Lightweight travel compromises

Compression bags and security?

Great thread, I’ll be heading off on a trip soon and plan to do carry-on-only for the first time.
I’m curious about the compression bags. My concern is what happens at security if they decide to open your bag and then also open the compression bags? Do you just end up re-rolling them all successfully? I worry that everything will get expanded and hard to repack.
Happy trails!

Great thread, I’ll be heading off on a trip soon and plan to do carry-on-only for the first time.
I’m curious about the compression bags. My concern is what happens at security if they decide to open your bag and then also open the compression bags? Do you just end up re-rolling them all successfully? I worry that everything will get expanded and hard to repack.
Happy trails!

The compression is just Velcro.

On our last pre covid trip in Greece/Cyprus we did five flights on Olympic/Aegean. Bags were never weighed. We were within limits though.

Not all airlines bother with it.

When we were in Greece, they regularly weighed and measured people’s carry-ons. Hence we didn’t want to take the risk of being overweight in Australia. I cannot pack everything I need in a 7.5 kg carry-on.

I have had the expanse two wheel int. carry on for 12 years. It has been all over Europe, Asia, South/Central America/ and Australia. It is still like new. Spinners are not good for where and how we travel. I find the 2 in line wheels to be very good.

DW liked mine so much she bought on 8 years or so ago. Like, mine, her bag is in like new condition.

We also love Eagle Creek. We have several bags of theirs that are 10-15 years old and have lots of mileage on them. They used to have a lifetime “no matter what” guarantee but they changed ownership a few years ago and I’m not sure if the quality and the guarantee are still what they used to be.

Happy trails!

I seriously doubt they would open compression bags with clothing only. The X ray machine would not detect anything unusual. Usually they want to open things that look like they could be dangerous. I’ve traveled globally with compression bags for years and not once has anyone wanted them opened.

We plan to stay somewhere with a washer dryer every week. We plan on layering if it is cool or cold and avoid things that don’t compress or are heavy. So a mid weight down jacket over a hoodie sweatshirt where the down jacket compresses down to nothing is key. Vacuum bag or roll up bags get rid of the air to help compress things.

Travel sized toiletries weigh less and take up less space or we buy them when we arrive. We often travel for multiple weeks with just a carryon spinner bag each to avoid checking bags. Was weird at first but we got used to it and it is great actually.

Compression bags

Good to know thanks!

I seriously doubt they would open compression bags with clothing only. The X ray machine would not detect anything unusual. Usually they want to open things that look like they could be dangerous. I’ve traveled globally with compression bags for years and not once has anyone wanted them opened.

I have had the expanse two wheel int. carry on for 12 years. It has been all over Europe, Asia, South/Central America/ and Australia. It is still like new. Spinners are not good for where and how we travel. I find the 2 in line wheels to be very good.

DW liked mine so much she bought on 8 years or so ago. Like, mine, her bag is in like new condition.

Completely agree on preferring 2 wheels to spinners. You get a tad more interior room. They roll better over uneven surfaces.

I read an article that flight attendants were getting shoulder and elbow injuries from the way you have spinners to the side, vs pulling behind you.

Our biggest "travel lite" issues is the actual discretion of what "Lite" is. I pack less for a week long trip than the DW packs for a weekend. We have done a few weekend bike trips, and still have to fuss at the DW to leave stuff behind. On our 1st bike trip many years ago, she had a bathroom bag that even included a hairdrier that was larger than my bag of everything I was bringing.

What is the old saying about preparing for a trip? Lay out your clothes and money. Then remove half the clothes, but double the money.

Our biggest "travel lite" issues is the actual discretion of what "Lite" is. I pack less for a week long trip than the DW packs for a weekend. We have done a few weekend bike trips, and still have to fuss at the DW to leave stuff behind. On our 1st bike trip many years ago, she had a bathroom bag that even included a hairdrier that was larger than my bag of everything I was bringing.

It was all over once we bought our carry on rollers. And the luggage scale.

That was size limit. Forced us at first to make smart choices. It was a challenge at first. I used to take a small backpack as a personal item. I do not even do that now. I typically have a little extra room for DW to use.

When we go for two months I still have a little room/weight in my bag for DW to use. Leaving for 3 weeks in Zihuatanego later this week. My roller will be half full. DW is already has her eye on this unused capacity!

What has helped over many extended trips is unpacking when we get home. We take note of anything that we either did not use or did not wear enough. The item gets punted on the next trip and gets replaced by something with more travel utility. DW changed her hair style etc to make travel easier. The 100ml rule in many airports means that we take very few personal care items.

Last edited:
What is the old saying about preparing for a trip? Lay out your clothes and money. Then remove half the clothes, but double the money.

Rick Steves has a suggestion for newbies at packing light. Pack your suitcase. Then spend an hour or two hauling it around the downtown area of a fairly big city. Lift it over curbs and other obstacles. Pull it a block or two up hill. Carry it up a few flights of stairs. Stash it in an overhead bin. If you can't manage without difficulty, it's too heavy.

I spent three weeks in central Europe with just a carry on luggage bag and a smaller tote type of bag that I could secure to the handle of the luggage bag. It worked. Also, even on road trips when I have plenty of space in the car, I find I would rather carry two smaller bags in two trips up to a second or third floor room than one larger bag once up the stairs.

Years ago my son and I met a retired retired banker and his wife in a laundromat in Florence, Italy. They had been travelling by rail for two months
and had just bought another 1 month pass.

They were doing carry on only. Why? They decided to do a 'test' trip. They told us they packed what they planned to take on their extended trip. Then took Amtrak from their home in Seattle down to LA and back. Stopping at various places.

They said that test trip convinced them to go carry on only and after two months of travel they were so glad that they did.

Our goal was to always be independent and to be able to physically handle what we pack. And it has become a necessity based on how/where we travel and our aging bodies.

Last edited:

They were doing carry on only. Why? They decided to do a 'test' trip. …after two months of travel they were so glad that they did.

I have done many types of traveling, such as by bicycle or mountaineering or going snorkeling that all require specialized equipment. I forget that more conventional touring doesn’t require much specialization. You need shoes to walk and something for the rain or the weather. Guess what? Unless you’re in the wilderness, every place you go will sell clothing and gear appropriate for the locality.

Last edited:
.... DW changed her hair style etc to make travel easier. The 100ml rule in many airports means that we take very few personal care items.

Yep. DW had permed hair for 25 years. Retirement meant a pixie cut. Just like our clothing, wash and drip dry--and no need for hair products. Plus, on long trips, no worries about whether the local haircutting outlet can properly deal with her hair.

I have really gotten into traveling lighter & lighter

I will have traveled nearly 20 weeks in a year since retiring.

Usually fly SWA so I don't have to worry about it.
But in Sept cruised AK & had to fly other lines & didn't want to pay for bags.
It became a challenge.
The biggest epiphany was how FREEING it was to have so much less stuff to unpack/pack & just DEAL with.

I take a crossbody purse that fits in my backpack plus a carry on suitcase.
I have a travel capsule wardrobe that is lightweight, doesn't wrinkle & will dry quickly when I hand wash.
Every top goes with every bottom.
Merino wool is an exceptional travel fabric--cool in hot climates, warm in cool climates, and most importantly detracts smells so it can easily be worn multiple wearings.
Shoes depend on needs--typically sneakers, dress shoes & usually another pair.
Wear heaviest clothes & layers on plane.
I used compression packing cubes as well.
I have a travel kit of toiletries always ready to go.
I ONLY take what I NEED.

I follow Travel Fashion Girl--she has a You Tube Channel, blog & Facebook page. Her mission is carry on only travel.

Last edited:
It depends

Cocheesehead, does the compression sleeve make your clothes wrinkled? When I travel for 6 days I can pack in a carry on. When I go to Europe for 11 days I have a small suitcase and a carry on. I go on a tour so can’t do laundry. It does sound appealing to only have a carry on.

I use regular packing cubes if I am checking & have found that some clothing DOES NOT WRINKLE no matter what.
Guess what?
THOSE are the items that make the travel wardrobe cut EVERY time.
It can be surprising; trial & error has taught me what to take.

YES

Has anybody tried any of those expensive merino wool t-shirts and such, that supposedly don't need to be washed for weeks, and still never smell?

Now, I don't think I could wear them continually for weeks...that might give me the creeps.
BUT it is AMAZING how they do NOT smell after several wearings.
AND they DO NOT wrinkle.
And they are cool in summer & warm in winter--they are AMAZING!

I cannot comment on Viking

I recall, Carnival, Celebrity, Viking Ocean, all had ironing boards in the laundry rooms.

I've never used them as I'm more wrinkly than my clothes :LOL:

But Celebrity does NOT have laundry rooms.
Carnival & Princess do.

I have a month in Europe in May solo

Mostly cruising, but I will be taking a train from Amsterdam to Hamburg.

I bought a 21" Travel Pro Maxlite 5.
I have an Away carry on that I love that fits Tap Portugal dimensions...but I packed both suitcases with my capsule wardrobe & that extra couple pounds the Away weighs felt like a TON.

Since I will be hoisting that baby in an overhead bin on plane/train, possibly up stairs or cobblestones, that weight difference was worth it. (luckily grabbed that Travelpro on a deal)

I will wear Sorel Waterproof boots & bring Vessi waterproof sneakers plus a pair of flats for dinners on the cruise. Probably buy some cheap flip flops to wear with my suit for hot tubbing in that cool weather.

I've learned to research trip accommodations before DW starts packing. Sometimes it makes sense to pack a few small bags as opposed to 1 large bag.

Staying on the top floor of this place for a few days, it would have been easier to just take the essentials in and leave non-essentials in the trunk the car. Or haul up 3 bags in separate trips as opposed to 1 large bag.

Now I know.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-25 at 11.10.14 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-25 at 11.10.14 PM.jpg
    683.8 KB · Views: 33
In the spirit of LBM when I travel I use gallon size freezer zip lock bags for the smaller clothes items like they were compression bags. Most things other than pants or shoes usually fit in them. Then I tighten a couple of lightweight nylon straps around the carry-on bag to shrink its size to further insure it complies with the airline standards. My daypack also has a number of attachment points and compression straps it I need them. Never had a problem. I even carry on a couple of collapsible walking sticks that I use to help me with a weak leg.

Cheers!

Ah! I was thinking of the plastic ones you push all the air out of. Either way, it seems experienced users have not had a problem. Thanks!

Yes, no problem. The Eagle Creek ones are zippered, not Velcro, and ours have held up beautifully after years of use.

Back
Top Bottom