Looking for kitchen faucet buying advice

I was actually thinking I might take the garbage disposal out. Never use it anyway.
I took mine out.
Got a beautiful Braun sink that included very nice drains. The one drain has a deep basket to catch food scraps.
Damn disposals clog the drains. Not good.
Just an opinion.
Good luck. JP

We replaced our Moen kitchen faucet last week with a Delta Faucet. Costco has a $50 off special on this model until April 3

https://www.costco.com/delta-auburn...cet-and-soap-dispenser.product.100793991.html

Installation was extremely easy. It looks great and works well and matches all the other stainless steel appliances in our kitchen.

The Moen had a lifetime warranty but when it develops leaks, Moen sends you gaskets and seals that you need to change on your own that are internal to the unit. When we bought our home in 1996, all our faucets were Moen Monticello Series (brass and chrome). However replacement parts are becoming more difficult to locate as Moen has discontinued the particular series we have and now makes many of their products in China. The newer models look similar but they are light and flimsy and the parts are not compatible.

I like a nice tall faucet, a separate sprayer and a soap pump. Three holes, use them all - :)

I thought I'd like the built in soap pump, and had it done that way when we had granite counters installed in our previous home. Ended up hating it.

The cup that holds the soap is hidden, you don't know it's empty until it's empty. Then you try to pour in that thick liquid detergent, and you can't see how full it is, so you end up spilling soap all over.

I ended up marking an old PB plastic jar with the amount needed from empty to full, pouring the soap into that, and then filling the soap cup from that. Still a mess.

Now we have a soap dispenser on the counter. Translucent, so you know when to fill ahead of time. EZ-PZ.

Agree on the tall faucet though, that's nice (with spray head built in).

-ERD50

All my drain clog problems (not many, maybe 1 every 3 years) came from the previous double sink. The disposer was plumbed into a T from the other sink drain. Me thinks a lot of ground up stuff was pushed into the T and not the drain, leaving it to slow go when the other sink got water.

Now one big sink with one big disposer in it. That water get pumped down with vigor! Been in 4 years, no clogs.

Look around at faucets until you find one you like. Get the model # and go shopping online for the same thing. You'll save some $.

My last house had CPVC pipes. If you're going to be doing your own installation, be careful with the shut off valves because CPVC gets brittle as it ages. I mistakenly broke off the pipe under a bathroom sink, and water went everywhere. I had to run the length of the house, down 17 steps and run 50' to get to my incoming shut off valve. Water got into the basement ceiling sheet rock, but a coat of paint covered the damage after it dried out.

Thankfully my new house has PEX pipes which is easier to deal with.

I thought I'd like the built in soap pump, and had it done that way when we had granite counters installed in our previous home. Ended up hating it.

The cup that holds the soap is hidden, you don't know it's empty until it's empty. Then you try to pour in that thick liquid detergent, and you can't see how full it is, so you end up spilling soap all over.

I ended up marking an old PB plastic jar with the amount needed from empty to full, pouring the soap into that, and then filling the soap cup from that. Still a mess.

Now we have a soap dispenser on the counter. Translucent, so you know when to fill ahead of time. EZ-PZ.

Agree on the tall faucet though, that's nice (with spray head built in).

-ERD50
Take the pump portion to a hardware store and ask for a clear 3 ft hose that will snug fit. Then run the hose to a big bottle of Dawn parked under the sink. When you run out, replace the bottle of Dawn .

I also like the tall faucets. We have a Grohe with a built in sprayer. One feature no one has mentioned - if your faucet will be installed on an island such that the back of it will be visible, make sure you like how it looks on the back side. We rejected several models that had visible screws on the back side.

Side note - if you like to make tea or anything with hot water, we absolutely love our instant hot water dispenser.

The problem with one project (faucet) is I am now thinking 10 others with it. . . ugh.

We replaced our Moen kitchen faucet last week with a Delta Faucet. Costco has a $50 off special on this model until April 3

https://www.costco.com/delta-auburn...cet-and-soap-dispenser.product.100793991.html

Installation was extremely easy. It looks great and works well and matches all the other stainless steel appliances in our kitchen.

We have a similar Delta. However, ours has the sensor technology (touch) and we really like it. As for recommendations, I highly recommend the magnet that holds the spray faucet in place. Per the Costco website:

MagnaTite® Docking Uses a Powerful Integrated Magnet to Snap Your Faucet Spray Wand Precisely into Place

We recently replaced the kitchen countertops so got a new sink, disposal, and faucet. We went with "WEWE Single Handle High Arc Brushed Nickel Pull Down Sprayer" from Amazon. (Gotta love the name "WEWE")

It was $61.68, has well over 30,000 review and with five stars. (I know....hard to trust those reviews)

It is the best kitchen faucet I have ever had by far. We were totally willing to spend a lot more, but we are very pleased with this. Sleek, easy to use and clean. Will it last? Who knows. Only had it about 6 months but it really was a great buy so far.

I agree with the Delta faucet, we installed Delta single handle with sprayer extension also. Price was about $200 but that is what you pay for a better quality faucet. Installation not included.

I'm not happy with my latest Delta single handle kitchen faucet. It is very touchy when trying to mix hot and cold water to get the temp you want. I hate it. When I first got it I contacted the company and complained about the problem, they ran me through the max hot water temperature adjustment, I told them that's not the problem. Then they sent me new internals of the faucet to replace, that made no difference.
I think it is just a poor design. I bought a different brand, but have not installed it yet. I don't remember how much I paid.

We recently replaced the kitchen countertops so got a new sink, disposal, and faucet. We went with "WEWE Single Handle High Arc Brushed Nickel Pull Down Sprayer" from Amazon. (Gotta love the name "WEWE")

It was $61.68, has well over 30,000 review and with five stars. (I know....hard to trust those reviews)

Funny results for that item on Fakespot:
Our engine has profiled the reviewer patterns and has determined that there is high deception involved.
Our engine has analyzed and discovered that 56.2% of the reviews are reliable.

-ERD50

The trick is to very slightly water down the soap - about 10% is fine. That helps reduce the potential for overflow, and also avoids the tube getting clogged up over time.

I've had a Delta Leland kitchen faucet I got at Home Cheapo 10 years ago and I HATE IT!

Pros:
1. Looks fantastic

2. Pull down spray head has magnetic ring to redock it with the gooseneck.

3. Lifetime warranty (you will be using this.)

Cons:
1. Unless you find the exact sweet spot where the faucet will turn off, it will drip. I've never had a faucet that was so finicky about turning off. Even the cheapest faucet in rental properties I lived in 40 years ago shut off better than this thing.

2. The faucet does not stay in place. Over time it twists off center and the on/off handle is not aligned properly. Making it worse is the large nut that tightens the faucet to the sink is difficult to access and tighten. Delta recommends their proprietary socket wrench, about $15, that makes tightening this nut easier, but no matter how much muscle I put on it, I can't get it nailed down tight enough to keep the faucet from eventually loosening and twisting.

3. I burn through cartridges about every 3-4 years. They are free and come with free shipping.

Here's my ritual, which I perform about every three to four years. I finally tire of the thing dripping after it's allegedly shut off and I go through the warranty process to get a new cartridge. I install the cartridge. I also crawl under the sink and use their special socket wrench to re-tighten the faucet to the sink. Everything is cool and works as advertised for about six months. Then I notice the faucet is becoming loose again. I may or may not retighten it (I haven't on the last go around.) After about two years it starts getting finicky about turning off and will drip unless you find the sweet spot. Sweet spot is found by placing the handle in the off position and wiggling it slightly under pressure to fully seat it to the off position. After about three years the wiggling trick when turning off doesn't work anymore so I go through the warranty process again.

It is the best kitchen faucet I have ever had by far. We were totally willing to spend a lot more, but we are very pleased with this. Sleek, easy to use and clean. Will it last? Who knows. Only had it about 6 months but it really was a great buy so far.

Well, I'm intrigued by this. I can't determine where it is manufactured and how you get replacement cartridges. I'd like to scrap my crappy Delta faucet.

I like the restaurant dish-pit style pull-down sprayer. I like them so much, in fact, I plan on skipping "restaurant style" and just getting the real deal.

I'm in the planning process of building my forever house on the farm. And in the process of building some AirBnBs in the Italian agritourismo model. And building some guest cottages for friends/family. (Amazing how many people call when you retire to Hawaii.)

One of the highlights of the build (besides the fact that it's going to look like the Swiss Family Robinson treehouse from that old Disney movie) will be a very large, outdoor, somewhat-communal kitchen.

All commercial equipment -- real ranges where the top lifts up for actual cleaning, a Rational oven, a real wok burner, brick oven for baking/pizza, a tandoori, a barbecue pit and a double-walled, insulated smoker, infrared grill just for steaks. And a three-container sink for washing up.

I have the room, and I know how to use all this stuff. So why not? I can buy it cheap in Las Vegas and put it all in the shipping container with the rest of my stuff.

The problem with one project (faucet) is I am now thinking 10 others with it. . . ugh.
That's a very common project management problem. It's called "creeping elegance."

I'm not happy with my latest Delta single handle kitchen faucet. It is very touchy when trying to mix hot and cold water to get the temp you want. ...
Not sure about kitchen faucets but for tub/shower some manufacturers offer both thermostatic temp control and pressure balance control. In the latter the valve maintains a pressure ratio so, for example, if the cold pressure drops due to flushing a toilet, the hot is reduced accordingly and the temp does not change. We have a Moen pressure balance valve in our tub/shower and it works great when someone flushes during someone else's shower. It is fairly touchy when trying to adjust temperature, though. Possibly a true temp controller would not be so touchy? I don't know. You might ask.

It is fairly touchy when trying to adjust temperature, though. Possibly a true temp controller would not be so touchy?

We're getting around this by having two plumbing supplies.

Toilets will be flushed with rainwater captured in a cistern. (With a valve to revert if we have a long dry spell.)

Everything else will use the county water supply.

In addition, we will have multiple drains -- gray water will be filtered and sent straight to irrigation. True wastewater will go to treatment.

Just buy a good DELTA faucet through your plumber and his supply house with the features you want. The versions sold in Home Depot and Lowes are apparently not up to the same standards as those carried by the Professional Plumbing Supply houses.
we are very happy with our Single Handle swiveling Delta Faucet that can be extended out as a sprayer.

+1

It seems every DELTA faucet I've bought had no problems. I'm on my 3rd, but the previous two sold with their respective houses. I've only bought one MOEN faucet but it started leaking fairly quickly so I replaced it with a DELTA. My employer also had a MOEN faucet in the employee lunch room and it was spraying water from the base of the gooseneck after 3 or 4 years and had to get replaced.

As said often on this site, YMMV.

Buy from a plumbing supply place, not places like Home Depot, because they seem to have cheaper internal workings for faucets that look similar. Then buy at least a good midrange faucet. Every time we’ve gone cheap, we’ve regretted it.

Google "best quality faucets." Buy a brand name that has a good rep. Spend a little.

Late to the thread but will throw my 2 cents worth in. We just replaced 2 bathroom faucet sets, fancy shower head and kitchen set. About $1200 total, don't cheap out unless you have too. I asked our plumber what he recommended and he said Delta, Kohler, MOEN, some what equal and Pfister after them. I told hm I wanted good units not cheap and he sent me to where plumbers go. Someone told me what others have mentioned that the big box stores sell what looks like the same unit cheaper but have lots of plastic and such. We ended up with all faucets from Delta and the shower head from MOEN. I told him to remove any flow restricters that he could when installing them. Made a huge differs on bathroom fixtures and shower and some on the kitchen, I think it has a second flow restrictor buried inside. We got a touch on off and love it in the kitchen.

Having gone the super-expensive route as well as the basic US brands, I'd recommend Delta or American Std. Moen always has some blitzy new features, but those features don't always wear well over time. I lived with a high-end German upscale faucet for 15 yrs and was glad to toss it, to be honest.

Don't leave it up to your plumber to pick a faucet. You should decide at least a few parameters:

1) One handle or two? Cooks can have strong opinions about this. I personally prefer one-handled for my kitchen faucet but two-handled for bath sinks.

2) Low rise or high rise? Having used a high rise faucet - the kind that curve up in a U-shape above the sink - I would never use a low-rise faucet again in the kitchen. The high rise faucet is immensely more useful, although warning: it does splash more. I have a deep sink, so that's not so much a concern for us.

3) If high rise, do you want a sprayer? Again, I find it an essential feature. But YMMV.

4) Do you want a pull-out or a pull-down sprayer? You need to site the sink in a corner for a pull-out, as they're more L-shaped than U-shaped. I've had both, currently using a pull-down and prefer it.

5) Is the sprayer on/off with a lock? Not all of them are - one of my kitchen faucets always returned to "stream" once the water turned off. Not a big deal, just something to be aware of.

Be aware that "plastic" in your faucet - specifically the spout - is nothing to be negative about. Especially if you choose a sprayer, metal gets too hot to even touch!

Buy from a plumbing supply place, not places like Home Depot, because they seem to have cheaper internal workings for faucets that look similar. ...

... Someone told me what others have mentioned that the big box stores sell what looks like the same unit cheaper but have lots of plastic and such. ...
Hard to know for sure but I think these are OWTs. It wouldn't make sense for a manufacturer who cultivates a quality reputation to deliver a cheap, unreliable product with his name on it, especially to a seller who moves a large volume.

What does happen however, and this used to be common with stereo components, is that the OEM products delivered to big box stores have unique model numbers or minor feature differences. This make it difficult to be sure that price comparisons are exact.

This is a way of dealing with channel conflict, where an OEM wants to sell essentially the same products through two or more different channels, one of which might be his own online store.

We just bought this faucet: https://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-...nt-Stainless-K-R10651-SD-VS/206086636#overlay for $279 instead of this nearly identical one https://www.build.com/kohler-k-24662/s1770700?uid=4182894 for $562.05 at build.com aka Ferguson, which is where our plumber referred us. Ferguson does not list a faucet equivalent to the cheaper one. Styling is a little different but I am not concerned at all about the reliability.

Back
Top Bottom