Medicare Part D changes for 2024

Sue J

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just got the Annual Notice of Change from my Aetna Silverscript SmartSaver Part D plan. This is the one that many of us have because it was the least expensive premium cost for the last couple of years. I got an email about this being available and I will probably get a printed copy in the mail.

The monthly premium is going from $5.10 to $5.30.

The deductible (Tiers 2-5) was $505 in 2023 and will be $280 in 2024.

The cost sharing for Preferred Pharmacies for Tier 1 was $2 for 1 month supply and in 2024 it will be $0.

Nice to see costs going DOWN!

The 6% cap on Part D premium increases through 2030 should help. In replies to your post last year about this time, bizlady posted a very nice summation of upcoming changes to Part D due to the new legislation.

I found it very helpful.

Last edited:
Wow, goldmine! Much appreciated.

Could be a game changer. Of particular note are the insulin costs and the max out of pocket cap of $2000/year (initially) for Rx beginning 2025. That in itself is huge.

That is the drug plan I have, but my price next year more than doubled. It is going from $7.30 to $ 15.70. I live in Georgia.

So the 6% cap on premium increases doesn't start until 2024?

I also live in Georgia and have that drug plan.

That is the drug plan I have, but my price next year more than doubled. It is going from $7.30 to $ 15.70. I live in Georgia.
So the 6% cap on premium increases doesn't start until 2024?

I also live in Georgia and have that drug plan.
The 6% cap was applied to the 2024 calculations but it is only one component of the plan-specific premium so it is possible the plan's actual premium increases more than 6%.

...the base beneficiary premium will increase by 6% in 2024 to $34.70. Without premium stabilization, the 2024 base beneficiary premium would have been $39.35, or $4.65 higher.

With a premium stabilization-capped 2024 base beneficiary premium of $34.70, the average basic Part D premium is projected to increase from $32.09 in 2023 to $34.50 in 2024, a 7.5% increase.

The plan-specific Part D premium is calculated as the sum of the base beneficiary premium and the difference between the plan’s monthly bid and the national average monthly bid amount.

More details: https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/fact-s...d-medicare-part-d-premium-and-bid-information

I received a letter from Aetna. My cost of Part D will increase from $4.5/month to $18.5/month.

I checked my Medicare.gov site and see 3 drugs that I used early this year just one time due to a common cold, still listed as used 'monthly'. I wonder if that is what triggered the higher premium. I will try to call Aetna and see if they can re-evalute my premium. If not I will have to shop around during open enrollment for next year.

I received a letter from Aetna. My cost of Part D will increase from $4.5/month to $18.5/month.

I checked my Medicare.gov site and see 3 drugs that I used early this year just one time due to a common cold, still listed as used 'monthly'. I wonder if that is what triggered the higher premium. I will try to call Aetna and see if they can re-evalute my premium. If not I will have to shop around during open enrollment for next year.
Dang! We might be shopping around then.

I don’t think they do increases just for individuals. It’s going to be for a region.

Just got the Annual Notice of Change from my Aetna Silverscript SmartSaver Part D plan. This is the one that many of us have because it was the least expensive premium cost for the last couple of years. I got an email about this being available and I will probably get a printed copy in the mail.
The monthly premium is going from $5.10 to $5.30.

Today by mail I received the Annual Notice of Change from my Wellcare Value Script Part D plan.

I did a double take... the premium is going from $11.10 (2023) to $.50 (2024)! What? A major misprint? So I called the member number, and got it verified. Yes, $.50 per month for next year!
The skeptical person I am, where's the catch?

Deductible $505 -->$545, ok, expected.

I had to dig out the 2023 ANC to compare to find a subtle text difference:
2023 - The deductible applied to Tier 3 Preferred Brand Drugs, Tier 4 Non-Preferred drugs, Tier 5 Specialty, and Tier 6 Select/Diabetic Drugs.
(The cheap drugs in Tiers 1 & 2 were free or cheap and the deductible did NOT apply)
But for 2024, no mention of that exclusion. Looks like the user pays everything until the $545 deductible is met no matter what Tier. There are a couple other changes, but for me those changes are not a big concern.
Preferred Pharmacy list and formulary for 2024 not there yet.

So that's how the premium drops from $11.10 to $.50 per month!

I'm not on any ongoing prescription drugs, in 2023 only antibiotics for surgery. Less than $50 for the year (well, at least SO far!:)).

Today by mail I received the Annual Notice of Change from my Wellcare Value Script Part D plan.

I did a double take... the premium is going from $11.10 (2023) to $.50 (2024)! What? A major misprint? So I called the member number, and got it verified. Yes, $.50 per month for next year!
The skeptical person I am, where's the catch?

Deductible $505 -->$545, ok, expected.

I had to dig out the 2023 ANC to compare to find a subtle text difference:
2023 - The deductible applied to Tier 3 Preferred Brand Drugs, Tier 4 Non-Preferred drugs, Tier 5 Specialty, and Tier 6 Select/Diabetic Drugs.
(The cheap drugs in Tiers 1 & 2 were free or cheap and the deductible did NOT apply)
But for 2024, no mention of that exclusion. Looks like the user pays everything until the $545 deductible is met no matter what Tier. There are a couple other changes, but for me those changes are not a big concern.
Preferred Pharmacy list and formulary for 2024 not there yet.

So that's how the premium drops from $11.10 to $.50 per month!

I'm not on any ongoing prescription drugs, in 2023 only antibiotics for surgery. Less than $50 for the year (well, at least SO far!:)).

I am also on the Wellcare Value Script plan. I received a letter saying my plan will go from $8.10 to $0.00. That is not a mistype on my part. It really says zero. I'll have to wait until Oct 15th to find if my preferred pharmacy will change.

My brochure says that during the deductible stage, drugs on tier 1 are $5 or $0 and drugs on tier 2 are either $10 or $2. Both down from 2023.

Last edited:
Wow - amazing that those WellCare Part D plans have chosen to go to zero or nearly zero.

DH is on Aetna Part D which was $6.60 this year. We haven’t received anything yet. Looks like some folks havent had much change in price, others have doubled or worse. I guess we’ll see what happens.

Annual enrollment for Part D is October 15 to December 7 so I guess we’ll be hearing soon.

Last edited:
are those $0 or $0.50 plans available to anyone?

I am also on the Wellcare Value Script plan. I received a letter saying my plan will go from $8.10 to $0.00. That is not a mistype on my part. It really says zero. I'll have to wait until Oct 15th to find if my preferred pharmacy will change.

My brochure says that during the deductible stage, drugs on tier 1 are $5 or $0 and drugs on tier 2 are either $10 or $2. Both down from 2023.

UPDATE: After reading your response, I carefully went through and compared the new 2024 ANC with the 2023 ANC. What - a - mess! It all appears to be a cut and paste mess on top of a "document" that was never reviewed by someone with sense! If Wellcare sold electric kitchen knife sharpeners, their instructions would keep Urgent Care Centers busy!

The whole layout of the booklet is trash. The table of contents is ridiculous, there is no orderly flow to the booklet. A bottom of a right-hand page has some bracketed words. They are really the headings for the NEXT page's columns, that you see AFTER turning the page! No attention to page breaks. No attention to the flow of use, i.e., how you would actually USE the insurance!

The part I quoted earlier up-thread from the 2024 ANC was from the "Initial Coverage Stage" early in the booklet. But later in the booklet, there is a "Changes to the Deductible Stage". It turns out that the later "Deductible Stage" is in actuality BEFORE the "Initial Coverage Stage"... even though the "Deductible Stage" has coverage... got that? :nonono: Why didn't they just start out with the Deductible Stage, then move to the "Initial Coverage Stage", etc., like the insurance actually works?

Wellcare was, and is, a big provider of Medicaid. Maybe nobody READS documents there!

Anyway, it appears that in the what I will call the "Deductible not met stage", the user pays either $5 or $0 cost sharing for Tier 1 Preferred Drugs.
And either $10 or $5 for Tier 2 Generic drugs.
Both are less than 2023 cost sharing amounts.

For Tiers 3, 4, 5, and 6, the user pays full cost until the deductible is reached, which is the same verbiage as 2023.

So... it would seem that Wellcare has decided to grab the marketing spot for the lowest-priced Part D plan, undercutting the usuals. At this point, who knows what the formulary will look like, don't know the pharmacy network changes yet, either.
I have also found (not a new find!) that the names of some things mentioned in the ANCs do not line up with the Wellcare website, like never the two shall meet. I guess at Wellcare nobody looks or uses it.

For those looking up Wellcare on the Medicare website starting October 15th, I suggest waiting about two weeks before getting serious. In previous years, the first week+ of info was wrong and shifting. Eventually, they send settled info to Medicare, and then one can figure out by inputting your own test cases, Who are the Preferred Pharmacys, what drugs of interest are covered and pricing.
I used to use the Shingrix shot as a straw drug, not knowing what else to use, but now by Medicare edict, that shot is a freebie!

Last edited:

I’m in California and on the same Part D plan and will see the same increase.

Wow - amazing that those WellCare Part D plans have chosen to go to zero or nearly zero.

DH is on Aetna Part D which was $6.60 this year. We haven’t received anything yet. Looks like some folks havent had much change in price, others have doubled or worse. I guess we’ll see what happens.

Annual enrollment for Part D is October 15 to December 7 so I guess we’ll be hearing soon.

We are both on Aetna Part D and it went from $6.60 to $9.80 per month but deductible dropped from $505 to $280. Lots of other changes, as reported by others, on drops in copays for Tier 1 and Tier 2 but the biggest kicker is that insulin products were $10/month this year but going up to government max of $35/month next year. May need to stock up before end of the year.

Marc

UPDATE: After reading your response, I carefully went through and compared the new 2024 ANC with the 2023 ANC. What - a - mess! It all appears to be a cut and paste mess on top of a "document" that was never reviewed by someone with sense! If Wellcare sold electric kitchen knife sharpeners, their instructions would keep Urgent Care Centers busy!

The whole layout of the booklet is trash. The table of contents is ridiculous, there is no orderly flow to the booklet. A bottom of a right-hand page has some bracketed words. They are really the headings for the NEXT page's columns, that you see AFTER turning the page! No attention to page breaks. No attention to the flow of use, i.e., how you would actually USE the insurance!

That's so odd! You said it's the printed version that came in the mail. Can you access the .pdf version online and see if it makes more sense? Mine (Aetna SilverScript SmartrtSaver) was located in Plan and Benefits/ Plan Benefits Documents. They posted the ANC, Formulary and Pharmacy directory.

Same here, zero monthly premium. The brochure stated they are dropping CVS and replacing it with ExpressScripts (which has a 1.8 review rating by customers, if that means anything.).

_B

Same here, zero monthly premium. The brochure stated they are dropping CVS and replacing it with ExpressScripts (which has a 1.8 review rating by customers, if that means anything.).

_B

I missed the change in pharmacy benefits managers. Thanks for pointing it out. I have had Express Scripts in the past (and DW has them with her current plan) without any issue.

In any event we will wait until late October to dig much deeper for both of us.

I am starting to hate this annual Part D dance:mad:

The part I quoted earlier up-thread from the 2024 ANC was from the "Initial Coverage Stage" early in the booklet. But later in the booklet, there is a "Changes to the Deductible Stage". It turns out that the later "Deductible Stage" is in actuality BEFORE the "Initial Coverage Stage"... even though the "Deductible Stage" has coverage... got that? :nonono: Why didn't they just start out with the Deductible Stage, then move to the "Initial Coverage Stage", etc., like the insurance actually works?

Wellcare was, and is, a big provider of Medicaid. Maybe nobody READS documents there!

Anyway, it appears that in the what I will call the "Deductible not met stage", the user pays either $5 or $0 cost sharing for Tier 1 Preferred Drugs.
And either $10 or $5 for Tier 2 Generic drugs.
Both are less than 2023 cost sharing amounts.

For Tiers 3, 4, 5, and 6, the user pays full cost until the deductible is reached, which is the same verbiage as 2023.

So... it would seem that Wellcare has decided to grab the marketing spot for the lowest-priced Part D plan, undercutting the usuals. At this point, who knows what the formulary will look like, don't know the pharmacy network changes yet, either.
I have also found (not a new find!) that the names of some things mentioned in the ANCs do not line up with the Wellcare website, like never the two shall meet. I guess at Wellcare nobody looks or uses it.

For those looking up Wellcare on the Medicare website starting October 15th, I suggest waiting about two weeks before getting serious. In previous years, the first week+ of info was wrong and shifting. Eventually, they send settled info to Medicare, and then one can figure out by inputting your own test cases, Who are the Preferred Pharmacys, what drugs of interest are covered and pricing.
I used to use the Shingrix shot as a straw drug, not knowing what else to use, but now by Medicare edict, that shot is a freebie!

It appears that Wellcare uses the term "Stage 1: Yearly Deductible Stage" as the period that you are filling the deductible amount. Tiers 1 and 2 are covered thru this stage. One has no coverage for drugs in Tiers 3 thru 6. The coverage on Tier 1 and Tier 2 drugs are slightly lower in '24 than they were in 2023.

Then Wellcare uses the term "Stage 2: Initial Coverage Stage" where Tier 3 thru 6 are covered. In this Stage 2, Tier 3 drugs change from a fixed copay to a percentage of total cost. Tier 4 thru 6 remain virtually the same in '24 as '23 with relatively minor changes.

The next stage "Coverage Gap Stage" (a.k.a. Donut Hole) occurs when your copay plus the drug plan's share reaches $5,030 in '24 from $4,660 in '23.

From other sites, the next step is the "Catastrophic Stage" (a Medicare term). This occurs when the total you pay plus the drug plan's share reaches $8,000. This has changed from a 5% Copay to a full coverage, i.e. no copay.

The Pharmacy Benefit Manager is changing from CVS Caremark to Express Scripts. I'm not sure how that will affect preferred pharmacies.

I won't comment on the layout of the mailing other than I didn't find it difficult to read thru once you got past the "Summary of Important Costs" section. I don't put any faith in such and always go to the detailed section of such things. Bear in mind that this is info from an overview pamphlet mailing and not the official "2024 Evidence of Coverage" document which had the legal, detailed info.

I got my and DW's letter in the mail for Aetna Silver script part D, this year both our premiums are 7.40 each, next year 12.30 / month. I hardly used it last year and my DW has only been on it since July has not used it. I'll be glad when the increase is maxed out at 10% / year. I think it's next year when it goes into effect. We live in Alabama.

I got my and DW's letter in the mail for Aetna Silver script part D, this year both our premiums are 7.40 each, next year 12.30 / month. I hardly used it last year and my DW has only been on it since July has not used it. I'll be glad when the increase is maxed out at 10% / year. I think it's next year when it goes into effect. We live in Alabama.

The 6% increase limit per year on premiums supposedly is effective 2024 to 2030. I originally thought this meant on each plan but from what I am seeing this must not be true? I saw somewhere something about the 6% being on the national base so I'm not sure what that means or how predictable for any one plan.

If anyone knows how this works, please post. What I am seeing now is some plans are going down and some going up in varying significant amounts.

Back
Top Bottom