Lightweight Raingear

HadEnuff

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Who has recommendations for lightweight raingear. I play golf (sometimes in the rain) and fish (sometimes in the rain). Also, planning on spending the first two weeks in February on Hawaii's (The Big Island) wet side, so I'm looking for something that:

A. Shed's water

B. Ain't too steamy hot on the inside

C. Doesn't cost a fortune. (although I might consider spending a fortune after today's adventure in the rain)...

Thanks,

This is what I use for my PCT hiking where weight and volume is almost everything.
Outdoor Research Helium II jacket
ULA rain kilt

Keeps you dry and are light weight. Also not too steamy. The kilt really helps with that.

Muir

For golfing it's also important that any rain gear allow full unrestricted movement. I would suggest going to a well equipped golf store (like PGA Tour Superstore) and take a look at what they offer. The good stuff can be pricey but they often have sales.

Who has recommendations for lightweight raingear. I play golf (sometimes in the rain) and fish (sometimes in the rain). Also, planning on spending the first two weeks in February on Hawaii's (The Big Island) wet side, so I'm looking for something that:

A. Shed's water

B. Ain't too steamy hot on the inside

C. Doesn't cost a fortune. (although I might consider spending a fortune after today's adventure in the rain)...

Thanks,

Frog Toggs
Mens Rain Suits | All Weather Suits | frogg toggs

Best Rain Jackets of 2017 | Switchback Travel has a good review of some jackets I'd recommend, with some specifics on the pros and cons. The Helium II is one on my list.

I've got the Marmot Precip and like it. It's a little crinkly, and might seem at first that it's too stiff for golf, but I think it'd be ok. If you get this, make sure it's got the NanoPro waterproofing. If it doesn't say NanoPro, it's an older version that is much less breathable.

Patagonia Torrentshell is probably even more waterproof but just a bit heavier and maybe less breathable than the Precip. I hear it keeps you very dry. If you want something very light and packable, but with limited rain protection, look at the Patagonia Houdini. No doubt you could golf in it, but it wouldn't handle a harder rain. I've got this jacket as well, but more as a "just in case" jacket against a rain or wind that's very easy to carry in a small pack.

+1 for the Marmot Precip. I've had it for a few years now and it goes on every hike with me even though I use it only rarely. But when I need it, it keeps me dry. Affordable too - look at REI or Seirra Trading Post for good deals on it.

+1 for the Marmot Precip. ........
+2 on Precip. Mine is about 10 years old and the lining is starting to flake off on the hood, but it has given much good use, though never on a golf course.

+3 on the Helium II. We keep them tucked to the side of our backpacks (along with helium pants); take up no space, weigh next to nothing, and work.

Depending upon your pain point, may fail your last criterion. I thought they were outrageously priced, but then as we bought more tech gear, they became "normal."

REI usually has great stuff, but you can often find something even better at a well stocked running store.

Growing up in Hawaii, I didn't even own a raincoat or rain jacket. Like all the other teenagers at school, I used one of those Japanese bamboo umbrellas that were available everywhere for less than a buck. We had plenty of rain but it seldom lasted for very long. I guess this is the modern version of the type of umbrella I used back in the Dark Ages:

https://www.amazon.com/JapanBargain-Oriental-Parasol-32-Inches-Red/dp/B004LL9MO4

Here in New Orleans, tropical weather often means too much wind to carry an umbrella. So, I went to Cabela's and bought one of their store-brand rain jackets that looks kind of similar to, but not identical with this one.

It's a great lightweight jacket, and has lots of mesh down the front to keep it away from your body and make it even more breathable. Mine is Gore-Tex and to me this one is perfect. I think it cost about $40-$50 on sale fifteen years ago.

One time I thought I had lost it, and ordered this (much more expensive) Columbia rain jacket. Do not buy this one! By the time it arrived, I had found my Cabela's jacket and I *SO* much prefer it because it is much, much more breathable and comfortable. I have only worn the expensive one once and felt relatively hot and wet and miserable in it. It sits in my closet, awaiting the day my Cabela's jacket gets lost again.

So, my suggestion is to at least try on whatever rain gear you plan to buy.

Last edited:
Marmot precip for me as well. I just had to replace my 10+ year old jacket as the lining flaked off. Lots of zippers and easy in/out

Back
Top Bottom