Make It Stop!!!!!

SoReadyToRetire

Recycles dryer sheets
Glad I retired a month ago so I can stay in bed today with the covers over my head ...

Yes, I know—if your AA is right, you can relax, blah blah.

Doesn’t mean this doesn’t SUCK ?

Even with my conservative AA it still sucks. This correction could last a very long time too. Probably until some good news happens with respect to the coronavirus. Then again.......I know nothing about nothing.

It’ll all be fine. You’re probably not going to like today though...

Have a month to decide if I want to take my yearly allocation for my budget or start SS a year sooner than planned.

Glad I retired a month ago so I can stay in bed today with the covers over my head ...

Ha, I’m also finding “covers over the head” to be helpful.

It's Christmas in March at Berkshire Hathaway. Charlie and Warren are making a list and checking it twice. They can finally spend some of those billions! :)

I'm still 3-4 years from retirement. If the market is going to crash, I would prefer it happen now so it has time to recover before we retire. :) I only wish I had extra cash to invest while prices are down.

I'm still 3-4 years from retirement. If the market is going to crash, I would prefer it happen now so it has time to recover before we retire. :) I only wish I had extra cash to invest while prices are down.

If you're still contributing to your 401(k) (or whatever) I'd consider that cash to invest while prices are down.

I kept chucking it in in 2008/09 and it was a thing of beauty when things got back to 'normal'.

Take a deep breath. Go for a run, a bike ride, a movie, a hike. Relax and enjoy life. Forget about the market. The Great Recession passed. This too shall pass.

Lucky Dude

This might sound crazy. Our last big buy in to VTSMX, Dow at ~16,000. DH just mentioned this morning, he wants to sell a portion of bonds in tIRA and buy VTSMX. His thoughts were to wait until it hits 22,000. I know this sounds like market timing. Thoughts and criticism welcome.

I kept maximizing my 401K and putting some into my after tax investments as well in 2008. I sold some equities to increase my cash position in November. Now I wish I sold more. I enjoy rollercoasters. I don't enjoy financial rollercoasters.

I don't know much. I know that this will get better at some point. I don't know when, but I know it will.

I am loving every single minute of this.

My 2/98 AA has had my bottom line going up a nice amount every single day for the past couple weeks.

Now, I am getting solid dividend paying companies that have been beaten down to prices that are 10 and 20 year lows...5% to 10% dividends when the 10-year treasury is fighting to hold 0.50%.

Please, let this continue. The stock market is acting as if this is the end of the world.

I'll go ahead and take our annual IRA withdrawal at the end of the month. FIRECalc is still at 100% so I will hold my nose and take the plunge.

Bought in to IVV last week around 280, again today. Still a ways out for retirement, so I don't feel the same angst as OP. If you have it, I think a good time to throw some in...

My 2/98 AA has had my bottom line going up a nice amount every single day for the past couple weeks.

Now, I am getting solid dividend paying companies that have been beaten down to prices that are 10 and 20 year lows...5% to 10% dividends when the 10-year treasury is fighting to hold 0.50%.
Sounds like our portfolio's AA since forever. Can afford to cough up 20% of our net worth and still do quite fine (we would rather not lose that amount, but that's a different matter). Might be time to return to stocks.

If you really want to put the covers over your head just think Japan stock market hit a high of 38916 at the end of 1989. It never recovered to anywhere near that level in the intervening 30+ years and is currently at 19698

Wake me up when we have had another day like the one where the market dropped 20% in one day. And, when the market overall is down over 20%.

Cheap oil. What a disaster! Cheap energy. What a horror! The next thing you know the Fed will raise interest rates and slow down the War on Savers. :eek:

I suppose from the point of view that we need to burn less carbon based energy products it's not good in the long run. Today, I will be helping my Tesla owning neighbor convert his car to gasoline. OK, just kidding. He would never give up his Telsa. Never!

It's Christmas in March at Berkshire Hathaway. Charlie and Warren are making a list and checking it twice. They can finally spend some of those billions! :)

Hopefully they do get off their duff's and do something. They missed the other downturn we just had months ago. :facepalm:

I know they are waiting, but the big recession might not happen....

Yes it does SUCK!!! :LOL:

Now that you are retired, you can just ignore it and do other stuff. At least, that is what I plan to do. Eventually the market will get back to where it was, and meanwhile I plan to ignore it and continue living my happy, relaxed retired life. "Hurry up and do nothing" is the approach that works best for me in a market plunge like this.

I do miss being able to post every day about how my investments plus bank accounts are at an all time high, though. :)

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 473
Some of you have more risk tolerance than I do. I look at absolute numbers and an 18% drop would be devastating loss given the size of my portfolio. I have 27% in cash/money market and 73% in individual bonds/CDs. I'll start buying when I see value and I just don't see any in this market right now.

If you really want to put the covers over your head just think Japan stock market hit a high of 38916 at the end of 1989. It never recovered to anywhere near that level in the intervening 30+ years and is currently at 19698

Holy ^%$#@&, ejman! I'm DEFINITELY going back to bed now! :(

Back
Top Bottom