Looked at condos yesterday

I have owned 3 condos over a total of 10 years total and none needed special assessments. I am on the board now and we have large reserves. Plus you can carry loss assessment rider on your homeowners insurance and it’s really cheap. This covers special assessments up to the amount you choose and are willing to pay for. We hung up a notice in the lobby letting everyone know about this. I think I am paying 50/year for the rider. Our 2 buildings are 45 years old so better safe than sorry.

It always amazes me how many people, of experienced years, manage to convince themselves that a condo building somehow needs less maintenance and repairs than any other dwelling of the same type, location, etc. And therefore, they resent any effort to collect money to pay for those things.

We've never had an assessment as virtually anything that can (and will) go wrong has a sinking fund. So, we paint the building every so many years. It's covered. The elevator had to be replaced after how many years - It was covered by a fund. Spalling w*rk had to be done - it was covered. On and on. It's expensive and it has to be done. We call it a part of the price of Paradise.

It always amazes me how many people, of experienced years, manage to convince themselves that a condo building somehow needs less maintenance and repairs than any other dwelling of the same type, location, etc. And therefore, they resent any effort to collect money to pay for those things.

You are absolutely correct!! It’s just a giant house:)). Our commerce boiler for hot water died and we had to buy a gently used one for 40k. It took 16 days to find and arrive. A new one was 75k and going to take a month to arrive. It wasn’t fun not having hot water.

The back building is on borrowed time for theirs. Both our heat and AC are boiler systems. The reserve study is so important because these types of things are identified and the money put in reserves.

I think a lot of home owners defer maintenance and somehow think they are saving money. Of course, in many cases, they're making a small, manageable issue a big, harry issue with much higher cost in the long run. A well run HOA sees to it that maintenance is done by a schedule (or special need) and not left to chance.

Having said that, there is a condo building in our general neighborhood which delayed spalling repair. They eventually had to have a million dollar assessment to the owners. I don't know how that w*rked out per owner, but guessing it was on the order of $10K or $15K. Not what you want to wake up to.

I've lived in several HOA communities for about 26 years. Never had a special assessment, not has one even been considered. If the board knows how to handle long term budgeting there should never be a need for a special assessment. I know not every board knows how to budget.

Ultimately the board is beholden to the owners.

Here we do special assessments because the owners want the regular, monthly HOA fee to remain as low as possible.

Most are elderly & on fixed incomes, having moved into our townhouse development after selling their SFR once the kids left home.

So our last re-roofing was done via special assessment.

But with multiple buildings where only one needed to be done at a time we were able to offer the owners the option of paying just $100/month for 5 years instead of coming up with a lump sum.

Most residents here will be DEAD before the next re-roofing, so it makes sense that they don't want to pay extra monthly when it would only benefit the next owner.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what happens in a HOA if someone decides not to pay the dues or special assessment? I know during COVID that a lot of renters stopped paying rent because of the eviction ban. Is it a problem for the rest of the owners or are HOAs usually large enough they could absorb someone not paying for an extended time?

Out of curiosity, what happens in a HOA if someone decides not to pay the dues or special assessment? I know during COVID that a lot of renters stopped paying rent because of the eviction ban. Is it a problem for the rest of the owners or are HOAs usually large enough they could absorb someone not paying for an extended time?

In my experience as a board member the HOA is stuck with it.

Best they can do in practical terms is to place a lien that would have to be satisfied on sale of the unit.

Technically they can foreclose but any HOA lien is junior to the first mortgage, so the HOA's lien would normally be wiped out in foreclosure.

I.e. if they're not paying the HOA they're probably not paying the mortgage either so there would not be enough equity to satisfy even the first mortgage, much less the HOA's lien...can't get blood from a stone.

We have entered into payment plans with owners who lost their jobs and it took years for them to pay back unpaid HOA dues.

As part of those deals we waived any late fees and/or interest.

Last edited:
Here we do special assessments because the owners want the regular, monthly HOA fee to remain as low as possible.

Most are elderly & on fixed incomes, having moved into our townhouse development after selling their SFR once the kids left home.

Most residents here will be DEAD before the next re-roofing, so it makes sense that they don't want to pay extra monthly when it would only benefit the next owner

Liens and foreclosure are usually the two available options when a homeowner is delinquent. In my experience, once foreclosure proceedings begin, the delinquent homeowner almost always pays up pretty quickly.

There may be a limit on how much the HOA can collect in a foreclosure. In Florida, this limit is about one year's worth of assessments.

Every Homeowners Association and Condominium Association should put enough money into reserves annually to pay for their major infrequent expenses as they arise. These include projects such as paving, new roofs, exterior painting, replacing sidewalks, clubhouse furnishings and equipment, and fence replacements. Special assessments and bank loans are less desirable ways to pay for these expenses for several reasons.

1. Not every homeowner can easily write a check, or be willing to write a check, to cover a large special assessment when the funds are needed.

2. Former residents will not have paid their fair share of long-range expenses. They won’t have contributed their fair shares to these expenses while they lived in the community as the assets were deteriorating.

3. Newer residents will be unfairly burdened by paying for items that have deteriorated over time before they moved in.

4. In most cases, there is no mechanism to alert potential new residents that a special assessment or loan may be needed by the Association.

5. It’s better to allocate funds to reserves as evenly as possible over the years to simplify the budgeting for residents and for the Association.

Some associations use loans instead of special assessments. This may ease the cash flows for residents, but loans also incur additional costs for loan processing and interest payments. And a bank may restrict Association operations until the loan is repaid.

As an illustration, when 10% of the useful life of your roads remains you should already have 90% of the repaving cost in your reserves. The same philosophy applies to every long-term maintenance item. Underfunded reserves cause underfunded budgets which misrepresent the true cost of living in that HOA.

Some Boards prefer to keep their assessments artificially low because they are concerned some residents cannot afford to pay higher assessments. If a resident cannot afford to pay the necessary assessments, that resident cannot afford to live in that community.

Special assessments or loans are sometimes needed when unexpected large expenses arise. But most long term maintenance expenses are guaranteed to occur and should rarely be a surprise when they arise.

If people don’t pay eventually they get sent to a collection firm that handles the process.

I don't know if it would be legal, but our building has an electric room which contains a shut off to each (or all) apartments. Heh, heh, "Pay up, or we shut off your electricity.":cool:

Liens and foreclosure are usually the two available options when a homeowner is delinquent. In my experience, once foreclosure proceedings begin, the delinquent homeowner almost always pays up pretty quickly.

There may be a limit on how much the HOA can collect in a foreclosure. In Florida, this limit is about one year's worth of assessments.

Every Homeowners Association and Condominium Association should put enough money into reserves annually to pay for their major infrequent expenses as they arise. These include projects such as paving, new roofs, exterior painting, replacing sidewalks, clubhouse furnishings and equipment, and fence replacements. Special assessments and bank loans are less desirable ways to pay for these expenses for several reasons.

1. Not every homeowner can easily write a check, or be willing to write a check, to cover a large special assessment when the funds are needed.

2. Former residents will not have paid their fair share of long-range expenses. They won’t have contributed their fair shares to these expenses while they lived in the community as the assets were deteriorating.

3. Newer residents will be unfairly burdened by paying for items that have deteriorated over time before they moved in.

4. In most cases, there is no mechanism to alert potential new residents that a special assessment or loan may be needed by the Association.

5. It’s better to allocate funds to reserves as evenly as possible over the years to simplify the budgeting for residents and for the Association.

Some associations use loans instead of special assessments. This may ease the cash flows for residents, but loans also incur additional costs for loan processing and interest payments. And a bank may restrict Association operations until the loan is repaid.

As an illustration, when 10% of the useful life of your roads remains you should already have 90% of the repaving cost in your reserves. The same philosophy applies to every long-term maintenance item. Underfunded reserves cause underfunded budgets which misrepresent the true cost of living in that HOA.

Some Boards prefer to keep their assessments artificially low because they are concerned some residents cannot afford to pay higher assessments. If a resident cannot afford to pay the necessary assessments, that resident cannot afford to live in that community.

Special assessments or loans are sometimes needed when unexpected large expenses arise. But most long term maintenance expenses are guaranteed to occur and should rarely be a surprise when they arise.

1. Foreclosures don't do jack for a HOA...the reality is if a unit undergoes foreclosure there's not enough equity to satisfy the first mortgage holder, much less any HOA lien...last owner who fell behind on regular monthly dues we extended repayment for three years, ultimately receiving all past dues, because that's the only realistic option we had to get any money out of them.

2. A former resident has zero legal obligation to any future owner. One can assert they have a moral obligation but that's just an opinion. I almost certainly won't be here when the next re-roofing is required & couldn't care less about what the next owner will pay.

3. You seem to assume we aren't also building reserves, which does happen every month via a portion of the monthly dues.

4. There's rarely a need for a lump sum or loan with special assessments.

E.g., since we were re-roofing only one building at a time owners had the option of paying $100/month over 5 years instead of a lump sum.

To be fair, all our buildings are stick-built, brick veneer, with asphalt shingles & vinyl siding.

So we don't have the significant maintenance issues seen with multi-story, concrete buildings with flat roofs & stucco siding.

Especially those close enough to the coast to be exposed to salt air.

Though, to be blunt, there's often no way to know the extent of the damage for those until it has already happened.

Last edited:
To be fair, all our buildings are stick-built, brick veneer, with asphalt shingles & vinyl siding.

So we don't have the significant maintenance issues seen with multi-story, concrete buildings with flat roofs & stucco siding.

Concrete buildings do have that issue with salt air eating the concrete. HOAs have to keep after it. BUT, one of our neighbor concrete buildings had a fire in an apartment while the occupants were away. It was up several floors. The fire was intense and flames exploded out of the front and back. Other than THAT unit, the building suffered soot staining. A frame building would probably not survive such a fire (no expert, but I'm guessing.)

1. Foreclosures don't do jack for a HOA...the reality is if a unit undergoes foreclosure there's not enough equity to satisfy the first mortgage holder, much less any HOA lien...last owner who fell behind on regular monthly dues we extended repayment for three years, ultimately receiving all past dues, because that's the only realistic option we had to get any money out of them.

2. A former resident has zero legal obligation to any future owner. One can assert they have a moral obligation but that's just an opinion. I almost certainly won't be here when the next re-roofing is required & couldn't care less about what the next owner will pay.

3. You seem to assume we aren't also building reserves, which does happen every month via a portion of the monthly dues.

1. Homeowners that fail to pay HOA assessments will not always have outstanding mortgages. Saying "foreclosues don't do jack for an HOA" is certainly true some of the time, and perhaps most of the time, but it is not true all of the time. I'm currently Treasurer for two HOAs. During my service we have foreclosed on several delinquent homeowners and EVERY time we have collected some of the debt. Only once have we been unable to collect all of the debt. My sample size is small but proves your statement is not true in all cases.

2. Completely agree that former owners have no legal obligation to current owners. Intentionally failing to adequately budget for predictable long-term expenses just means that current owners are saying "screw you" to those future owners. Some folks will be fine with this but it is the wrong way for an HOA to operate in the best interests of the HOA.

3. I've made no assumption that the HOA is not building reserves. If a special assessment is needed to pay for predictable long term expenses (paving, roofs, painting, and so on) then the amount being reserved is clearly inadequate. A properly conducted reserve study will indentify these issues.

I live in a condo HOA property. I agree that reserves should be studied and kept current to pay predictable big bills. I see it as the cost of the amenities. If we, the current owners, use up/wear out an amenity, we, the current owners, should pay to maintain/replace the amenity so whenever a new owner comes in they get everything in the same well-maintained working order we got it in. I don’t like the idea of assessments.

But some of my neighbors are in the other camp - they want big expenses paid out of assessments. We’ve tried to convince each other of the reasonableness of our respective positions on that, to no avail.

Back
Top Bottom