Maximum miles and time frame for road trips?

Thought of one thing to add, I try to do all my driving in daytime. I may get up and hit the road before sunrise, but try to be off the road for sure by sundown. After a whole day driving, it is much harder driving at night when already tired. Long summer days make it easier to put miles in.

I too find daylight driving much easier.

Another help is to stop at rest areas a lot. At least stretch and if possible, walk a bit.

I find that state welcome centers are often the best rest areas with plenty of clean bathrooms and good sidewalks.

If I'm driving I have trouble concentrating on the book and driving at the same time, feel like neither one gets my full attention.

I really like listening to podcasts/audio books when highway driving. Gives my mind something to think about.

But I do turn it off when I hit traffic or bad weather.

My H and I love driving. We take road trips several times a year here in the west. We have also driven from London to the highlands of Scotland, around Ireland and France and hope to do a driving trip in Spain then Portugal in the near future.

When I was in my early 20's, I would regularly drive solo 1100+ miles at a time, stopping only for gas, from Connecticut to Missouri to see my family, although my all time longest drive was from Chicago to Orlando to report to my next duty station on time. But now I am old and stiff and I can't drive for too long before I need a break. When we took our great big road trip out West in the fall of 2019, we planned it so that we need not drive more than about 200 miles in a day, split between morning and afternoon with a long stop for lunch and to see the sights in the middle, which was just about perfect. I was reminded of my dislike of long drives when we went from our house here in Connecticut to Butler, PA last summer for a wedding. 434 miles one way, and it was painful.

Last edited:

To make it interesting we look at our projected route on Google Maps to determine roughly where we want to stop for the night and then use the restaurant feature to find a good local non-chain place to have supper, places that have high rating and good reviews (4.8/5.0). Only then do we choose a hotel that's reasonably close. Hotels are all basically the same but restaurants can vary widely.

Great way to go. We are similar in prioritizing quality dinners. On our long meandering trips, we have gone so far as to decide which direction to go at a fork in the road based upon quality of restaurants in each direction.

^ agree with that! The pie and coffee thread is a great example, I will consult that for some of our travel directions. A really pleasant mid day stop is bunus.

We've cut back to 550 miles per day or less and we try to find points of interest along the way. It is sort of hit or miss. Is there an app that people use for sites along their planned route?

I like driving. Just not in stop & go. That's stressful and tiring. Just did the "pick up daughter at UCLA and back in same day. About 700 miles and 11 hours. No problem.

If driving in "dense pack" remember that freeways are pretty much open between 10 AM and 2 PM. Plan to avoid large metro areas outside of this band.

Have fun and keep the rubber side down!

When I was cross-country trucking I would plan going through the big uglys at around 10PM, get past and then take a nap.

We've cut back to 550 miles per day or less and we try to find points of interest along the way. It is sort of hit or miss. Is there an app that people use for sites along their planned route?

For the USA, we have both a rand McNally road Atlas and a national geographic Atlas in the car to look at during the trip. (We navigate via Google maps, but the books are easily worthwhile)

As for apps, https://roadtrippers.com/ has one, and we've found the website to be useful for cool side trips/stops. My travel bookmarks also include https://www.roadtripamerica.com/travelplanning/Road-Trip-Planning.htm which we've used as well

I have a Trip to visit some Investment property (long story, I'm the Trustee of the property) north of Duluth MN. That's almost 1200 miles. I have to bring back files, and I don't know if it will be 3-4 boxes (in which case a shipper would make flying possible) or 15 boxes, in which case the pickup is sufficient. I'm driving over 3 days there, 12 days in Duluth and 3 days back. DW wants to visit our only grandson while I'm gone, so it is a solo trip. 7 hrs, 7 hrs and 4 hrs. I want to arrive and have a quiet evening befor the fun starts!

In the last two years, I have taken three 2000+mile round trips and one 3000+ mile round trip mostly to visit national parks. I drive 5-6 hours a day which luckily covers about 400-500 miles in the west. It takes me at least three days instead of two days to get to my destination but a two day drive would be exhausting.

To make the drive more interesting, I stop at a few attractions along the way and plan the route to include some scenic byways. Some routes are easier than others. I enjoy driving through Colorado on Highway 550, 285, or 180 or through Utah and Montana. But I never want to drive the entire length of Texas or on I-40 (or I-10) through the entirety of NM, AZ, and half of CA again. For my upcoming trip to Yosemite, I am flying.

Last edited:
We've done 3,000 miles in 4 days a few years ago. Cross country trip for a move. Left mid Friday morning and arrived around dinner time on Monday. DH did most (almost all) of the driving. I don't know how he can stand to drive for such a long time. But he says he doesn't mind. I can't stand driving more than 4 hours at the wheel myself.

The worst drive I ever had was an emergency trip from NYC to Los Angeles in three days. That's bad enough by itself, but it was in a car with only second, fourth, and fifth gears. No first, third, or reverse. The amazing thing is that I was able to do it and get there on time, although I think I slept for a very long time at the end.

I was much younger then! :LOL:

When I was married we would take a month trip in the motor home and drive 4K miles. The first trip we took while still working was that far in 2 weeks and was mostly driving which sucked.

My ANNUAL driving trip to Connecticut from Texas and back:

Do this trip SOLO.

First day - Leave Houston area, stop in Joplin, MO overnight to visit an old friend.

Second day, drive to Columbus, OH for an overnight stay.

Third day, drive to CT and arrive about 5:00 PM.

About 1920 miles.

Reverse is about the same.

6 days total driving - 3800 miles (633 miles per day)

I'll be doing this again this year around my 79th birthday.

We were in Las Vegas in March 2020 when the Covid lockdown hit. We were supposed to spend some time with friends in Arizona after Las Vegas, but decided to get home asap. So we drove from Vegas to tucumcari nm 750 miles and spent the night, and drove home to Illinois the next day 1100 miles (about 16 hour driving day). Hopefully never have to drive that far in a day again.

Our summer trip to Glacier NP will have 3 days around 700 miles each in the flatlands. Lesser mileage days in the scenic areas.

Attachments

• Glacier 2022 rev2.jpg
    Glacier 2022 rev2.jpg
    568.3 KB · Views: 34
I saw Ronstars post about his trip to AZ .. I think it was around 3900 miles in 19 days.

How much driving do you like to do on a road trip? A neighbor just did a mini snowbird trip and somehow ended up driving over 9000 miles..

The nearest warm weather spot is at least 1500 miles from here, I find myself not enjoying the driving part. Add in some driving around at your destination and it seems like all you do is sit in the car.

Any tricks or solutions you do to make the driving more enjoyable?

I’m on a 2500 mile trip right now. I’ve averaged about 8 hour drives each leg. At each stop I spent at least one day (staying with friends and family). I’m about 2/3rds done tonight.

I find a couple things that make it much more tolerable than previous trips. 1) I’m retired and do not have to be at any location at any particular time. I told everyone I was visiting a general time I’d be there and they (also retired) were fine with that. I did, in fact, stay an extra day with my brother. 2) I’ve been driving much more casually than in the past. My nature is to pretty much drive as fast as traffic will allow and usually in the left lane. This trip, I’ve been locking in the cruise control at the speed limit and pretty much sticking with that. It does take longer, but it’s easier overall.

I think if I didn’t have specific places I want to be on certain days, I would limit my driving to 6 hours. I’ll try planning a little better next time.

We were in Las Vegas in March 2020 when the Covid lockdown hit. We were supposed to spend some time with friends in Arizona after Las Vegas, but decided to get home asap. So we drove from Vegas to tucumcari nm 750 miles and spent the night, and drove home to Illinois the next day 1100 miles (about 16 hour driving day). Hopefully never have to drive that far in a day again.

Our summer trip to Glacier NP will have 3 days around 700 miles each in the flatlands. Lesser mileage days in the scenic areas.

That's a great looking trip I hope the crowds aren't overwhelming.

^ I’m sensing that Yellowstone and Glacier are going to be crowded this summer. Sedona was crowded a couple of weeks ago. A local told us that Sedona is now getting 4.5 million tourists a year.

^ I’m sensing that Yellowstone and Glacier are going to be crowded this summer. Sedona was crowded a couple of weeks ago. A local told us that Sedona is now getting 4.5 million tourists a year.

Zion got 5 million last year, while I'm glad people are doing more parks it's a logjam.

I hear from my Idaho family and friends that Island Park area is a twin Yellowstone with way less people..

Zion got 5 million last year, while I'm glad people are doing more parks it's a logjam.

I hear from my Idaho family and friends that Island Park area is a twin Yellowstone with way less people..
I went through Zion 30 years ago and remember thinking that I'd hate to break down out here. There's no one around.

I went through Zion 30 years ago and remember thinking that I'd hate to break down out here. There's no one around.

No longer true:dance:

We drive 600 miles from Chicago to far northwest Minnesota twice a year, spring and autumn, to our favorite walleye lake. Been doing it for many, many years. Decades ago, we'd leave in the early evening with our young son set up to sleep in the back seat and arrive the next morning about 12 hours later. Now in our 70's, we take two days to do the drive, about 450 miles the first day and 150 miles the next on the way up. On the way back, we've still been doing it in one long day since we have frozen fish with us.

We now have one of those fancy Yeti coolers and I'm confident that if I invest a few bux in dry ice, we can split the drive home into two or three days without worrying about the fish thawing. We're setting up plans to do that.

We just returned from two months camping in Florida. We took three days each way to do the 1,100 - 1,200 miles. The longest day was the first going down and the last coming back. You don't want to be camping anywhere north of Louisville in the winter! It'a likely to be cold and often hard to find open campgrounds.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom