Medigap pricing-Community pricing vs Attained Age Pricing?

FWIW the Silver Sneakers plan (was full cost, now half, think I heard was going back to full?) is a nice bonus since we both use the Y.

Until a couple of years ago AARP/UHC offered Silver Sneakers which provided full gym membership. Then, I think two years ago they quit offering that and offered a 50% discount at some gyms (not nearly as good). But for 2020 they are going back to something more like Silver Sneakers. It isn't that brand (I think it is called Renew) and it offers free gym membership. One nice thing is that you can use it with multiple gyms, not just one. So I could pick one gym (from the list of possibles) that has great strength training options and pick another one for cardio. I like being able to have more than one option.

Until a couple of years ago AARP/UHC offered Silver Sneakers which provided full gym membership. Then, I think two years ago they quit offering that and offered a 50% discount at some gyms (not nearly as good). But for 2020 they are going back to something more like Silver Sneakers. It isn't that brand (I think it is called Renew) and it offers free gym membership. One nice thing is that you can use it with multiple gyms, not just one. So I could pick one gym (from the list of possibles) that has great strength training options and pick another one for cardio. I like being able to have more than one option.

The current one is called Renew Active. https://uhcrenewactive.com/home

I checked and it includes our local city owned fitness center. I used to go there to walk on the 1/8 mile indoor track until my hips deteriorated. Now that I've gotten shiny new titanium hips I'm going to join up there again. It's $30/mo for resident seniors.

Yesterday I did the application for the AARP/UHC Plan G at $114.22/mo. I called DHs Via Benefits to ask why their rate was $5.00/mo higher for that same plan. The very nice and knowledgable representative could not explain the price difference. The only advantage to me signing up through DHs Via Benefits is that they are set up for auto reimbursement from the HRA. I can handle that myself so I went directly through AARP/UHC. He did confirm that when DH signs up for AARP/UHC through Via Benefits they do ask for his AARP membership number so that we can get the household discount of 5% for each of us.

So once I'm on Medicare in about 6 weeks my fitness membership should be free!

Thanks everyone for your very helpful input. This Medicare stuff is so different than our last 6 years on ObamaCare. I'm a details/numbers person who enjoys researching options and costs. This must be overwhelming for some seniors.

Next step is Part D. On the Medicare.gov site I found a Wellcare plan for $14.20/mo and my 3 current Rxs would all be a $0 cost at our local grocery store pharmacy. Sounds like a good start!

Last edited:
I start Medicare Feb 1, 2020 so I've been shopping and learning.

I've decided on a Medigap Plan G. I thought I was all decided on AARP/United HealthCare for $114.22/mo. I liked that they use Community Pricing. Then I talked to Boomer Benefits. They were very helpful, answered a lot of questions and sent me an email with a .pdf of all my plan options and rates.

Boomer Benefits recommended Mutual Of Omaha Plan G $112.70/mo. which has Attained Age pricing. Highly rated according to Boomer Benefits. I asked about the AARP Plan G and the Community pricing. He told me that Ohio is an attained age state and that all companies raise their rates due to inflation.

So I'm a bit confused. I was liking that AARP has a large discount that gets smaller every year and that they are open about their prices. I've heard great stuff about Boomer Benefits so I want to seriously consider their advice to go with Mutual of Omaha.

So with all the folks on Medicare here, what's your experience with rate increases for these 2 companies? Is Attained Age pricing vs Community pricing going to make a difference over many years? If Ohio is an "attained age state" what does that mean for AARP/UnitedHealthCare Community pricing? I wish I would have asked that when I had the Boomer Benefits guy on the phone.

And another thing I'm dealing with is that many of these companies offer a 5%-7% discount of another person in your household enrolls with the same company. DH starts Medicare in April, 2020 but he has to go through his pension plans connector Via Benefits in order to get his HRA allowance. It looks like he has options form only 7 Medigap insurers and my choices for me of Mutual Of Omaha or AARP/UnitedHealthCare are not in his options.

Hi Sue-

Here's some feedback for you as I believe some of what you were told was incorrect:

1) Ohio is not an "attained age" state. AARP/UHC Medigap is Community Rated in Ohio according to their 2019 Agent guide.

That said, because of how AARP/UHC uses the enrollment discount, you'll still see a rate table in a UHC enrollment kit that looks similar to the attained age rate tables in Mut of Omaha kit or any other attained age table from another carrier.

I think what is missing from the "attained age" vs "community" rating discussion that's more important is when do the rates level off? For AARP, as of 2020 rates at least, it's at age 80+. Meaning someone who is age 82 pays the same as age 90, etc.

Most carriers using "Attained age" rating won't have level rates until the insured reaches age 90 or even 100.

I am by no way advocating that one of the aforementioned carriers is "better" or worse than the other. They just use different methodologies and it's up to you to decide which one you're more comfortable with.

2) All carriers publish their rates for every plan and age, so to your comment about a carrier being more "open", you should always request to see the complete rate table in the "Outline of Coverage" for whatever carrier and plan you are considering. It will show rates for every age and every plan offered by that carrier in your state. It's a required document that any agent is supposed to give you (but many don't in my experience).

The internet has been great for information access, but I've noticed that online quoting makes it easier for companies to hide how rates change over the life of a policy. So do your homework by asking for the Outline of Coverage and looking at those rate tables!

3) As you probably recognize, Medigap plans are basically commodities. A plan G in your state is going to cover gaps in medicare the same as any other plan G by law. Some carriers do add bells and whistles like a Fitness program (although not that common on Medigap but some like AARP do have it in most states).

What you are buying then is basically financial strength of issuer and their ability to underwrite effectively plus customer service. Yes, underlying Medical cost inflation in US is 5-6% per year, so every carrier is dealing with that. But because carriers in many states can underwrite applicants applying outside Medigap open enrollment or a Guarantee Issue period, the companies do wield some power in trying to keep claims costs down. Some do it better than others.

There is some data out there about rate increase history depending upon the state and company. But that's still backward looking. I will tell you that as someone who works in the industry a carrier's rate increase history can vary significantly between the same product offered in two different states. My advice is to not try to look out too far and pick the best thing for you over the next 3-5 years. Something will likely change -- usually in the industry -- in an unexpected way over that horizon so even the best laid plans today may not be valid in the future.

Hope this is helpful to you! Best of luck in making your decision.

Last edited:

Just FYI - it is true AARP/UHC dropped SilverSneakers from Medigap in some states in favor of their own fitness program.

But there are still other states that kept SilverSneakers on the AARP/UHC Medigap.

So to anyone feeling confused, it depends on which state you live in on the fitness program attached to your AARP/UHC Medigap.

I have had Mutual of Omaha Plan G for 3 years. Premium started at $90 a month has gone up to $110 per month. I am hearing about big premium increases in Mutual of Omaha in some states (they close the book on one company and start another company). So I applied to AARP UHC and was accepted at $103 per month for Plan G (the $103 is guaranteed for 12 months) plus I will get free access to the local YMCA (through Renew Active) so I am switching to UHC. DH has also applied to switch from Mutual of Omaha to AARP UHC but he has a prexisiting condition so he is going through underwriting, not sure if he will be approved for the switch. That is the bad thing about Medicare supplements--in most states you have to go through underwriting to be able to switch so if you have a health condition you could be stuck with your original plan and company.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom