medical tourism... or travel for affordable care

bingybear

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'd like to keep politics and health insurance debate at bay, but would like to discuss travelling to other places or other methods of getting affordable health care.
Specific issue for me is dealing with pacemaker care. Honestly the typical annual treatment is affordable. However, every 8 years or so I will need the device changed (battery is expected to wear out). From what I've read and heard the procedure should take about 15 minutes + recovery if the leads are OK. It is typically an out patient procedure. The original surgery putting in 2 leads and device (including signing the consent for care forms was less than an hour), but not as out patient.
My question, has anyone done traveled to get significantly better cost of care -- and hopefully equivalent care. It does not have to be for my issue. What were your experiences. What advice do you have or contact or methods for finding these alternative.

Bingybear,

I've recently looked into this as a next phase of my life. All international travel tax deductable while evaluating facilities :cool::D

There are brokers if you will who do all the arranging and pre-screening of the hospitals, etc. During my research I spoke with two "start up" companies doing this. They swore up and down about the savings. the number 1 item to sink home wasn't the tooth implant for $1500 it was the full blown nursing home/ assisted living facility with water views and nice facilities for about $1500 a month.:D:D

This guy spent some time talking with me and seemed nice enough.
Hepatitis C,Medical Tourism,Hep C treatment USA,India - Surcation®

Medical tourism is a big business in many parts of the world. National Healthcare in the U.K. and even Canada means the waiting lists on some procedures are not short. And those with financial resources often go elsewhere for treatment--vs. waiting 6 months or a year or longer.

But some procedures require closer monitoring and a high level of expertise. It's one thing to have some dental work in Budapest for a Londoner. But those dealing with a pacemaker need a closer physician in case adjustments are needed. And the penalty for using the wrong doctor may be death. It's just not worth the savings.

Back
Top Bottom