Minimalist Coffee

I recently switched from a Keurig machine to a simple pour over drip coffee method. It’s the best cup of coffee I’ve ever had. I’m surprised to hear there are so many problems with pour over? What am I missing? My pour over couldn’t be any simpler to use. Boil water, grind coffee, insert filter, pour hot water over grounds directly into my thermal coffee mug. I get a fresh hot cup every time and have nothing to clean up afterward.

We tried two different French press makers before switching and I hated both of them. Too much fuss, and by the time the coffee was ready it was already luke warm.

I’m surprised to hear there are so many problems with pour over? What am I missing? My pour over couldn’t be any simpler to use.
If you get super geeky about it, you can't control the extraction time, so you can't really control the brew. It's based on whatever filter you're using. "Proper" pour-over technique also has you pour a little bit of water through the filter at a time, rather than all in one shot. My friend who is a pour-over guy stands over his cup for a few minutes while brewing... his wife doesn't mess with it, she just pours it all in at once and doesn't mind.

So it's only "fuss" if you care to do it the "proper" way or care about the extraction/brewing time regarding strength. But Kevin's point which I can confirm about the Clever Dripper is that it's easy cleanup like pour-over, simpler than pour-over, with the taste and body near to that of a french press. :)

Daughter likes to cold-brew coffee. Mix water and grounds and stick it in the fridge overnight. I was skeptical, but I have to say cold-brew lacks the acidity of most hot-brew coffee I've had (and enjoyed). You still can get a strong cup of coffee and can heat it up if you like. If sour/bitter coffee turns you off, try cold brew.

If you get super geeky about it, you can't control the extraction time, so you can't really control the brew. It's based on whatever filter you're using. "Proper" pour-over technique also has you pour a little bit of water through the filter at a time, rather than all in one shot. My friend who is a pour-over guy stands over his cup for a few minutes while brewing... his wife doesn't mess with it, she just pours it all in at once and doesn't mind.

So it's only "fuss" if you care to do it the "proper" way or care about the extraction/brewing time regarding strength. But Kevin's point which I can confirm about the Clever Dripper is that it's easy cleanup like pour-over, simpler than pour-over, with the taste and body near to that of a french press. :)

Interesting. I’ve only been doing it for a few weeks but every cup has been amazing. I grind the beans right before I need them. I pour a small amount into the cup and let it sit for around 30 seconds. Then I continue to slowly pour more water, never letting it get more than half way to the top of the filter. It only takes me a few minutes but it makes an amazing cup.

Of course I’m coming from a Keurig, so I think almost any pour over is going to taste better than a K-Cup.

I am not sure if its the situation or the pour-over. The only time I use my pour-over is when the electricity is out. In that case it is the best cup of joe I have ever had, that morning. Ciao

This post should probably be in "Blow that Dough", but I need to warn you, this addiction can add up quickly if you're not careful. My coffee journey started at $0/cup (crew dog swill in USAF) to my recent purchase of an $800 espresso machine and a $450 espresso quality grinder with everything in between. Fortunately, Mr Schwab paid for it via a transfer bonus. We buy fresh beans from a local roaster for $10/lb which is real cheap by today's standards and enjoy an Americano and 2 shots of espresso each and every day. One has to have their vices.

If I was going cheap, I'd have to suggest a French Press as a great beginning. Followed closely by the Bialetti Moka Pot. I hope whatever method he/she chose has worked out for the OP.

Back
Top Bottom