March Madness

For the Hawkeyes to beat SC, C. Clark has got to be on her best game. They were lucky to get by UConn last night.

The defensive effort against Clark was remarkable. Dawn Staley no doubt taking notes. UConn's defense is why the game was so close and why Iowa turned it over 12 times in the first half.

I thought the illegal pick at the end was the right call. People saying you can't call that in that situation and you "have to let the players decide the game" miss that players ARE deciding it when they foul. What is truly wrong is refs swallowing their whistles and allowing teams to win with the benefit of uncalled fouls. I have seen it too many times.

Yeah, after a cold start, Iowa comes back from 12 down to playing much better in the second half and being up 9 with about 6 minutes remaining. Nice try from UCONN. A little too close for comfort in the end, but I wouldn't call it luck.

I agree - refs should be consistent all game and call the fouls as they occur.

Last edited:
The defensive effort against Clark was remarkable. Dawn Staley no doubt taking notes. UConn's defense is why the game was so close and why Iowa turned it over 12 times in the first half.

I thought the illegal pick at the end was the right call. People saying you can't call that in that situation and you "have to let the players decide the game" miss that players ARE deciding it when they foul. What is truly wrong is refs swallowing their whistles and allowing teams to win with the benefit of uncalled fouls. I have seen it too many times.

I agree on the illegal pick. From the replay the UConn player definitely and IMO deliberately impeded the Iowa defender from going towards the UConn player with the ball. It was a good call albeit at a critical juncture in the game... blame the UConn player for fouling, not the refs for calling it.

I agree on the illegal pick. From the replay the UConn player definitely and IMO deliberately impeded the Iowa defender from going towards the UConn player with the ball. It was a good call albeit at a critical juncture in the game... blame the UConn player for fouling, not the refs for calling it.
+1. Edward’s very clearly threw a shoulder, it wasn’t an incidental bump. And as someone on ESPN pointed out, UConn had a chance to get one more try if they’d got the rebound on Clark’s missed foul shot - but they let Iowa get the rebound. All good in my view.

It’s always interesting when people focus on a single call from the refs just because at that moment, it was an impactful call. Ultimately, all the calls impact the game and it’s more common than not that calls (good and bad) have gone in both directions throughout the game. But somehow, one call is the only one that impacts the game. If a team gets a large enough spread in the score, it wouldn’t even be an issue.

+1. Edward’s very clearly threw a shoulder, it wasn’t an incidental bump. And as someone on ESPN pointed out, UConn had a chance to get one more try if they’d got the rebound on Clark’s missed foul shot - but they let Iowa get the rebound. All good in my view.
I saw that - it was Andraya Carter that said that, who works for the network.

Last edited:
Well congrats to SC, the would probably beat Iowa 4 out of 5. The difference between a real team of 9 versus a star with a supporting cast- the same lesson that even Michael Jordan had to learn.

It would have made a great story for Clark to cap off her stellar college career with a championship, but she didn’t have it today and neither did her other starters today. I can’t remember when Clark has been stripped of the ball three times like that, sloppy? It will be interesting to see how she does in the WNBA, I think she may be surprised.

I was hoping to see Iowa pull off an upset, but even when they were up early, I knew it wouldn't last and that the odds were stacked against them. Too many missed shots and too many second chances for SC. No surprises.

At least they made it a little interesting closing to 5 late in the game.

Last edited:
Well congrats to SC, the would probably beat Iowa 4 out of 5. The difference between a real team of 9 versus a star with a supporting cast- the same lesson that even Michael Jordan had to learn.

It would have made a great story for Clark to cap off her stellar college career with a championship, but she didn’t have it today and neither did her other starters today. I can’t remember when Clark has been stripped of the ball three times like that, sloppy? It will be interesting to see how she does in the WNBA, I think she may be surprised.

She may not be the best player in the WNBA but the second he turns pro she will be offered endorsements worth 8 figures so she's good either way.

I was hoping to see Iowa pull off an upset, but even when they were up early, I knew it wouldn't last and that the odds were stacked against them. Too many missed shots and too many second chances for SC. No surprises.

Yeah, SC was just too big. They rebounded everything and they couldn't be stopped on either side of the court. Iowa had some good streaks but for the most part they had an off day and to beat SC Iowa had to be at their best.

Iowa did not have anyone who could stop 6' 7" Cardoso (and no other team has either).

She may not be the best player in the WNBA but the second he turns pro she will be offered endorsements worth 8 figures so she's good either way.

College athletes no longer need to wait to go pro. She's made over $3M already.

I am glad women's basketball is getting so much interest. I love to watch them play.

College athletes no longer need to wait to go pro. She's made over $3M already.

Yep. NIL and the "transfer portal" are really changing college sports. The days of "student athletes" are long gone in the major revenue sports.

Iowa did not have anyone who could stop 6' 7" Cardoso (and no other team has either).
At least they made it interesting. After being down 14 points in the 4th, Iowa closed the gap to 5, and with 3:04 left in the 4th, it was 80-75, but Iowa never scored in the last 4 minutes.
I am glad women's basketball is getting so much interest. I love to watch them play.
I actually only watched the final game last year, which I just happened to catch by accident, so this year I started watching some of the Iowa games later in the season including the Big 10 tournament championship and NCAA tournament games. I haven't watched any of the men's games in years.

I've kinda tried to get away from sports except for NFL games, which I time shift to get watched more quickly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom