Met Up With Folks From Grade School

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Went out to dinner with a few of my classmates from dinner last night.

It was nice. Yet at the same time, topics were health issues and old age.

Found of that one classmate who I think just retired now has cancer and has it rough with the chemo. I couldn't help but think, if you can retire early, do it as you never know what tomorrow brings.

We graduated from grade school nearly 50 years ago. I was thinking "holy smokes" where has time gone? I'm not one of the folks who keeps in touch with old classmates every year like some do. So, each time we meet up is like peaking into a time machine.

We had a relative pass away yesterday--8 months shy of 100 years old. Oma grew up in Dresden, Germany, and escaped Hitler's wrath 11/1938 when the family sailed for Ellis Island.

She and all of her remaining childhood friends reacquainted themselves at about 85 years old online. And they used to meet at different places in Europe for 2 weeks every year.

And they had a ball.

I have a couple of grade school friends I keep in touch with via FB, and have seen a few more here and there at HS reunions, probably 1/4-1/2 of my graduating class went to grade school together. And it's Very close to our 50th HS reunion time.

Starting to see more death notices on our old school FB page.
Time does go by faster than you'd think, that's for sure.

Grateful for every day.

I’ve been friends with my bff since we were 5 in kindergarten. We went all through school together.
We text each other just about every day.

I went to a Catholic grade school 1-8 with most of us being in the same class for those 8 years. Once in a while we get together although the last time was 2016. Some still live here and I see them at the store etc. because I still live here!
Several have passed away. One just a few weeks ago. I was just thinking that several of the males have passed and I was wondering what the ratio was male/females.
What a morbid thought.
It’s just weird being this age (64) and it’s like it happened overnight.

I have stayed in contact with a few classmates from school. In small country schools you start with the 10 to 25 kids on the first day of school and you graduate with those same kids. Not much of a change in enrollment. I think about a lot of them as I age don't know much about most of them though.

I got a text from a friend last night that one of my classmates was killed yesterday in a car accident. I haven't seen her in 40 years, but I remember her and the memories of those school years together. I also knew her husband and his family. He lived but in serious condition is what I have been told.

That is very nice you can get together with those you grew up with. Nice!

I haven't stayed in contact with anybody from school, at all.

Sometimes I Google one of their names, and can find out a little bit of what they've been up to. Or not. The guy with red hair and buck teeth that my mother wanted me to date (but I wouldn't), turned out to be very well to do, and owned a big high tech business in Denver.

My current 2 best friends are ones that I went to school with from 2nd grade onward. One of those even did 4 years of college with me. We weren't always in touch as we moved around the country for jobs and life. But over the last decade, we re-established our close friendship as 2 of us moved back to our home area. The 3rd never left. We still have a great time together. This evening we are having dinner together to finalize our plans with a rented condo for Thanksgiving week in Virginia Beach. 2 or 3 of us travel together 2-3 times per year on average.

We still laugh about things we did as grade schoolers, high schoolers and beyond. And yes, we thoroughly discuss all of our health, aging, and financial topics. I'm the only one that has retired yet though!

Some of my grade school classmates keep in touch with each other all the time. That's not the case for me as that was pretty much just a chapter in my life that I turned the page and moved on. I did go to a 20 year reunion but then after that dropped off out of contact until 40 years later. I've been to a few get togethers since. It is nice to look back a bit even if just to see the humor in how things were. Also, the people there were happy to see me. I realized, those reunions are not only for me but for their memories too.

I have one friend from grade school with whom I've stayed in touch. He met his wife through me thirty-some years ago, and now our wives are best friends. We went to a college football game this weekend and had a great time. It just feels very comfortable whenever the four of us get together.

Back
Top Bottom