Low sugar Breakfast always a challenge

While bacon and eggs sounds delicious, I have to wonder if this just introduces a cholesterol problem while addressing the low sugar problem. I guess it depends on whether the OP has to manage both blood sugar and cholesterol.

i started low carb to lose weight and did but I was also able to stop statins, increase my HDL, and decrease my triglycerides. Bacon and eggs about four times a week. Frequent chicken wings and bacon cheese burgers. For me at least sugar is the devil that drives both weight and lipids.

It is confusing. The term sugar for most people means it will be sweet. Starch is not sweet. Biochemically, those 5 and 6 carbon rings are sugars, but this is not what we call sugar on our tables. Table sugar is sucrose, and sucrose is a dimer of fructose and glucose, which chemically are simple sugars. HFCS is also fructose and glucose. Starch does not equal sugar. When it is digested, it equals glucose. Starch is in fact as you say a polymer, but a polymer of glucose, so no fructose molecule is present. Fructose metabolism is very different from glucose metabolism, and it appears that fructose might be a culprit in obesity, metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes. Starch is a carbohydrate, as is sucrose. Sucrose is also table sugar.

Ha
What I have read recently agrees with this. Sugar and HFCS (which is almost the same thing) are in a league by themselves. My N=1 anecdotal self experiments confirm it ;). A low carb (all carbs) diet is great for rapid weight loss but for many of us (or at least some) we can add back a fair amount of rice, potatoes, and even bread with impunity. Sweets, on the other hand, quickly start accumulating the pounds. I am enough of a chocolate addict that I have tested how much I can handle - essentially none on a regular basis.

i started low carb to lose weight and did but I was also able to stop statins, increase my HDL, and decrease my triglycerides. Bacon and eggs about four times a week. Frequent chicken wings and bacon cheese burgers. For me at least sugar is the devil that drives both weight and lipids.

My husband has eggs everyday. Sometimes with sausage or bacons. He's only able to reduce his cholestoral about less than 1%, however he was able to reduce his triglycerides to 1/3 of his level back 20 years ago. I kept a copy of his blood work back when we were getting life insurance. Interesting is that no doctor ever mentioned his high triglycerides. They kept harping on the cholesterol level.
But high triglycerides is also a problem.

My husband has eggs everyday. Sometimes with sausage or bacons. He's only able to reduce his cholestoral about less than 1%, however he was able to reduce his triglycerides to 1/3 of his level back 20 years ago. I kept a copy of his blood work back when we were getting life insurance. Interesting is that no doctor ever mentioned his high triglycerides. They kept harping on the cholesterol level.
But high triglycerides is also a problem.

MY DW and I pretty much eat the same things. My cholesterol and triglycerides are normal (actually quite low) and hers are off the map. She is on meds for them with little success. How do you figure this result?

MY DW and I pretty much eat the same things. My cholesterol and triglycerides are normal (actually quite low) and hers are off the map. She is on meds for them with little success. How do you figure this result?

I have no idea. But my husband is not on met for diabetics at all. No metformin, but he does take an occasional Alpha Lipoic Acid, this ingredient I found in the prediabetics Vitamin from Costco.

Maybe as a male you burn more, more muscle. That's my guess. What about activities, do you do more activities? My husband exercises more than I do. But from your post, IIRC, she sneaks in carbs( bread or sweet potatoes) for dinner so maybe that's why too.

Last edited:
I have no idea. But my husband is not on met for diabetics at all. No metformin, but he does take an occasional Alpha Lipoic Acid, this ingredient I found in the prediabetics Vitamin from Costco.

Maybe as a male you burn more, more muscle. That's my guess. What about activities, do you do more activities? My husband exercises more than I do. But from your post, IIRC, she sneaks in carbs( bread or sweet potatoes) for dinner so maybe that's why too.

She clearly likes sweets and grains more than I do, but I think a big part of her difference is heriditary. Plus, her 8 brothers and sisters all have or had some form of heart disease while no one in my family history does or did. This stuff is too hard t figure.

She clearly likes sweets and grains more than I do, but I think a big part of her difference is heriditary. Plus, her 8 brothers and sisters all have or had some form of heart disease while no one in my family history does or did. This stuff is too hard t figure.
Heriditary is always a big factor. No diabetics in my family, except heart disease and high blood pressure too. But everybody in my family is on some form of BP medicine. I'm not there yet.

But my husband's side loves sweet and bread. So being gluten free removes a lot of sweet that he can eat. No bread at the restaurants now. But I believe his mom did have diabetes late in her life, her toes got gangrene so that's why I'm careful.
Plus high triglycerides also could cause heart attack to. Nobody in my husband's family died of a heart attack. Unlike my family.

Last edited:
Despite my eating cereal for breakfast, got back my latest blood test results this morning and my A1C was 5.3, made my day:dance:

This is my breakfast after the gym. It may be too many carbs for some, but eating carbs along with protein after your workout is good. I do an hour of weight lifting followed by 35 minutes of cardio.

I just started using Almond milk, so I cook my oatmeal in it.

Oatmeal Recipe:
1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/2 cup of quaker oatmeal
dash of splenda
Tablespoon of Syntha 6 banana flavored protein powder

1 piece of wheat toast.

I also have a protein shake.

~3/4 cup of full fat plain Greek yogurt
~1/4 cup plain kefir
1 scoop vanilla whey protein isolate
1/4 - 1/2 cup of berries (whatever is cheap)
Small handful of granola for crunch

My weekday breakfast. Low carb, very little sugar, 60g protein, good fat and good for your gut.

+1

My wife makes her own yogurt because most of the store-bought stuff is too sweet. I add berries and/or Trader Joe's High Fiber cereal. Sticks with me until lunch.

Back
Top Bottom