad.

We paid $100 for meals at a restaurant that has been great in the past.

This time, the prime rib was chewy. Really chewy. Had to spit out a lot.

So, I guess that depends on what the cow ate and how old it was when slaughtered?

I don’t know what happened, but we had the same thing happen. A place where we’ve ordered and very much enjoyed the prime rib one time served us a piece of meat that could not be eaten. We sent it back, something I can’t ever remember doing before. It was that bad. They did give us another prime rib but it wasn’t as good as it had been before. But it was good enough to eat. We felt they made it right, but it was a bit disappointing.

If I were looking for a name for my new rock band, it would be "Less Tender Cows"....

That name just rocks.

I like these cows - they taste like Oreos.

They are very popular over here these days, we see them everywhere, but I don't remember seeing any before we left the UK in 1987.

About

The Belted Galloway is currently experiencing an upsurge in popularity and it's no wonder. One of the most visually distinctive breeds of cattle, its many merits lie not only in its unique appearance and good nature, but also in its hardiness and top quality beef. Originating in the harsh upland climate of the Galloway hills in beautiful south west Scotland, the Beltie is well-equipped to thrive outdoors in any climate. This remarkable animal is slow to mature, which means its beef has a special flavour and texture which is the envy of many other breeds. The cows live far longer than other cattle often well into their twenties, producing more calves and reducing replacement costs.

My apple and grass finished Black Angus steers have about two more weeks before being harvested right here on the ranch - no final rodeo, no loading on trucks. They have a good life with only one bad day.

What the beeves have been eating and how they are treated in their last few days makes a huge difference in the tenderness and flavor of the meat.

dutch belted are black and white. Belted galloways are white and black. :cool:

IMG_0640.JPG

We had the same thing happen at a well known steak house. Always received delicious, tender filet mignon.
Last dinner there, it was tough and had gristle. Don't think it was the same cut, even though I ordered the filet. Spent $130. Do not plan to go there again and need to find another good place.
We do buy good steak at Costco and a local meat market, but sometimes we want a fancy dinner out!

Last dinner there, it was tough and had gristle. Don't think it was the same cut, even though I ordered the filet. Spent $130. Do not plan to go there again and need to find another good place.

Did you mention it to management? I would think that losing a $130 customer is not something they would enjoy. Perhaps, they made a rare (pun intended) mistake? They might have given you some extras as well as two good filets.

In Mexico, we can choose between Costco imported beef or locally butchered beef. The Costco is tender but the local is better flavour (and cheaper but chewy).

When the waiter asked, "How is everything?" I caved and said it was good. I'm just too nice or something. I don't like it when people complain to the waiters, but I definitely should have.

The restaurant's website had no feedback form. But this really is the premiere place in Humboldt County.

So I snail-mailed this (I sent it anonymously because I don't want a response and I don't want them to think we're just after a refund. We're done with that restaurant):

Some feedback:

The xxx xxx has been our favorite restaurant for the twenty years we’ve lived here. Lately, the quality seems to have decreased, and our dinner last night was not great.

1. The prime rib was chewy. It was by far the worst prime rib I’ve ever had. I had to spit out most of the mouthfuls.

2. The brisket was okay, but nothing like the melt-in-your-mouth cuts I’ve had at your restaurant in the past.

3. In the past, I’ve said, “Even the salad is ‘wow food.’” The salad last night was nothing special. I’ve had better salads at Denny’s.

We’re debating whether we ever want to go back to the xxx xxxx.

Finally, by not publishing an email address or having a feedback form on your website, you make it more difficult for diners to provide you the feedback you obviously need. I considered leaving a bad Yelp review, hoping you’d read it, but decided against that because of our past loyalty to you.​

We brought home the leftovers, and I threw the prime rib in the slow cooker! That made it edible.

To get the super tender stuff, start with carefully marbled beef, then age till it's rotting, but not too much. Not easy to do on a volume basis.

When Filet mignon is wraped with bacon, it can mask " aged a little too long " beef situation :rolleyes: .

When the waiter asked, "How is everything?" I caved and said it was good. I'm just too nice or something. I don't like it when people complain to the waiters, but I definitely should have.

The restaurant's website had no feedback form. But this really is the premiere place in Humboldt County.

So I snail-mailed this (I sent it anonymously because I don't want a response and I don't want them to think we're just after a refund. We're done with that restaurant):

Some feedback:

The xxx xxx has been our favorite restaurant for the twenty years we’ve lived here. Lately, the quality seems to have decreased, and our dinner last night was not great.

1. The prime rib was chewy. It was by far the worst prime rib I’ve ever had. I had to spit out most of the mouthfuls.

2. The brisket was okay, but nothing like the melt-in-your-mouth cuts I’ve had at your restaurant in the past.

3. In the past, I’ve said, “Even the salad is ‘wow food.’” The salad last night was nothing special. I’ve had better salads at Denny’s.

We’re debating whether we ever want to go back to the xxx xxxx.

Finally, by not publishing an email address or having a feedback form on your website, you make it more difficult for diners to provide you the feedback you obviously need. I considered leaving a bad Yelp review, hoping you’d read it, but decided against that because of our past loyalty to you.​

We brought home the leftovers, and I threw the prime rib in the slow cooker! That made it edible.

Can't you leave a review on Yelp?

Can't you leave a review on Yelp?
I considered that, but it's got 350 great reviews, and the review might not even be noticed. I still might.

We paid $100 for meals at a restaurant that has been great in the past.

This time, the prime rib was chewy. Really chewy. Had to spit out a lot.

So, I guess that depends on what the cow ate and how old it was when slaughtered?

Best beef I've had was in Buenos Aires. I had heard the Argentina had good steak, but I was stunned at how good it was. If you are there, find a restaurant that has hanging beef.

I think so. We had steaks in a restaurant near Bologna, Italy a few years back. The waiter brought us, basically, a birth certificate of the cow. Where it grew up, what it ate. The meat was excellent as it grew up roaming the mountainside eating grass. I was happy it had a nice life.
Wow! This sounds like a scene in Portlandia. :LOL:

My experience with steak in Basque Country: They sear the outside over wood coals, extremely rare inside. It was delicious! I think it was a bone in ribeye. They cut the steak diagonally and left the strips attached to the bone. This was a special breed, and they use old cows!

In the US we never order steak in a restaurant but have it at home because it’s so easy to prepare and get it done just like you like it. I simply buy good quality meat.

I just cooked a couple of beautiful thick tenderloin slices in cast iron (sear stovetop, finish roasting in oven) and they were so good! Fortunately there is a terrific meat market around here. Keeps me fed very well when visiting Dad’s place. Otherwise I am really stuck out in the country with minimal food options.

Last edited:
Many factors to beef tenderness, main ones below:

- genetics (breed, individual)
- diet (grain:forage)
- activity level (decreases with excessive activity)
- food preparation method (home, restaurant)
- tenderness processing (liquid/needle treatment, tumbling, etc). Example, “X % Solution Added” on label.

FYI, not all bovines are “cows”. Most tender steaks come from castrated male animals about 18 months old - called a “steer”. Cows are older female animals that have previously given birth to a calf - 2 to 15 years old.

Retired animal scientist.

Many factors to beef tenderness, main ones below:

- genetics (breed, individual)
- diet (grain:forage)
- activity level (decreases with excessive activity)
- food preparation method (home, restaurant)
- tenderness processing (liquid/needle treatment, tumbling, etc). Example, “X % Solution Added” on label.

FYI, not all bovines are “cows”. Most tender steaks come from castrated male animals about 18 months old - called a “steer”. Cows are older female animals that have previously given birth to a calf - 2 to 15 years old.

Retired animal scientist.
The Basques will argue with you about decreased tenderness over time. They use old dairy cows for their increased tenderness, like 8 to 18 years! Certain breeds of course, and pastured a certain way.

Grass fed beef might be healthier but has less marbling than grain fed. But regardless, if the cut of beef is prime, the meat should be tender. My thoughts.

The Basques will argue with you about decreased tenderness over time. They use old dairy cows for their increased tenderness, like 8 to 18 years! Certain breeds of course, and pastured a certain way.

Maybe the Basques have a unique situation where the stars line up to create tender beef from old dairy cows. In North America cull dairy cows create very lean trim (used in ground beef) and some cheaper cuts and roasts. That said one can make tough beef more tender via mechanical processing, solution treatment, and/or an aging process. Probably never going to compete with a naturally tender steak from a grain fed meat breed steer.

Point here is that there are many paths to tender (or not) beef. Much harder to accomplish when the starting point of the raw meat is not tender.

Back
Top Bottom