Michael Buble thumbs down?

USGrant1962

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So I was listening to the generic Pandora Christmas music channel. I started flipping through songs/artists and doing thumbs up/down to customize the channel. I like both classic and modern stuff, so thumbs up to various Perry Como and TSO tunes.

I think I "thumbs up'ed" one Buble tune, and I like that he is covering guys like Sinatra, Martin, etc. Eventually Buble comes up singing "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas" and it sounded really bad to my ear. I wasn't sure why, and I did the thumbs down. The very next song was Johnny Mathis doing the same "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas" and it sounded so much better.

It struck me that Buble was singing in uptalk! Yuk! :( And he's Canadian.

It's beginning to look like Christmas? Everywhere you go? There's a tree in the Grand Hotel? And one in the park as well? The sturdy kind the doesn't mind to snow?

Ugh. I'm not even that old, I just happen to live east of the Sierra Nevada.

EDIT - oh, and get off my lawn, I guess...

Face it, Johnny Mathis is amazing. :D Younger performers can't even begin to compete with him!

Agree. I listen to the Ratpack singing Xmas songs on Spotify and have no idea why I'd bother with Bublé. He's not a patch!

OMG! I get tired of the same old Christmas songs so quickly. Even new recordings of same. Fortunately these days I don’t hear them unless I go to the grocery store.

Last edited:
Johnny Mathis is an acquired taste. I never acquired it.

I thought the Buble was OK up to 2:00, then I see what you are saying.

I had to cleanse my ears with the Bing Crosby version of the song.

There are a few that are new classics from the GenX/Elder-Millenial era:

Last Christmas (I gave you my heart): Originally George Michael, redone by Taylor Swift
All I want for Christmas: Mariah Carey
And of course, a bit older, Little Drummer Boy: Bowie/Crosby
Oh and, Let them Know it's Christmas: Band Aid

Last edited:
There are a few that are new classics from the GenX/Elder-Millenial era:

Last Christmas (I gave you my heart): Originally George Michael, redone by Taylor Swift
All I want for Christmas: Mariah Carey
Oh and, Let them Know it's Christmas: Band Aid
I actually like all of those. I mean, I don't LOVE them, nor do I have to tolerate them. I just like them.

Good list.

My all-time favorite Christmas Classic is: "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas". I can't tell you how much I look forward to hearing it every Christmas season....

So I was listening to the generic Pandora Christmas music channel.

For a bit of a different take try this from Pandora:

Il Volo (Holiday) Radio. It's not perfect, they still overplay some of the already overplayed famous oldies, but there are other more interesting songs and variations of the famous oldies. While they still have Wayne Newton and Mr. Bluble, they also have performers like Andrea Bocelli. Just this morning I head The Wexford Carol with Yo Yo Mah on the cello and a lady with a wonderful voice doing the vocal. It was beautiful.

Maybe others can suggest other better combinations of Christmas music.

Last edited:
I dislike Buble. Not sure why. What I’ve been listening is a bit of a jazz style music. Don’t know why I like that anymore than I know why I don’t like Buble, but it sounds good. Search on something like saxophone Christmas music if you’re interested. It’s usually just instrumental music. Turn on the fireplace, the tree lights and chill.

Last edited:
Face it, Johnny Mathis is amazing. :D Younger performers can't even begin to compete with him!

+1

I have every Johnny Mathis XMas album. They are all fabulous and always start listening to them the day after Halloween. If you haven't heard The Secret of Christmas...highly recommend you give it a listen. Merry Christmas all!

Reactions: W2R
I have been enjoying "Christmas Traditions" on SiriusXM (also available on Pandora, I believe). All the songs were recorded from the 40s to the 60s. While it's slightly depressing that almost all of the artists have passed away, they do bring up fond memories of the season as a child.

This year I have gravitated to mostly instrumental Christmas tunes. There are come good compilations on Spotify. Just search "Christmas instrumental."

Grandma got runover by a reindeer.

adam sandler hanukkah song

I hate that one, although, truthfully, I don't think I've ever just heard it. But the video for it, which I've seen a dozen or more times, is excruciating! Bowie looks so earnest, and Bing is like "who the hell is this kid?" It's very possible it sounds fine without the images, I'll have to keep my ears peeled for it.

Back
Top Bottom