Meniscectomy Vs Knee Replacement

I think there’s a difference between a lateral and medial injury and effects with medial being both the more common and worse impact.

That said, I’m 42 years past a lateral removal and hanging in there. No running since. Lots of walking. I do use a treadmill at times with its cushy surface. Had to give up ski trips a few years back as recovery from pain and stiffness became too much. Still hit the local hill for a half day few times a year.

At the time of removal, was told I would need a KR sooner or later. Three years ago I had it re-examed for the first time as it was acting up more severely than it ever had. Told I was 2-5 years out yet, but today it’s not as bad as then. Did learn I’m not a PKR candidate because of poor bone alignment - bow legged. So TKR is what it will be.

That was my story until about two years ago. About that time my knee’s ability to function OK started down a much steeper slope. Thankfully it lasted long enough that one TKR should be good for the rest of my time on this planet.

Of course you want the best surgeon available if possible, but a meniscectomy is not a difficult procedure. I would not travel far or wait long if a competent surgeon is available locally and sooner. A friend who just had one done and her top choice was not available for months was advised this by her sports med doctor, I think.

My knees are a mess too, from years of running, but PT to strengthen, then regular cycling has saved them. I can only walk a few miles max, but can bike for two hours. I also use a newer powdered Glucosamine Sulfate product that apparently helps renew the cartilage. No problems since last tear 3 years ago when I rehabbed it with a exercise program and ramped up the cycling.

Back
Top Bottom