Living the dream at The Bunny Ranch...

rmcelwee

Recycles dryer sheets
Several people have asked me to start a thread on our retirement property. I call it The Bunny Ranch but my wife, Bunny, hates the name. We will probably end up call it The Lazy B Ranch (Bob and Bunny). I wanted to wait a while before I started the thread because even though we have owned it for eight months we are just now getting ready to live there. I'll start off slow at the beginning of the story and stretch it out a bit. So, without further ado...

We had been talking about buying a retirement home in Tennessee for probably 25 years. Here I am talking to my grandfather (95 years old at the time) in 2009 about our dream:

Might as well throw in a picture of the property we purchased. The red squares are an acre each (31 acres total - about half has been cleared):

Attachments

• acre map.jpg
    acre map.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 199
I think your wife is right about the name. When I read the thread title I guessed this was going to be a risque discussion about moving to a Nevada brothel.

I agree. The Bunny Ranch suggests activities that I don’t believe are your intentions for the property.

Your wife is right, rename, and let her pick it.

I've been following along, Bob. Congrats again on getting done with work and started with play.

Bunny Ranch already exists, and it's full of working girls, not retirees.

Great, just great, now I have this image of the Bunny Ranch with a bunch of retiree working girls

Perhaps you should seek suggestions for the name of your place. We call ours "Oleo Acres". It's one of the cheaper spreads.

Great, just great, now I have this image of the Bunny Ranch with a bunch of retiree working girls

That is too funny!

OP--congratulations on your new place. I look forward to seeing/reading more about your new life.

Perhaps you should seek suggestions for the name of your place. We call ours "Oleo Acres". It's one of the cheaper spreads.
That is a type of aircraft suspension too. I went to Wikipedia for a reference just now, and the picture is of my aircraft model landing gear, LOL!
800px-Oleo_torque_link_main_landing_gear.JPG

I think I'll locate an old growth or second growth cedar stump and slice off a chunk for our sign. I want to call our place "springboard notch".

Last edited:
Welcome to Tennessee! Beautiful country here. I became a transplant a little less than two years ago due to a family emergency. I have kind of fallen in love with the mid-south, but my wife insists on moving back to Arizona when our obligation here is complete.

Welcome to the patron state of shooting things. We’ve been here for a couple years. The living is good and the grass grows and grows and grows.

Well the conversation might still revolve around withdrawal rates.:D

Ill let you call it the bunny ranch if you will let me ship you all those bunnies on my property who are eating my garden to death!

This was our first trip up to the property in October after buying it. It is a seven hour drive for us.

Since that video was taken they have destroyed my pretty "driveway". I now have a gravel driveway and the required 20 feet access on all sides of electric poles. That means a 40 foot path has been cut through the trees.

Attachments

• 20220509_134254.jpg
    20220509_134254.jpg
    763.9 KB · Views: 63
Welcome to Tennessee! Beautiful country here. I became a transplant a little less than two years ago due to a family emergency. I have kind of fallen in love with the mid-south, but my wife insists on moving back to Arizona when our obligation here is complete.

Just out of curiosity, is your wife’s desire to move back to AZ because of personal connections, weather, scenery, or ??

This was our first trip up to the property in October after buying it. It is a seven hour drive for us.

Since that video was taken they have destroyed my pretty "driveway". I now have a gravel driveway and the required 20 feet access on all sides of electric poles. That means a 40 foot path has been cut through the trees.

Electric poles! I would have installed my own solar farm.

Electric poles! I would have installed my own solar farm.

The poles are only so we can get there and get established. I will build solar panels, wind mills and a gasifier. We have plenty of sun, wind, and trees to make electricity.

Last edited:
We briefly ended up with a total of 5 felines and I had one of those signs made up that said "Mrs. Ko'olau's Cat House." Fortunately, she was amused by it and placed it prominently at the entry way. YMMV

A super short video taken in March before the little house (single wide trailer) went in. You can see the footers for the trailer at the end. Everything was dead but it is amazing how fast it grows back. My cheap drone gets blown around by the wind that is always present up there.

^^^^^^^^

Yeah, too bad about winter. I bet it looks green in the spring/summer. Very nice.

Back
Top Bottom