Life after Bucket Lists

My bucket list began modestly about 30 years ago, long before the movie popularized the term. I've completed about 70 items, and there are still about 70 left. It was never meant to be a static list, and never will be, so I don't expect to ever "complete it" - unless I find out I'm terminal (somewhat like the movie). My goals may get less ambitious, but I expect there will always be more I want to do or experience...

Last edited:
My last stint as a CEO was an international company with subs in Malaysia and The Philippines. Regular trips every quarter. Saw many sites that would never have made my bucket list (including Brunei, Malacca and Bali). Plus flight stopovers in Fairbanks, Taipei and HK.

My DW and I are FI but RE -1.5 yrs. About 6 years ago when we became empty nested we worked up a travel bucket list. Our usual vacation was to visit my family's cottage at a Quebec lake or her family's bi-annual trip to Myrtle Beach. Beyond that, over 25+ years we had been to Britain a couple times, the UP of Michigan, Tuscon, Maui, Lake Tahoe, San Francisco, and Alaska, so we already had the travel bug. Since the list we have taken a major trip or two every year and have also been to Italy, Switzerland, Yellowstone and the Tetons, Kauai, Banff and Jasper, Crater Lake and elsewhere around Oregon, France, Colorado, and northern Arizona.

Going forward, the list is full for 10 years or so, but we keep adding. Still to come are an eastern Caribbean cruise, Norway fjordlands, Yosemite, England again, Florida & the Keys, southern Utah national parks, Glacier Nat. Park, Alaska again, Cascades and Olympia parks, Ireland, Southern British Columbia, Austria, Acadia, the Smokies, maybe New Zealand, etc.

If I had total dream for the list, it would be to fly in space.

From the 'done' list:

Attachments

• 970.jpg
    970.jpg
    798.9 KB · Views: 10
I only had 2 very specific things that I wanted to do when we retired.

Go back and for at least 6 months live in the small market town in England that our children were born in and where we have so many good memories.

Spend 5 or 6 months in Australia and New Zealand. We have twice spent a month in Australia and loved it, and I really wanted to spend a lot more time there.

We've done both of those things now plus a lot more travel here in the USA and in Europe. (In 2013 we spent about 6 months visiting various countries in Europe).

Having spent 6 years in retirement our goals have now changed, and the only thing now on my new bucket list is to set up a permanent place in that town in England we love so much, and spend the summers over there and winters back in Texas. Travel will become much more normal with shorter trips in Europe and the USA.

Before I retired, I had a bucket list of things I wanted to do (mostly hobbies and some collectables) and places I wanted to visit, (mostly international). Got them all done to my satisfaction. The last thing on my pre retirement bucket list was to reach FIRE. :dance: That was the hardest to accomplish, on my terms.

I still pursue my hobbies (lifelong interest) but no specific bucket list post retirement. These days, I take it as it comes without any specific tasks to accomplish, timelines to go by, location to reach, etc. When I get ready to go someplace or do sometime, I just go and/or do it. Usually with very little planning or scheduling. Not traditional, but come to think of it, maybe that defines my post retirement bucket list. Reaching the freedom to do, whatever and whenever.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom