Most Daring/Crazy Thing You've Ever Done

While I did go to sea on boats that were designed to sink, the boldest thing I probably ever did was the first weekend of my senior year at USNA. I drove alone to a women's college 75 miles away on a Saturday night. I didn't know anyone there or even know exactly where it was. And I had no particular plan as to what I would do when I got there, but I was fairly certain that there would be young women, which was motivation enough. When I finally arrived after my long drive, it appeared deserted, but I saw some signs for a "mixer" and followed them. I found myself in a very large room with hundreds of young women. I coolly looked around the room for the best looking one, and when I found her, I walked right up and asked her to dance. She said "no, thank you". But I pleaded my case. Eventually, her friends gave her a look and a shrug, and she relented. And that was how I met the young wife 39 years ago.

Last edited:
I babysat live nuclear missiles in 1966 that were ready to be armed at a moments notice. We had Migs fly over us taking radar pictures so they could provide target info to their surface to surface missiles. We were told we had 11 minutes to live to launch our set of four missiles before we were hit. To launch the four, it took 12 minutes. Our hardened site was no match for what they could throw at us. :blush:

Some would say this. That's me and the Mrs. at Preikestolen Rock in Norway.

Attachments

• 2420.jpg
    2420.jpg
    859.9 KB · Views: 29
While I did go to sea on boats that were designed to sink, the boldest thing I probably ever did was the first weekend of my senior year at USNA. I drove alone to a women's college 75 miles away on a Saturday night. I didn't know anyone there or even know exactly where it was. And I had no particular plan as to what I would do when I got there, but I was fairly certain that there would be young women, which was motivation enough. When I finally arrived after my long drive, it appeared deserted, but I saw some signs for a "mixer" and followed them. I found myself in a very large room with hundreds of young women. I coolly looked around the room for the best looking one, and when I found her, I walked right up and asked her to dance. She said "no, thank you". But I pleaded my case. Eventually, her friends gave her a look and a shrug, and she relented. And that was how I met the young wife 39 years ago.

Great story! And a daring adventure!

While here, I stepped into North Korea, for about a second. This was back in 1971. Oldmike

5171409873_95f9b86801_b.jpg

Funny how looking at that picture makes me extremely squeamish, but I worked hundreds of feet underground in a mine and never thought twice about it.:confused:

I've always been averse to heights, (hence my one & only parachute jump in a vain attempt to overcome it)......my late wife used to love amusement park rides, the higher the better, and dragged me on a couple.

Then in 1983, we visited a gold mine in Witwatersrand, RSA, with two tier cage type elevators, (they apparently slow the rate of descent for tourists), and she was somewhat claustrophobic.

I was, of course, totally sympathetic......reminded her of the terrifying experiences she'd subjected me to, and told her to "Get in the *** elevator". :angel:

DH is a experienced drag racer (super pro and top dragster). I think he had dreams I would become one as well. Together we took a super comp class to get licensed. You actually drive a dragster. DH had no problem meeting the requirements for a license. As it turned out, I loved burnouts but could NOT make my foot stay on the gas after launch. I competed in skydiving, taught hang-gliding, flew sailplanes and was a decent 5.10 rock climber.

But high speed on pavement? Even for just a quarter mile? Uh, no. That was terrifying.

Last edited:
I was an entrepreneur in a consumable business in the 70's and early 80's. We'll leave it at that.

Walked out of a restaurant in Oslo, Norway one evening with some friends.

My brain registred two guys glaring at eachother from each side of the wide door opening. And started to realize one was pointing a gun straight at the other. But before my legs could be told I'd walked out right between them and out into the street.

Back
Top Bottom