Meal Kit Delivery services - experiences?

We used Hello Fresh for a few weeks while we were in ATL for my DW's surgery. At first, we enjoyed them...then it got old. Most of the recipes were tasty, but we saw a trend, "Add salt. Add salt. Add salt. Add salt." which I think is where most of the flavor came from. We were able to go to Whole Foods across the street and pick up some pretty good pre-made dinners for a similar price and a lot less hassle.

Edit: I also noticed that when they showed up, you best use them sooner than later. If we did a 3 meal pack, we couldn't skip a day or the fresh fruits/veggies for the 3rd meal would be close to no longer usable.

And if you forward to *not* doing dishes, then forget it. I think the recipe KNOWS how many pans/pots we have and has been modified to make sure we use EVERY SINGLE ONE we have.

Last edited:
And if you forward to *not* doing dishes, then forget it. I think they recipe KNOWS how many pans/pots we have and has been modified to make sure we use EVERY SINGLE ONE we have.

Yes it does start with a higher-than-expected bar in terms of cooking utensils, bowls, pans, etc. I had to use a peeler and grater in one recipe last week "twirl the carrot to shave ribbons with the peeler" ok no lol...(step 12 of a 10-min-prep recipe). For now it's part of the fun, but unless they have dozens of recipes I can see it getting old.

I plan to rotate with the starter coupons through several plans and then see who offers the biggest "come back we miss you" discount and go from there.

Yes it does start with a higher-than-expected bar in terms of cooking utensils, bowls, pans, etc. I had to use a peeler and grater in one recipe last week "twirl the carrot to shave ribbons with the peeler" ok no lol...(step 12 of a 10-min-prep recipe). For now it's part of the fun, but unless they have dozens of recipes I can see it getting old.

I plan to rotate with the starter coupons through several plans and then see who offers the biggest "come back we miss you" discount and go from there.

Ha! I had forgotten the multiple (sometimes MULTIPLE!) steps. Granted, the DW is the primary cook around here...I can still find my way around the kitchen but still found myself getting frustrated at the many, MANY steps for an "easy" recipe.

Anyone try Tovala?

Saw a commercial for them, then looked up reviews.

Little to no prep or cleanup. But you have to buy a piece of hardware, a smart oven which seems to mostly steam and then broil.

Portions look small to me though and the meal kits are $12 with free shipping for 4 a week.

We are funny about these services. Basically the day we need to have meals prepared for us (We enjoy cooking together in retirement), is the day we will check out an independent living adult facility. :) Sorry but, we do not need to save time or have meal suggestions at this time.

We are funny about these services. Basically the day we need to have meals prepared for us (We enjoy cooking together in retirement), is the day we will check out an independent living adult facility. :) Sorry but, we do not need to save time or have meal suggestions at this time.

Having done Hello Fresh for a few weeks, I can very plainly say there is no real "prep" in that service - it's a bag of food, just portioned for one meal (2 servings). I spent significantly more time in the kitchen to complete each dish than I do for any of my typical recipes. More time than I'd spend popping to the store and back and cooking myself. Not infrequently it was an hour from getting out the recipe card to serving dinner, with no "right it's in the oven" breaks.

These were multi step, now do the side dish, now do the sauce and put that aside, while that's going twirl ribbon shavings from the zucchini and zest another lemon. Like, are you mad it's Tuesday from crying out loud.

I just needed a jump start on some new ideas after burning through my personal roll-p-dex of recipes too many times, especially being home more lately.

I tried the meal delivery services quite a while ago, and while I learned some new techniques, it all was a LOT of effort to make the meals.

I have not gotten one since, as besides the work they are expensive.

As for the no-work meal delivery, I'd rather just get TV dinners, they have improved a LOT over the years, some are even healthy and taste good.
Basically the no-prep ones are really just TV dinners, so I evaluate them that way.

If you are old, and can't cook anymore, meals on wheels is a GREAT option.

Lazy Dog, a regional restaurant chain, have these3 $10 TV dinners.

You just pop the tin in the oven but the one I tried didn't really turn out that great, in terms of the texture of the chicken.

The lime grass Vietnamese style rice was kinda soggy too.

That is why Tovala is kinda intriguing. The cooking process is automated and it seems to mostly use steam cooking and then finish off with broiling.

Portions seem small though and it's mostly chicken and pork, one beef choice, one salmon.

I could probably make it work but people who prefer beef might not be able to eat beef several times a week.

We use Home Chef. Sometimes we get meals where most of the prep is completed and we pop it in the oven. Other times it is around 40 minutes.
We enjoy it and it cuts down much of the normal food shopping.

I had a free week of Hello Fresh. Three meals and having made two of them, we’re not impressed. It was more work than expected and I didn’t feel like the quality of ingredients was that great. The meals were only average. It’s very much here’s a bag of ingredients and start cooking. Years ago we tried Blue Apron and I seem to recall it was similar, even though I seem to recall they had more packaging.

I don’t find that meal kits provide good value. Most of the ingredients I already have or can easily buy in the store. I’d also buy better quality for less cost. I understand the appeal, but so far it hasn’t worked for me.

I had a free week of Hello Fresh. Three meals and having made two of them, we’re not impressed. It was more work than expected and I didn’t feel like the quality of ingredients was that great. The meals were only average. It’s very much here’s a bag of ingredients and start cooking. Years ago we tried Blue Apron and I seem to recall it was similar, even though I seem to recall they had more packaging.

I don’t find that meal kits provide good value. Most of the ingredients I already have or can easily buy in the store. I’d also buy better quality for less cost. I understand the appeal, but so far it hasn’t worked for me.

It’s possible to have more packaging than Hello Fresh? My daughter warned me about the packaging waste but I thought “how bad could it be?” Basically it’s a lot of work but if you really hate going into the grocery store and you like exposure to slightly different choices (I don’t) like cous cous instead of rice maybe you’ll like it. Also it gets overpriced when you run out of introductory offers. Next time I’ll try Freshly which is heat and eat. Too bad the expansive food bars of prepared and semi-prepared meals at our local grocery are all shut down.

Back
Top Bottom