Looking for input re: Is this a fair price or ridiculous?

FWIW, I added up our last 12 months' bills and subtracted the August bill *12 as a base usage for hot water, clothes dryer and cooking. I got $298 annually for heating alone.

Just an FYI

Geothermal provides heating and cooling, so it is not just gas usage, it is also some electric. In addition, for a small charge, you can add hot water preheating to your geothermal. When you are using it in cooling mode, it takes heat out of the house and circulates it into your hot water heater.

With all of that said, the savings vs natural gas is often much less than the savings with an all electric house. Also, the heat from the registers is much warmer than from a heat pump...which is why we went geothermal for MIL in southern Ohio.

About five years ago, our neighbor, a widower, died in his home. His son came by once or twice after the death to, we believe, see if there was anything he wanted. We didn’t even know he had a son. Son didn’t want anything to do with the house and sold “as is.” And when I say “as is,” I mean exactly that. Everything was left in the house. Nothing was moved, discarded, cleaned, repaired or painted. I thought good luck with that!
Unbelievably, it didn’t take long for the house to sell because it was priced below market value in a desirable neighborhood. It was bought by a young couple who have a lot of energy. They spent weeks just clearing it out and then months repairing and painting. We were amazed.

My first house was bank repossession. Based on the price compared to market value I saved more money by cleaning and repairing it in the first couple months than I earned the entire year. And I saved interest every single month going forward due to a lower purchase price.

Back
Top Bottom