Living in Texas or New Mexico

Austin is cheap weird, Boulder is expensive weird. 8)

Eagle43 said:
Gonna be a great final: Detroit v.s. San Antonio.  Talk about a clash of cultures.

Yep! I lived /worked in Detroit for years. Also Texas!
Clash of cultures is spot on.

JG

Eagle43 said:
Gonna be a great final: Detroit v.s. San Antonio.  Talk about a clash of cultures.

Miami-San Antonio will be a pretty interesting bb match up as well.  But not quite the culture clash
                    San Antonio                Miami                Detroit
Sun                Sunny                       Sunny               Cloudy
Ecomony         Good?                      Good               No jobs
Rep/Dem         Red                          Red                  Blue   
Weapons        Legal carry               Legal carry       All carry
Shoot             Snakes                     If it moves       Yes

Oh, we'll have to see what happens next game in the east.

uncledrz said:
Miami-San Antonio will be a pretty interesting bb match up as well. But not quite the culture clash
San Antonio Miami Detroit
Sun Sunny Sunny Cloudy
Ecomony Good? Good No jobs
Rep/Dem Red Red Blue
Weapons Legal carry Legal carry All carry
Shoot Snakes If it moves Yes

Oh, we'll have to see what happens next game in the east.
That's a funny post; good one. And I was premature, ejecting Miami out before they actually lost. But Detroit's gotta get into the finals, giving us a red/blue state matchup.

vic said:
Don't you live in Texas too?

Yes

vic said:
What is all the bitching about?

Not bitching, just stating facts.

vic said:
(Maybe another JG strategy to keep people out of here)

Vicky, are you suggesting a conspiracy? (Remember, you're not paraniod if they are really out to get you.) Acutally, I'm simply encouraging those interested in TX to consider Austin, the true-blue heart of the state... ;)

REW

Dagnabit REW, LEX, BestStash,   Don't be misleading the good folks who Google to this site by withholding all the terrible parts of present day live in Austin.

The road rage factor in an unsolvable traffic nightmare is bad enough let alone the taxes, fees, heat, multitudes trying to attend any public event, etc. etc.

You are doing them a disservice by not describing the cool, cheap acreage, of the piney woods in counties EAST of Austin.

If you are confused about the true nature of Ausin read my posts in the archived old forums.

Austin is an abomination to the rest of the state. For sure.

Charlie, If you believe the Texas legislature will reduce property taxes by 1/3 and counties and school districts will not find a whay to raise your tax burden above what it is now, then I have some great treasure maps I can sell you that I will guarentee you an early retirement.

If anyone is interested in looking for land east or southeast of Austin, check out the following site:

http://www.trrn.com/

Fayette county is very popular and less expensive than
Bastrop county.  

DEW

Ol_Rancher said:
Dagnabit REW, LEX, BestStash,   Don't be misleading the good folks who Google to this site by withholding all the terrible parts of present day live in Austin.

The road rage factor in an unsolvable traffic nightmare is bad enough let alone the taxes, fees, heat, multitudes trying to attend any public event, etc. etc.

You are doing them a disservice by not describing the cool, cheap acreage, of the piney woods in counties EAST of Austin.

If you are confused about the true nature of Ausin read my posts in the archived old forums.

Austin is an abomination to the rest of the state. For sure.

"abomination" is spot on. but Ol_Rancher, goldang!!!............don't tell folks about the "piney woods" . Non Texans don't know about that. Please talk up the snakes, fire ants, guns and rednecks. Otherwise, you may see an influx of
yankees and you just know some are liberals. Before you know it we won't
be able to confine them to Austin. Do you want another grotesque
wart on the nose of an otherwise beautiful woman? One Austin is more than enough for any state.

JG

Ol_Rancher said:

I live in the cool, cheap acreage, piney woods in a county EAST of Austin (Bastrop) - and I do NOT llike it.

Yes, cheap living. Gorgeouse neighborhood. Lots of trees, beautiful piney wood areas including my own backyard, very lush. But I don't like the redneck environment. If I need milk, it is a 20 minute roundtrip. If I want to go out and eat something else than McDonalds or BBQ, it is still a 1.5 hour round trip. I think it is great if you are really into the country lifestyle, but not for me.

Nice brick 3/2/2 FSBO around the corner, asking 95K on one acre- appraised at 125K+. Lady died, daughter wants to sell it asap without realtor. Or... you can buy mine once we have moved to AUSTIN.

Vicky

Ol-rancher, it appears to be a moot point now as the legislature
ran out the clock on this session. As for reducing property taxes
by 1/3 it was really more like 20-25%. Anyway, raising the sales
tax was supposed to make up the difference. You are probably
right that the munies would find a way to stick it to us somehow.

Cheers,

Charlie

Whether its Texas or anywhere else, the general trend is that the more rural the property, distant from a major city, the less exensive it is per acre. So is all this rural land really a bargain? I have, over the years owned working ranches in Texas, rental properties in Colorado, and a small gravel pit along with @450 acres in Wyoming. Anyone reading this board can buy land in places out in the sticks for cheap. Utah, Wyoming are examples out west. Kentucky and Mississipi back east, for under five hundred an acre. But people like to socialize. Living like a rural hermit is a whole challenge unto itself. I have lived out in the vast spaces of the west, where a three hour drive to "get into town" is not unusual. As to rural land, you'll end up paying for the location based bargain at the gas pump trying to get somewhere to keep things running back on the home place... 8)

LEX said:
Whether its Texas or anywhere else, the general trend is that the more rural the property, distant from a major city, the less exensive it is per acre.  So is all this rural land really a bargain? I have, over the years owned working ranches in Texas,  rental properties in Colorado, and a small gravel pit along with @450 acres in Wyoming. Anyone reading this board can buy land in places out in the sticks for cheap. Utah, Wyoming are examples out west. Kentucky and Mississipi back east, for under five hundred an acre.  But people like to socialize.  Living like a rural hermit is a whole challenge unto itself.  I have lived out in the vast spaces of the west, where a three hour drive to "get into town" is not unusual.  As to rural land, you'll end up paying for the location based bargain at the gas pump trying to get somewhere to keep things running back on the home place... 8)

Another advantage we have, i.e. you can not get too far out to suit us. Thus,
the land we would sit on would always be cheap (relative to other places). As to the
cost of getting to the city or places to buy stuff, we don't want no stiiiiiiiiinking
"stuff" anyway, so such trips can be minimized. Keeping it simple and keeping
it rural makes it pretty easy. We not only don't care about "getting into town",
we actually avoid it. Take Chicago (please) our nearest big city. Have not set foot
there in 20 years and have no intention of ever going there again. Towns with
one convenience/grocery store, one hardware store, and one or two cafes and maybe a bar are exempt.
Those we will visit without complaint. Anything larger is avoided whenever possible :)

JG

For those who WOULD like to visit Chicago (and for us Lincoln fans interested in the new Library / Museum in Springfield), any tips on the weather from those of you who live up there?

Is October too late to enjoy these two cities or even, in pursuit of LBYM, to rough it at a nearby campground?

I've got AVERAGE temp and rainfall from Yahoo, but first-hand experience would really add a lot.

Many Thanks,
Caroline

FWIW, I am a temporary resident in South Texas...finishing off a 3 year expat assignment.  Thought TX was a pretty nice place to live and potentially a place to spend winter months (in Corpus Christi area) but becoming more and more disenchanted as it leans more and more to the right. 

Too much religious right fundamentalism rearing its head, the recent Austin attempt to re-distribute tax revenues from property owners to consumers is another right wing plot, and gun toting is becoming hazardous to one's health.  Hopefully it is only a matter of time before the latino population and/or the Dems take over again and make this state a more humane place to live.

However, if all what is happening suits one's personality, then I would vote for Corpus Christi area if you are into water things (the first true blue water you can get consistently along texas coast), the hill country area west of Austin (despite climbing prices and urbanization), or the area just north of Conroe along I45 (just far enough from Houston - but gorgeous geography). 

DW and I just might do the Corpus Christi thing for 2-3 winter months each year once we retire.

Corpus is a real gem. There are still good deals to be had close to the water, and decent folks. If I had to return to Texas (I am a native living in splendid exile in Arizona) corpus would be my locale of choice.

Check it out:

http://www.corpuschristi-tx-cvb.org/

LEX said:
Corpus is a real gem.  There are still good deals to be had close to the water, and decent folks.  If I had to return to Texas (I am a native living in splendid exile in Arizona) corpus would be my locale of choice.

Check it out:

http://www.corpuschristi-tx-cvb.org/

Hey hey hey........we are trying to keep people out and you are giving them glowing reports and a link to more? Arrrrrgh!

JG

The following is a public service announcement from the "Texas for Texans" foundation:

"Attention Sportsmen: Please be sure, when salt water fishing in the Laguna Madre south of Corpus Christi for trophy Redfish to apply adequate amounts of mosquito repellant". 8)

MRGALT2U said:
Hey hey hey........we are trying to keep people out and you are giving them glowing reports and a link to more? Arrrrrgh!

"we", I suspect Texans proably see you as an Illinois' interloper. :D

Everyone in Texas tries to be an interloper...or is it antelope roper, I forget....well anyway, ya'll I gotta go now and count my cattle. Wheres Ma Hayet....darn...

WARNING!! SENSITIVE MATERIAL!! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!

There are three kinds of people in Texas: fruit-pickers, picnic-ers, and d*** lickers; and I notice you don't have a basket...

I have been called a hockey puck..........

Get fudge:confused: What's wrong with violins on TV:confused:

Hockey Puck?? - isn't a Texas dance they used to do at Gilley's:confused: or some other tourist trap of similar persuasion?

Didn't get to TX in time for the full Urban Cowboy thing, or Gilley's, though there's urban cowboys aplenty in DFW.

Female friend of mine, ex-GI, and a REAL cowgal (not sure if she's an orker), called them "all hat 'n' no horse". :)

Speaking of Tx, stole this line from an Austin Lounge Lizards song:

"Most cities got soul, but Dallas must have been at the bank when they passed it around"........

Back
Top Bottom