Mac gurus - can't play videos with sound on

disneysteve

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I recently started having an odd problem on my Mac desktop. I can't play videos unless I mute the sound. With the sound on, they won't play. With the sound muted, they'll play. If I restart the computer, that fixes the problem temporarily but then it starts doing it again.

I have not installed any new software or extensions. I'm not on the latest OS but I don't know if that's enough reason for this to suddenly start happening.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I recently started having an odd problem on my Mac desktop. I can't play videos unless I mute the sound. With the sound on, they won't play. With the sound muted, they'll play. If I restart the computer, that fixes the problem temporarily but then it starts doing it again.

I have not installed any new software or extensions. I'm not on the latest OS but I don't know if that's enough reason for this to suddenly start happening.

What version of MacOS are you using? On what model Mac?

"Playing video" is pretty vague. Is this in YouTube? Netflix? Photos? VLC? something else. Is this inside a browser? Which browser?

What version of MacOS are you using? On what model Mac?

"Playing video" is pretty vague. Is this in YouTube? Netflix? Photos? VLC? something else. Is this inside a browser? Which browser?
I'm on Mojave, 10.14.6.

Problem is on Twitter or Facebook definitely using Firefox 115.0.3. It also happens on a couple of sites I use that are work-related for continuing education. So pretty much everywhere.

Try viewing the videos in Safari rather than Firefox?

Do videos play in Photos?

Try viewing the videos in Safari rather than Firefox?

Do videos play in Photos?
I think I tried Safari and it didn't work. I can't check right now because I restarted so it's working at the moment. As soon as the problem comes back, I'll check Safari.

Back
Top Bottom