Long (I mean really long) time reader, first time poster

bigreader

Recycles dryer sheets
I have been following this site for a long, long time and have had the benefit of the great advice of those of you who have posted here. I retired five years ago, at 57, live in a HCOL city and am married and the parent of two college kids.

This board has been a great resource as I passed through the "ages and stages" of early retirement. Like many of you, I went from "Do I really have enough money to retire" and through "what could possibly keep me busy if I am not working?" I finally came to the decision to jump ship and figure it out. For me, it was scary but undoubtedly the right thing to do.

After five years, I worry less about finances, and more about continuously reinventing my retirement, as many of you have. By way of further introduction, I should say that I am avid reader of the what have you read/watched threads but I don't know what age you should begin taking social security!

BR

I look forward to hearing more about your experiences in early retirement. I too have retired this year and turned 57. My nervousness about finances have calmed, and now I look outward and consider meaningful experiences. What messages would you like to impart on those dipping their toes in the water?

After five years, I worry less about finances, and more about continuously reinventing my retirement, as many of you have. By way of further introduction, I should say that I am avid reader of the what have you read/watched threads but I don't know what age you should begin taking social security!
You are only half way to the SS decision point. You will figure it out. You have no choice. :)

Welcome bigreader,

Thanks for posting about your journey and the SS question will answer itself in time. Remember, you can apply at any time after 62. You will know when the time is right, or how long to wait.

Best to you,

VW

I look forward to hearing more about your experiences in early retirement. I too have retired this year and turned 57. My nervousness about finances have calmed, and now I look outward and consider meaningful experiences. What messages would you like to impart on those dipping their toes in the water?

My kids were still in high school and living at home when I retired, so a lot of my initial retirement experiences were built-in and often not all that much fun. Teenagers!

When I first retired, a buddy suggested that I try try doing things that I never did while on the work/parenting treadmill but that I might find fun. My friend also suggested that since this wasn't a job, I could stop any activity at any time and for any reason.

I started to study a foreign language at community college, and that really stuck. I still attend classes, although no longer at community college. I liked the structure of the schedule, the challenge and the students of all ages. Now that the kids are in college, I travel often for language immersion. I am no athlete, but I started to take Pilates and it has stuck. On the other hand, I failed at volunteering (twice) and am an inconsistent gardener. Now, I am learning Photoshop and trying to revive my interest in photography but who knows?

So my advice is to try new things that might seem like fun and then give yourself permission not to like them! Some things will stick, some will fall away but it is all good.

br

So my advice is to try new things that might seem like fun and then give yourself permission not to like them! Some things will stick, some will fall away but it is all good.

Good advice!

But I find it odd to "fail" at volunteering. There are so many things you can do as a volunteer. If putting away books at the library or bringing food to shut-ins doesn't float your boat, and braving primitive post-storm conditions for FEMA or jumping from helicopters to fight fires isn't your thing, there's a whole spectrum of organizations in between.

Sometimes, volunteering is a way to do something you couldn't otherwise do. There are web sites which list volunteer "jobs" available in your area, in just about every field. Some are highly structured, some can be done at your convenience.

And sometimes, just doing things you enjoy, you get roped into volunteer positions. This is what usually happens to me.

I too retired early (age 58) ten years ago. It's hard to believe time has passed so fast. I started off volunteering on our church's building projects--building homes for tornado victims and a house at our church camp. Like so many retirees, I spend too much time watching television and reading online.

Certain times of the day are spent driving our 7 year old granddaughter to and from her private school every day as we have full custody of her. We had never thought that we'd be dealing with raising another child, especially in our retirement. But we do what we have to do and I cherish my time spent with her.

At 68 years old, I still move like a young man and am holding my own physically. I am in the process of building a large boat barn at my lake house, however it is going to be my last project of any kind. I am going into a defensive mode protecting my health for the long term. Other than cutting grass and painting a room, there will be no more heavy lifting or physically demand activities that I can hurt myself on.

Back
Top Bottom